** VR6 Cooling Pipe - Breakage **

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Ezy D, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Hi All,

Just doing some maintenance on my VR6. Have flushed & stripped down the cooling system, about to do the sump gasket & rocker cover gasket, clean the sump + oil pump + engine (exterior) & oil cooler.

Whilst trying to get the cooling pipes off of the oil cooler & coolant pipe .... the nozzle on the coolant pipe decided to fracture & break [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] :clap: It broke really easily suggesting the plastic was fatiguing anyway [:x]

It is the Coolant pipe from the engine to the Thermostat housing ! (see below No. 22)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have ordered a new one from the dealership ... but how do I get the old one off ????? [:^(]

Can anyone tell me please .... answers appreciated ! :clap:

[Jeeez it never rains it pours [:x] ... afternoon off work ... excellent [:D] ... work on the car .... then ... pipe breaks & it rains <rant rant rant> [:x]]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  2. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

it's known as the "crack pipe". it's just pressed into the block in the back of the water pump.

give it a waggle and a twist and pull it towards the battery and it'll come out eventually.

known fault, they always break, you can buy metal ones from the US. look on vortex, search for "crack pipe" and you'll find them.

don't forget to add some silicone grease around the end when you fit the new one, and also clean up the block where it seats, as it'll be rusty and won't seal otherwise.

3. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Thanks for the reply Phat [:*:]. I'll put the new dealership one on on Thrusday and perhaps get a metal one and fit it next year !

Phew think I've calmed down now. Going to try and paint the sump today with some High Temperature Hammeritre to keep it looking good.

Thanks ! :clap:

4. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Anyone know of a UK supplier of the Alloy 'crack pipe' leant on mine earlier whilst changing oil presure switch and bust it [ fail ][:x]

6. craggsy Forum Member

strictly dubs are uk suppliers of gruven stuff.........usually cheaper ordering from the states tho

7. develeski Forum Member

i like that crack....pipe lol. im on about my third plastic one now, and always broke in the same place too. that alloy one looks like a long term investment!!! like it:clap: