How to check gearbox oil? (mk2 golf)

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Driver1.6, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Driver1.6 Forum Member

How do you check the gearbox oil level on a mk2 golf? It's a 1991 1.6 driver. Just recently it has been making a sort of whiny, supercharged noise (i wish) when I accelerate and the clutch has slipped a couple of times so I think it might need filling. Thanks
    Edited by: Driver1.6

2. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

I would personally drain the existing oil and refill it with VW synth gear oil(2 litres required) all you have to do is remove the hex socket plug (17mm)at bottom of gearbox and then refill.
    I refilled my one through the speedo cable drive which is on top of box and if you want to check level then remove side plug but I would guess that it will be low anyway.
    I think your clutch slipping is a different thing altogether ie.worn or badly adjusted clutch.
    Edited by: DAVE 2227

3. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

as dave says, drain and refill. clutch won't slip due to low oil...

when you're re-filling it, don't make the classic amateur mistake of removing the greeny plastic bung on the top and filling it that way!! that'll certainly kill your clutch as that bung is for viewing the TDC mark on the flywheel- not for filling with oil.