Help me diagnose this 020 problem

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by PhatVR6, Sep 24, 2006.

1. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I was round Paul Bargate's (mk2 scirocco on ITB's that runs mid 12's) last night, he was gutted as he was having real trouble selecting gears.

He'd rang brooky, and he said that he'd probably bent the selector forks in the box.

BUT, you can select gears relatively easily when the engine isn't running. Sometimes they are a bit tight, but most of the time they snik into place spot on.

it's a whole different story when the engine is running. gear selection is nigh on impossible.

I've had a good look at the linkage, some unwanted slackness, but nothing scary, it all appears to be working on that front. Clutch cable is brand new, and it operating the arm to it's limits ok.

So I'm THINKING that the clutch isn't disengaging properly? BUT when you finally so get a gear, the car doesn't drag itself along unwanted like you've expect of thr clutch wass dragging.

I'm stumped! don't know much about the 020.

2. Broke Forum Member

Sounds like clutch not disengaging to me too.
    Does reverse grind if selected? If it grinds, the clutch is dragging.;)

Broke

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I've got this with my car, with the clutch seemingly dragging. No amount of adjustment on the cable helps.

I haven't got it apart yet, but the 4 things on my list are:

- check the clutch release lever in the end casing for wear. Not 100% on access to this. Anyone?
    - there's some bearing in the end casing I seem to recall, so check that
    - box off & check plate in centre of clutch which actuator rod acts on. These crack, wear off centre. Bin & get a new one.
    - Finally the clutch itself.

4. Broke Forum Member

[:[] Weren't you the same person who had so much info on the VWMS boxes it was sick?:lol:

Not sure how to access the actuation finger....OK, suuure. ;) http://www.brokevw.com/TO.html

Yeah, there is one in there somewhere I think, the link above will probably show it;)

Examine the center of that thrust plate for an oval wear mark from the pushrod, or a wear mark too large around to match the pushrod diameter. If you find wear like that, look at the pushrod bushing, as it may be worn and allowing the pushrod to wobble on the center of the thrust plate.

In case you need info on the pushrod bushing;) http://www.brokevw.com/020seal.html

:thumbup:

Broke

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

[:$] :lol: Got all the data, but a head like a sieve tho' - haven't touched an 020 in 3 yrs!

6. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

cheers guys, I've passed this info onto paul.