mk2 alternator wiring

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by E.W., May 11, 2008.

1. E.W. New Member

Mk2 golf GTD

I need to replace my faulty alternator but have some issues with the wiring.
    The two alterators have slightly different wiring.

This is the one currently fitted.

[​IMG]

This loom plugs into the alternator, both of the thicker red wires go to the starter, not sure if thats correct? The thinner blur on dissapears into the car loom, havent a clue where is goes.

This is the one I wish to use, I removed it from a GTD so assume this is the one that should be there.

[​IMG]

I got the loom with it and looks like so.....

[​IMG]

Obviously the thick red wire goes to the starter but have no idea about the other two on the plug?

This is what i'm thinking, Chop the muti plug off the alternator that is fitted, Send the two thick red wires to the starter, connect the blue one to the exising blue wire but what is the red/black striped wire for? There is a green one on the original that doen't do anything.
    Appologies for the long post.

2. Electrolytic New Member

Did you figure this one out? I've bought a set of ce2 wiring diesel clocks with a tach for my GTD. The tach isn't working, I'm trying the locate the 'w port' on the alternator thing is my alternator looks a bit like the second picture but with slight differences, I will have a look in the morning. I'm thinking that the wiring would be there in the loom for the tach even if the factory option was not added?