MFA on mk2 not working!!!

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by stugod666, Jan 30, 2009.

1. stugod666 Forum Member

Hi, new to clubgti, hoping thatyou guys could shed some light on my mfa problems? Ie, it doesn't work at all!! Have trawled post for help but unable to find anything that helps!!! Bought an 8v shed and have bought her back to life with EVERYTHING being replaced, engine and all, determined that she will not go the same ad so many mk2 gti's (the scrappie!) the mfa doesn't function at all and after a bit of poking round and checking connections etc.....nothing!! Direction to wiring posts or problem solvers would be appreciated!!!

2. atlas2l8v Forum Member

is there an earth on your rocker cover, as there should be mate

small wire which goes to back bolt so you may not see it if its broken

3. neil kaye Forum Junkie

i think there is a fuse for it too

4. WillG

WillG Forum Member

does the rev counter work?

5. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

if the battery went flat or you have bad earth at battery to gearbox
    the mfa can go a bit weird
    just disconnect the battery for a minute or two
    then reconnect the battery

6. stugod666 Forum Member

Yep, the rev counter doesn't work either!! But I'm due to get it back today with a new engine in it after the last one breathed her last breath at 192463 miles!! Everyday drivers rule!!! So I will check earth connections etc when she returns home after her heart transplant!! Battery was replaced recently so will try disconnecting to reset it too, cheers for pointing me in the right directions guys!!!

7. stugod666 Forum Member

Tried all of the above checks and solutions, but to no avail!!! Gotta take the dash out at the weekend to replace a broken heater matrix so if there's anything I can check while it's apart, it would be much appreciated!!!

8. neil kaye Forum Junkie

check the plug is on correctly at the back of the clocks
    when you say the mfa doesnt work can you be more specific,i.e no readout at all,the switch not working,there are readings but there wrong etc etc

9. stugod666 Forum Member

The stalk doesn't seem to work, neither the button on the end or the selector...the time is displayed on the LCD screen and works, I just don't wanna buy a new stalk etc to find out I've missed a connection! Rev counter is not working either if that's related?

10. Doddsy Forum Member

You haven't rebuilt it with the wrong type of stalks in have you? There are later and earlier ones - can any one confirm if these are interchangable? Diff plugs on then in any case.

11. neil kaye Forum Junkie

i have 2 different types here so there must be,the two i have are not interchangable tho,you have pluged it in havnt you,there is a white plug with red,black and blue wires iirc

12. nealey Forum Junkie

Its possible the dash pod itself is faulty, my mfa didnt work and my rev counter was tempermental at the best of times, i replaced the dash pod and it was fine, another thing to check whilst you are there though is make sure the small vacuum pipe is attached to the back of the unit

13. stugod666 Forum Member

Right, that's my weekend sorted!! Let's see how the missis takes to me spending valentines day with my other love!!! Hahaha! Will keep you posted....

14. neil kaye Forum Junkie

what on?? the car or the marriage:lol: