Air conditioning delete

Discussion in '8-valve' started by rayray086, May 9, 2009.

1. rayray086 New Member

Hi all,

Car in question is a Mk3 2.0L 8V, engine code ADY. I want to delete the A/C and was wondering if there were kits available in the UK that cater to my engine? A search in US forums have shown that to delete the A/C on the ABA (US-release 2.0L 8V for the Mk3), they need a smaller water pump pulley as well as shorter accessory belts. Are the belt layouts exactly the same between our engines (ADY vs ABA)? Here's a link to a kit sample:

http://www.futrellautowerks.com/20L-Non-AC-Conversion-Kit-P62.aspx

Any help/insights will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Raymond.

2. nealey Forum Junkie

It should be fairly easy to get hold of a kit over here as we also got the 2.0 8v ADY engine, i will have a look on etka and see if i can work out what bits you will need to change

3. Supercharged Forum Member

Why'd you want to delete it??

That would be the one thing i'd want more than anything in a car if I lived in Oz!

4. rayray086 New Member

Thanks nealey! If you find part numbers for what I need, I can possibly grab them from the local VW parts shop.

Haha, Supercharged - I rarely use air-con, even in summer during Sydney. I think I use it more in the winter to get rid of fogging inside the car! Recently got into an accident which damaged the condenser so I just wanna get rid of the whole thing.

5. rayray086 New Member

Think I may have found the "answers" when consulting ETKA (thanks for the tip!).

[​IMG]
    ^
    Currently I have the #6 water-pump pulley in diagram which accepts the thinner V-belt. What I need to do is change to the #5 pulley (028 121 031 K - also an ABF and 2E part) which accepts the thicker V-belt.

[​IMG]
    ^
    The thicker V-belt (037 903 137 G) that I'll have to use will now turn the water-pump (labelled C) and alternator (labelled B). ETKA had a remark that said the alternator is rated at 120A? Does that mean I have to upgrade the alternator? Anyway, label E is the tensioner in the above diagram.

[​IMG]
    ^
    Next is the thinner V-belt (037 145 271 E) which only turns the power-steering pump now.

And that should be it!

This is the original belt setup that I was originally using:
    [​IMG]

A = crankshaft
    B = alternator
    C = water pump
    D = power steering pump
    E = tensioner
    F = air conditioning compressor

If anyone can confirm that they're what I need to make the non-A/C conversion, that'd be great, thanks.

BTW, do all posts on this forum have to be checked over by an admin before it gets displayed? I've made a post before this one but it doesn't display up straight away...

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep all you need is the ribbed waterpump pulley and shorter non-ac alt/v-belts, job done :)

edit: like this:
    [​IMG]

7. erantomer Forum Member

me too. in my 1.6 driver the a/c takes loads of power but i wouldn't dream of deleting it. do you know what it's like to come to a job interview with a wet shirt?:lol:
    in your 2.0 engine it must have only marginal effect.
    being the fastest on the road isn't everything in life.:)

8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Keeping mine on my 16vt project. Just got to figure out a way of moving the rad back to allow intercooler to fit.

9. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Not all posts, just your first few as a new user, to weed out any spammers. :thumbup:

10. rayray086 New Member

StuMc: Fair enough!

rubjonny: Thanks for the pic!