Mk4 Golf - how to dissable passenger airbag

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by vwd40, Jan 17, 2007.

1. vwd40 Forum Member

Got a Mk4 Golf. Need to dissable the passenger airbag to fit a child seat in the front. The model I have doesn't have a switch in the glovebox to turn it off.

How can this be done?

2. Seraph Banned

disconnect battery for 30mins

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

There is a quicker way, but you'll need a new bumper afterwards :lol:
    Sorry I'm bored at work :thumbup:

4. B16 EDF

B16 EDF Forum Member

unfotunatley there is no easy way to disconnect the airbag.

the only way if you do not have an inhibitor switch is to have the convienience module reprogrammed by volkswagen.

this is a costly undertaking and you will also have to sign a disclaimer which is a legal disclaimer to say you are aware of the airbag being disengaged.[:^(]

i know this because i have worked for volkswagen as a service administrator for 3 years and we have had many people enquire.

Most VW dealers will flat out refuse due to the liabilty issue if the **** up and kill your baby.

My advice is to to put the child in the back and buy a second temporary mirror so you can see that your sprog is ok.

do not disconnect the battery because if you turn the ignition key it will store an airbag fault and the light will come on.

this is you should know is an MOT failure and once again it will cost money to reset this.
    when the light is on the airbags are turned off and will not fire if you have an accident.[8(]

Any way food for thought.

5. Seraph Banned

ive just read the thread properly and realised he wants to disable the bag permanently, not just temporarily.

6. B16 EDF

B16 EDF Forum Member

hey we all make mistakes :lol: :lol:

7. vwd40 Forum Member

Well it would be nice to be able to switch it on & off as required?

8. Seraph Banned

hell yeah, i make a full time job of it

9. oak8vgti Forum Member

disconnecting the passenger airbag isnt such a hard job, infact its quite easy, the way its done is by disconnecting the plug from the side of the airbag and fitting a resistor to the vehicle loom (kit from vw comes with a resistor built into the plug) this makes the airbag control unit think the airbag is still fitted and doesnt register it as a fault, the only prob is it cant be turned off and on when ever required, but as your fitting a child seat i dont think this is really a prob. If you have this done you will need to sign a disclaimer saying the airbag has been disconnected if this is done by a vw garage

the airbag light or system do not come under any inspection during an mot

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  10. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Just to add what Oak8GTI said, the airbag controller should be adapter, to have the air bag warning " pass airbag disabled" on start up & air bag to flash 15 times then go off
    also as a warning reminder / disclaimer for the driver