Mk2 8v Gti gearbox codes

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by luke w, Dec 18, 2006.

1. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Could anyone give me the gearbox codes for the 8v boxes that have a taller 5th gear? I believe they were found on very late Mk2 models.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

taller than other 8v gearboxes, or taller than a 16v box? Theres the ACD box, which has identical ratios to the 2y 16v box but with a taller 5th, and theres the AUG box which is identical to the ACD apart from 2nd gear is slightly taller:
    GVK's ratio calc

3. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Taller than other 8v boxes. I remember reading somewhere that some late Mk2 8v Gtis had a taller 5th gear for better motorway driving. Would that be the ACD box?

4. rubjonny

Well the ACD box is listed from 86-89, and the AUG is listed from 89 onwards. Looking further back from 83-86 they had the 9a box, which has identical ratios to the ACD box.
    So to answer your question, there arn't any MK2 GTI 8v boxes with a taller 5th gear, they all have the same 5th gear :lol:

70mph on any of the above gearboxes with std sized wheels will get you 3389rpm, and with a 16v box you'll get 3465rpm.

The early MK3 8v had the AMC & CHE box which have a taller 3rd, 4th & 5th, so you might want to look into one of those. However note that the MK3 boxes have a larger input shaft like the 16v box, so you'll need a 16v clutch kit to fit one. 70 with a MK3 box will get you 3046rpm :)

5. Broke Forum Member

You guys never got these 1.8 MK2 codes (over here found on base models, like the GL)... ASF, ACN, AON, or ACL? Those all have the same ratios, with 0.745 ratio 5ths.

Some of our MK1 boxes got the 0.71 ratios too, the tallest 5th ratio VW put into the 020.

I keep meaning to IM GVK, let him know the 4K on his chart has the wrong R&P, but I keep forgetting:p

Broke

6. rubjonny

I've found the ACN listed for the 84-86 1.8 carbed MK2s, but after 86 they had the AEN which is the same again as the GTI boxes.
    I also have ACL for the RV engine code, which I assume is 1.8 injection with a CAT but it looks to have the same ratios as a GTI gearbox anyway.

I assume the ACN is a 4+E box from a 1.8 carbed MK2?

7. Broke Forum Member

No, the ACL should have taller gears for 2nd-5th compared to the GTI boxes.

ASF, ACN, AON, and ACL all have the same ratios for all of the forward gears, and are all taller boxes compared to the 9A, ACD, AEN, 2Y, AGB, etc. in all of the forward gears (except 1st, all 020 share the same 1st ratio).

I'm not sure what models got which codes there, as you guys have a few models we never got, but if you find those codes over there, they should be "econo" boxes, with the taller gear sets in them.

I noticed on GVKs chart, the ACN is listed the same as the 9A, which isn't correct. He also has the code ACM listed with those, which I don't recognize as an 020 code, I've never heard of ACM, and can't find any info on it anywhere.

His listings for AGS and AOP are incorrect for the ratios of 3rd and 4th as well on his chart.

Hmm, he has the ACH listed in with the ASF and AON codes, and the ACH is a diesel trans with a 3.94 R&P, so that is wrong too.

The 4K has the wrong R&P ratio too as mentioned before..... yeah, I'll have to send him an IM or something:)

Broke

8. rubjonny

Yeah I think you should :lol:
    Looking at your posts and ETKA, the boxes you quote are all 1.8 4+E boxes as you said. I've only been looking up MK2 boxes, I'll look at Scirocco, cabby and Passats as well!

Efter a quick look the only boxes I can find are the ACN & ACL boxes, cant seem to see the others you mentioned anywhere...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  9. Broke Forum Member

Yeah, I sent him a PM, there are more errors on there I noticed, like the first group of trans he listed together shouldn't be together as well, the FN, 4T, FF, and FO shouldn't be grouped up, they're not alike.

I have a ratios page on www.BrokeVW.com that has a stolen list much like the others, but it seems to be correct for the most part. I also have a copy of the Bentley MK2 ratios chart which is correct, and then I listed the teeth on the gears for the various ratios found in the 020, so mystery gears can be identified by tooth count.

I'm sure some of the 020 codes out there you may have never got in the UK, just as there are some we never got over in the US, but if you're just after a taller 8V box, one of those ACN and ACL boxes should do the trick:)

Oh, and that muppet on Vortex I'm fighting with is the cheery bloke who taught me how to work on trans, so he put that signature in there just to be a goofball. Just waiting for that thread to get sent to the Black Hole!

Broke

10. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

So all Mk2 Gti 8v boxes have the same ratios for all gears?

11. TomB New Member

Sorry for the threadjack, but Broke do you know if all code 4T boxes have the same cogs and therefore ratios inside? The reason I ask is I'm looking for a replacement box for my GTD (a 4T box) which is the same code box that was used on the 1.6 Petrol Jettas & Golfs, but for them to have the same ratios would seem a little unusual.
    Cheers,
    Tom

12. Broke Forum Member

I can't say for sure, sorry. The etka I have doesn't include the 4T, so I can't double check it there...it wasn't a code used over here...but the papers I have do include the 4T, and they don't mention any gear ratio changes through the years, but the papers are certainly not 100% covering all models, so it is possible VW changed the ratios, although not likely.

I can tell you the info my papers show, which might help if you can compare them to your trans or to the trans from the 1.6 cars....

The papers say it was used starting in Aug. 1983, in Scirocco and Golf convertible models, using engines 1.6L (51 Kw - 68hp), 1.6L (55 Kw - 74hp), and 1.8L (66 Kw - 89hp), and they also say the trans uses the cones and springs behind the 90mm flanges (meaning it uses the "new" style 90mm flanges).

Ratios are as listed as --

R&P - 3.667
    1st - 3.455
    2nd - 1.94
    3rd - 1.29
    4th - 0.91
    5ht - 0.75

Judging from what the papers are telling me, it looks like the 4T was used in both 1.8L and 1.6L cars, using the same ratios, so you might find the 1.6L cars are a possible donor when hunting for the 4T for your GTD.

Broke

13. TomB New Member

Broke, thats really useful info, thanks for checking. According to a chap on VWDiesel.net the ratios are the same, as he did exactly the same thing I'm hoping to do! He also says it's a swine of a job, but I was expecting that :)
    Thanks again,
    Tom

14. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I keep meaning to change that page. I stole it from somewhere anyway. ;)

I will when I can gain access to my web pages again, I've moved house and my old pc is not in use anymore, so until I get my new lap top online I can't be ar5ed dl'ing some ftp software to gain access.

Or in other words I'm lazy. :lol: