VR6 Rev gauge

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by veedubnutz, Aug 13, 2006.

1. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Right, i need to connect up my rev gauge on the mk2 clocks with the vr6 conversion. However, i havent got a clue what colour the wire for the gauge feed is at the fusebox? Any ideas?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Sorry they wornt work right, as they are designed for a 4 pot engine and you have a 6 pot. The feed actually comes off the ECU afaik? Check out my Fusebox FAQ, it has CE2 MK2 & Corrado VR6 fusebox wiring there.

I've heard talk of coverters which change the 6pot signal to what the MK2 clocks expect?

3. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Yeah you can convert the signal taking the top two feeds off the coilpack, putting an inline 1k resistor from each feed then combining the two feeds, just need to know which connector it is at the fusebox/clocks.... looking at your FAQ though looks like soild green on U1

4. rubjonny

Sweet, I think it would make a good FAQ post once you've done it with lots of piccies :)

5. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Hello RJ here! Just a quick update to this post, you should use 1N4004 rectifying diodes rather than 1k 1/4w resistors as originally mentioned. I've also edited to run the output signal to the engine loom pin G1/12 or D/26 rather than splicing into the clock loom which is a neater way to do it :thumbup:

Right then. This was a fairly easy job, finally got round to doing it after a week of driving the car round with no rev gauge!!(No fun when your driving a MK2 VR :lol: ) Thanks to Deako for the information regarding where to take the feed from/resistors etc [:D] .

Obviously original credit goes to veedubnutz [​IMG]

You'll need 2x 1N4004 rectifying diodes and some wire for this mod.

First of all, remove the plastic cover above the coilpack held on with the two splined nuts, and pull the HT leads out of the way, coz they are just plain annoying. You should be able to see the top of the coilpack, theres an electrical connector with 5 pins, and 4 thin metal strips with 10mm nuts on the end. Its the middle 2 nuts we are interested in, you will need to attach leads to these in a minute....

[​IMG]

.... but you need to make them first. Basically cut 4 small lengths of narrow gauge sender cable(about 40mm each) and a reeeealy long one to reach the fusebox, bare back the ends. Next, you will need 2 x 1N4004 rectifying diodes. Cut the legs down to about 20mm and solder a length of cable to each end of each... then you need to join the 2 wires together at the fusebox side and attach the reeeealy long wire to them. Take note of the orientation of the diodes, the will only work one way! you should have something like the pic below. Then make sure you either heat shrink or put insulating tape over the joints to insulate and seal them.

[​IMG]

You will now need to attach the coilpack wire ends to the middle 2 terminals inside the coilpack Now route the long single cable into the car and to the fusebox... you can now cover your coilpack back up.

[​IMG]

Pull your fusebox down and find the connectors which deal with your engine loom, you want to splice the above wire to G1/12 for the CE2 fusebox or D/26 if CE1 fusebox. You may have a wire here already from the VR6 ECU, cut/tape this wire up out of the way and run your new wire to it, sorted [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2016
  6. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Note the amount of fuel :lol:

7. rubjonny

Awesome write up, thanks!
    Just to add, U1 pin 6 is only valid for late MK2 fuse boxes, on the early ones its B pin 19 :)

also you can use G1/12 for the rev counter wire on the CE2 fusebox, saves splicing into the clock loom. on CE1 fusebox can use D/26. The advantage of using these wires is the entire fusebox gets the correct rev pulse, which for one thing means you could use a k-jet fuel pump relay if you fancied it :lol:

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  8. faithless

faithless CGTI Regional Host

Long shot.....

does anyone have the pics from the post as veedubnutz hasn't got them
    anymore would be of great help to me cheers

9. rubjonny

yep i got em, giz a few minutes and i'll upload

10. faithless

11. faithless

[:*:] [:*:]

cheers many thanks

12. rubjonny

note ammount of fuel left, thats something you'll be seeing more often :lol:

13. faithless

yeah i know that has have been running a mk2 vr for
    near on 3 years, until some numpty ran in the back of
    me and wrote it off......

o'well just have to re-shell it [:D]

14. crijonvr6 New Member

so what can you do about the gas gauge issue? how do you make it work?

15. rubjonny

pretty sure there isnt an issue with the gas gauge, mk2/3 level sensors are compatible

16. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Genius!! I need some mk2 clocks with 84,500 on them.

17. gunit-84 Forum Member

hi all can anyone help with this? i have the same problem in my car but the coilpack doent have the poles ontop. can i splice into the wires at the coilpack plug? if so which colours?

18. gunit-84 Forum Member

Sorry figured this out now. The poles were hiding under a little black plastic cover.

19. gunit-84 Forum Member

ok, i still cant figure this out!! tried with the resistors but they dont work. i got 1k resistors but didnt know which wattage to get! must have got the wrong ones! any body know which ones the are?

20. rubjonny