The great VAG builds - threads u must see before you die

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Admin, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Admin Guest

A 'Threads u must see before you die' section.

Allowing members to post a link and a picture to build threads that are a really great read, the ones that have you in ore for the whole time you read them.

They are always stacked full of useful information and are often overlooked by newer members just becuase they are hard to find/or are old and are deep within the clubs archives. Maybe also allow links to other forums as lots of clubgti members may have missed a great thread on another site.

I know for one that there are lots of worthy threads out there, the ones that i have found have taken me years of stumbling around the forum, and it is always by pure accident that I find one.

The Really Great threads are like rocking horse s_hit, they need to be filed together so that there wealth of knowledge is not lost. I bet there are loads of great threads that I haven't read and if i was not pointed in the right direction would never actually get to read. [:s]

I cannot even now find some of the really great ones i have read in the past, but a library of great build threads would be so inspiring and stacked full of all the good information that people tend to forget.

It could be a sticky in the members motor section?

Or if that thread gets to busy, it could be broken down further and refined into a forum catagorising each thread by the vehicle ie: MK1 Golf, MK2 Golf, MK3 Golf, Polo etc...

What do people think?

That sounds like the better of the ideas, I was thinking of maybe making a sticky in the members motors section, then all the great build threads could have a link posted in there(the great threads - could be narrowed down to the great build threads.

Don't know if it will work tho'?

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The car specific ones are generally in the FAQs, but if they're not, please do point them out.

Trying to think how we'd do a section-by-section top thread thing and it isn't easy, without creating another sub-section per section. Impossible!

I wonder of the General section should have one of these, or just have a dedicated thread with links in to the great threads?

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

As requested...

One rule - don't nominate your own ;)

Something like...

<name of car/owner>

Why I chose it:

Number of thread views:

Quick pic:

Link: [ URL][/URL]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  4. Admin Guest

Niges 2nd MK2 Track car ! Full rebuild thread..

Why I chose it: For the pure ingenuity and 1st class worksmanship.

Quick pic:

[​IMG]

Link: CLICKY

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2007
  5. Admin Guest

GVKs mk2 ex 16v now mit "Reihenmotor sechs"

Why I chose it: For the pain GVK goes through...:lol: :lol: :cry: and the tech stuff. [:D]

Quick pic:

[​IMG]

Link: CLICKY

6. Admin Guest

1977 Mk1 Resto - H8SV8S

Why I chose it: The first thread that put me in ore with the whole VW thing (i don't like the word scene!) had to read it all there and then...

Quick pic:

[​IMG]

LINK: CLICKY

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Good stuff [:D] - an extra detail which would be good for these: Number of thread views:

Edit - oh, and one sentence to sum up why, would be good too. Why I chose it:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  8. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Golf mk2 16vT Mid-Engine RWD Race car build

Why I chose it: Just look at it! All home made!

Quick pic:
    [​IMG]

Link:Click meh!

[8D]

9. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Twin 1.8T Corrado.

Why I chose it: It's a completely custom car. Anyone with the balls to cut a car up that much deserves some respect. Plus it will go like stink.

Quick pic
    [​IMG]
    There used to be boot/floorpan/rear suspension/fuel tank/etc, etc there!!

Link: Clicky

10. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Reeves Mk1 Rebuild

Why I chose it: How to build a proper race/track car. Everything done with performance in mind.

Quick Pic
    From this:
    [​IMG]
    To this:
    [​IMG]

Link: Click

11. ihaveajetta Forum Member

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Idorap's Mk2 Golf rally car build

Why I chose it: It's a comprehensive detailed build, over on a French website, and it's well worth looking through the pictures. His father used to rally a Mk2 (see flying car pics thread) and there are some great ex-works parts going on it.

Quick pic:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Links:

Passiongolfgti
    Vortex

[:D]

13. Phil. Forum Junkie

Gareth's (carbs4ever) amazing mk1 restoration.

Why I choose it. This is a friends car that I still haven't seen in the flesh. The attention to detail is just outsanding in this build with no original item on the car left untouched or sensibly modified. Should also go like stink. [:D]

[​IMG]

LINK

27,769 views so far!!!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  14. Genome

Genome Forum Member

Name: 1978 Lofoten Green Resto Project

Why I chose it: I chose it because of the amount of detail and photos. The guy who built it was a novice to begin with, but with the help of friends managed to build a stunning car, quite inspiring

Number of thread views: Over 25 pages...

Quick pic:

[​IMG]

Link: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2342102&page=1

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

All Smiles carbon-panelled Mk2 Golf

Why I chose it: Totally radical car, never tried before. Unsure of progress in the last year or two since I saw it (edit, horlicks, 2003 IIRC), but still sticks in the mind for what it represents.

Quick pic:

[​IMG]

Link: http://www.coupehaus.co.uk/richardT_project.html

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Dogwood's Mk3 Polo hillclimber

Why I chose it: Knew about this car, had been in it, set times against it etc. But at the end of 2003 it disappeared into the garage for a rebuild with a mouth-watering spec sheet, which just got longer with every update. Early 2008 and enough time had passed to start asking the questions [:D]. Quite glad I did, and the pictures duly followed [:D]

Quick pic:

[​IMG]

Link: https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/157429

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Toyotecs Mk2 Golf 16V turbo WOLF R

Why I chose it: Two weeks ago I spent an hour or so having a really detailed chat to Eddie about the build. Those are the sorts of chats Eddie does. Huge respect for his understanding of mappery. Megasquirted, twin headgasket 16V conversion with an Integrale turbo on it.

Easy to overlook, it might just have a three page build thread on it, but theres a lot of thinking in that car. Very well screwed together in an otherwise standard looking Mk2 package. Makes you wonder what could be produced if only turbo inlet/exh manifolds werent the headache-for-some DIY job they are. I went out in it and the power delivery, the mapping its very, very quick. And its fitted with launch control. Take a bite at it and you might get owned. A proper wolf in sheeps clothing.

Quick pic:

[​IMG]

Link: https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/114986

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2015
  18. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Some great cars posted above. I really like them all...

Especially the one Jolfa posted. That is outstanding... Ive never seen a Mk2 like that before, it just looks right!!!

[​IMG]

19. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Just read the whole thread, very interesting, Eddie does know his onions :thumbup:

20. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

gnutz2's S2 engined mk2

Why I chose it: An absoloutely epic build which is incredibly well finished. Some serious reworking of the chassis and loads of great fabrication, not to mention the fact its a 4WD, nitroused lunatic.

Quick pic:
    [​IMG]

Links:

CGTI thread
    S2 forum thread

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009