Do you ever get the feeling you know something is going to happen?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PhatVR6, May 28, 2007.

1. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Or in other words, do you believe in fate?

Remember when I crashed the mk4? well I said I felt all day that day before something bad was going to happen, as if I knew it was (and it did).

Well, the other night I was driving back from the supermarket. I grabbed a can out of the cup holder to take a swig, but before it got to my mouth I inexplicably put it back down again. Only to see a car (which would have previously been blocked by the can!) waiting to pull out. Immediately I thought "he's going to pull out" and he did!!! RIGHT out in front of me.

I manged to stop in what felt like an instant (nice brakes). My missus totally crapped herself and screamed, yet I was totally calm, as KNEW it was going to happen.

Bizzarre, but it's got me thinking (especially after watching Signs the other night) that things are just meant to be, so that's why you sometimes know about it before hand, if you read the signs that is..... a mate of mine always says "never get upset when something goes wrong. it was meant to be that way, and something good will happen to correct it eventually". and you know what 9/10 that's exactly what happens.

2. mikedub Forum Junkie

thats spooky :o

i often pick my phone up and as i go to put it back down it rings or a message comes through [:s]

not quite as important as your 'signs' though

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah i often think the phones gona ring and it does

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I don't believe in fate at all, but I do strongly believe that one's brain is capable of actions prior to any conscious thought about them. I'd guess that your peripheral vision had logged the car threatening to pull out, and before it made your concious brain realise what was going on, it said "put the can down and pay attention to that side road!"

First you knew about it was when your central vision clocked the car and the imminent danger.

Just a possibility.

5. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

yes, I agree, but that was just a recent example.

The i will try and thing of some other times it has happened recently as I get stuff like this going on all the time.

Basically, if you get a bad feeling about something, then act on it, it prbably means that something bad IS going to happen.

Honestly, put NOTHING down to coincidence, and look into things more. Don't just think "oh, how wierd" and then think nothing of it....you'll be surprised at how sthings turn out. Or how you can look back on things and think what you were doing before they happened.

Also, watch Donnie Darko if you like stuff like this.

6. Phil. Forum Junkie

I'd believe every word of that. I usually know when my phone is going to ring or receive a text when it's someone I know well or a family member. ie Telepathy.

If you ever get a chance read a book called Supernature by Lyall Watson. It's basically a compilation of amazing accounts of things that have been observed by the scientific community that they have no explaination for. Telekenesis, Phsycokenesis, Autosuggestion etc etc

In other words, yes we know this happes but we can only speculate as to what it is.

There is a case study of 2 Ukrainien brothers in the 1960's who placed 2000 miles apart had a 98% success rate at identifying objects while sat in controlled conditions. Objects like claw hamers, lightbulbs etc and they made hundreds of identifications not just a few.

One of my favourite extracts from the book: During the 50's the American military were looking into alternative weapons and a boffin was doing research into resonance in particular the effects on a human ear from a Gendarme's whistle. They traveled to France and made an exact replica of a french policemans whistle standing at near 10` tall. It was to be operated by some poor unsuspecting guinnipig using massive bellows. When he operated the ballows and the whistle went off the fella dropped dead. His internal organs had fused together!! If you don't believe me get down you local library and get the book out. I'm not much into reading but I couldn't set this book down.

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  7. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

This happens to me a lot but always I think about it after the incident that I was thinking occured and put it down to my mind playing tricks or something...it's hard to explain...so that probably makes no sense.

I do put a lot of things down to coincidence...like the other day when I was taking the car to the accident repair place to get a quote for the rear of the leon to be repaired...I was actually thinking about someone hitting the front of the car on the way down to there....and it happened. I'm not making this up just for a story on this thread...it was so weird. I only thought about it after the event...and put it in my head that I didnt think that before it happened but after and got mixed up...but really I know that I did think it before the event![:s]

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  8. TurbTech Forum Junkie

Interesting stuff!

Not quite the same but along the same lines. Last week i got a call from my mum (shes my boss[8(]). I'd done a lot of overtime recently and she had just worked out what my pay was. So i had the usual "guess how much you're getting this month" "no just bloody tell me" " no go on guess" type conversation and i just came out with the first number that came into my head. It wasn't a rounded number but i guessed it to the pound straight away. I did exactly the same thing last month.

My mum was propper freaked out :lol:

9. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Supernature!!, awesome book. Slighty O/T but remember the first section about frequency?? bit in there about the guy who went insane at work, because the air con system in the building was sending low frequency vibrations to him that irritated the living ****e out of him even though he didn't know he was receiving them.

Well get this (which is also spooky as I haven't read this book for ten years but I was thinking about it this very morning!!) I went to work today, on my own, no one esle in the building. It was eerily quiet. I was working away, and kept getting bugged to death by this barely audible dull vibrating sound. It kept coming, just a short blip, then go away, then come back. I turned off all the things in the office that were making a noise and went looking for it (drove me crackers after an hour).

Eventually I worked out it was the printer sat in top of the filing cabinet right near my desk. I bet the bloody thing has been subconsciously driving me nuts for months!!!! no wonder I'm always peed off at work!!!!

It's staying off, I bet my mood at work improves as a result.

10. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

11. Phil. Forum Junkie

Brilliant book isn't it Phat. I read it about 10 years ago and then again 2 or 3 years ago.

I remember that bit about the low frequency noise driving the bloke mad. Also seem to remember you complaining about work alot aswell... :lol:

12. Seraph Banned

i often wish the phone wouldnt ring, but it still does:lol:

13. Kozy Forum Member

I had a suspicion that I was going to understeer my Golf off the road one day in November.

Approximately 10 minutes before I did, into a lampost.

I get it quite often with meeting people, in specific places at specific times. It's weird.

Is this similar to Deja Vu?

14. fthaimike Forum Addict

Phatty maybe your picking up on something your not supposed to? ala The Matrix

15. farquare Forum Member

know what you mean phatty,

went to change the idle stepper thing on the 306 on sat night and before i took anything apart i reversed the car about 2 foot as the front was sitting above a drain.

sure as feck i dropped the o-ring down the back of the engine and found it lying exactly where the drain would have been if i hadnt moved the car back a bit. :lol:

16. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

I personally think that is due to the fact you can "hear" the phone sending out or recieving a signal when someone is callign you. Like what happens when you put a phone near a speaker the sound of it recieving a message is aubible. I think you can hear it, or it vibrates your ear drum/brian/something else and you end up automatically assosiating that to your phone about to ring.

As with Phattys thing, just look at nature. You see gorillas/monkeys in the jungle sitting down together eating there own **** or whatever, and then without a sound they all get up and walk off in the same direction. Why and what prompted this? They all seemed to just know when to move where to go and in ehat direction. I see what happend with Paul as the same thing.

As we have evolved and developed speach we don't need and have stopped using our instincts of when and how to react, but that doesn't mean it we can't use them.

I certainly don't think its super natural. In fact just the opposite. I believe it is our primeval instincts from millions of years ago that can explain this strange incidents.

We as Human Beings are nothing more than animals on this planet as are Monkeys and elephants

17. mk2driva Forum Member

this sort thing happens to me all the time as well. Couple years back i remember randomly thinkin what would it be like if you broke your nose. Kept thinking it for a while and said to a mate one night about it. Then a few weeks later i got attacked and got a broken nose. Another incident was when i received a gash to my head. Few weeks before i fell and cracked my head off the ground, no damage sustained but i kept wondering what it would be like to have cut my head open. Then a few weeks i did playing footy. I get these sort or premonitions a lot about loads off wee different things. Its strange but then again possibly just a figment of my imagination!?!

18. Phil. Forum Junkie

you would enjoy reading Supernature my friend.

Alot of the book draws refrence to the fact that we are merely animals who have evolved and lost the use of many skills and that so many things that effect animals are bound to affect us.

for example, the are some very simple mollusk type creatures which live at the bottom of the ocean where it's pitch black that know whan to reproduce according to their circalunal rhythms (lunar 29.5 day cycle) ie the waxing and waning of the moon. Now if they can 'feel' this at the bottom of the ocean it's surely bound to affect us humans.

There are all kinds of things like this that we have evolved to ignore and considering we only use about 10-15% of our brain mass it's amazing to think what the human mind is actually capable of.

edit: forgot to say, those who work in bars/clubs full time may have noticed there being more strange goings on and fights etc on full moons!

19. IanCarvell Forum Member

I dont believe in stuff like that at all.

However, the weekend when I rolled my Lupo into a ball at Snetterton on the Saturday qualifying session my preparation and focus was only on Saturday, whereas usually everything is focussed on the Sunday raceday. It was as if my brain knew that Sunday wasn't going to hapen....very strange.

20. superden Forum Addict

Anyone who chooses to ignore their gut instinct is a fool.