Steering Column Stub

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by mk1 driver, Mar 29, 2010.

1. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

[​IMG]
    (picture borrowed)

How on earth do you get the big collar/stub (the upper most part attached to the inner column in the picture) part back on after removal!?

I managed to get the stub off using a puller (modified!), yet now when fitting a new housing and ign switch, the spring is so strong and with the spacer on it's seems impossible to get back on!

Any tips/tricks?

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Get a suitable sized socket or piece of pipe over it and tw*t it!

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

get it on enough so the wheel & retaining nut can be threaded on, then tighten it down. trouble with tw*ting it is you may end up just collapsing the column down.

4. Admin Guest

I took the column out put it in a vice and a large socket on the outside and tap it home, doesn't take much force either.

5. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I cant compress it enough for that to happen! If fitting it all back on minus the small spacer ring, you can just about get a turn or two on the top nut. But with the spacer in place, it's a cm or two off for the splines to meet inside the stub.

What's is the deal with the two sheer bolts if removing the whole column? Or do you mean you disconnected the UJ at the end of the column to pull the shaft out?

6. rubjonny

ok then id disconnect the uj bolt like you say and pull the column out that way, then clamp it and tap on as smudge says :)

7. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I'm thinking that might be the only way, by the sounds of it... but then I thought isn't there still going to be a problem with then trying to get the UJ fitted back on? As the big spring at the top of the column will be stopped by the fitted stub and it'll be pushing the column out at the top, if you see what I mean?

8. rubjonny

it'll be fine, just a case of dont bolt the ign housing to the column tube untill you get the uj bolted back up. its fiddly but not a big deal :)

9. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

That's quite true, I forgot about the housing and how there is a bit of movement with it without it bolted up, not sure how much movement, or if there is a stop on the outer column(?) but hopefully enough to see the job through. Thanks John.

10. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

With the above issued cleared up... (at least I know how to approach it now)

Does anything fit inside the upper bearing?

[​IMG]

The inner column has a lot of room to move around inside this bearing as it is and I'm not sure if I'm missing anything. (The inner column did have some play, suspected warn upper bearing, I was surprised by the room the inner column had when I took the stub off)

All of the following obviously sit above this bearing:

[​IMG]

... if I'm not missing an insert anywhere, does the movement in the column, or hopefully the lack of it, come from that spring and the compression of it?

11. rubjonny

aha, looks like you have fitted something between the spring and the ign lock housing? think its a washer/spacer from a car without the adaptor fitted, this will be what the problem is if so!
    looks like the spacer has dug into the bearing and possibly damaged it, plus the spring has spread, which probably wont have done it much good either :(

also there should be a plastic spacer that sits behind the ign lock housing, this fits between the column and the ign lock bearing to take up the play.

12. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

This is how it all looked before I got the puller on there to get to the the old housing!

The spring has gone over itself a little (I tried the big hammer technique to try and get the stub off, then resorted to buying a puller) hence the spring digging into that metal cap/'spacer', which is quite thin and a bit of the bearing. The spring was untangled and with how strong it is, looks fine.

Stub > metal ring > spring > metal cap > bearing

The 'adapter' you mention, is this the metal ring under the stub? And the 'spacer' the metal cap? If so, are you saying that I should either have one or the other? Either the metal ring or metal cap at one end of the spring?

Do you have the part number for the plastic spacer? I think I came across one the other night, I'll see if it's the same as the one I have written down.

13. rubjonny

what i think has happened is a previous owner has decided to fit this collar, but didn't remove all the bits from the column 1st, thinking they were required.
    the correct order is:
    plastic spacer -> ign housing -> spring -> adaptor

by adaptor i mean the spline adaptor, the spacer is black plastic. the metal cap you have there is only fitted to models without the spacer, this is probably why you are struggling so much! You may need a new spring also, not sure if the non-adaptor one is the same, but regardless its probably a bit knackered now anyway :(

191 419 341 - spacer - 1.26+VAT
    1H0 419 667 - spring - 0.57+VAT

14. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Thanks John, you're a [:*:] :thumbup:.

Ordered those parts and hopefully I'll have it all back together at the weekend. :)

15. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I've got the new parts. I came across another possible spacer that could be used inside the bearing and here is a pic of them side by side:

[​IMG]

One on the left is 811 419 341D and on the right, 191 419 341.

The one on the left is also narrower internally, yet taller in height externally. Both appear to have a similar measurment externally on the spline section.

Which one to use and which side of the ignition housing should the lower collar section be on?

Also the new spring:

[​IMG]

1H0 419 667

... but it appears to be half the height of the previous, old one:

[​IMG]

I dont have the car to hand to see how it all fits just yet, might I need to use either the metal ring or metal cap as shown either side of the old spring in the above picture?

16. rubjonny

use the 191 part spacer, the other one is for cars without the adaptor. as for the spring it needs to be half the height of the old one otherwise you would never get the adaptor on properly ;)
    fit the spacer fat end 1st, the bearing in the ign housing fits over the narrower bit with the teeth on

17. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Does the spring sit on wide end of the spacer (steering wheel side)? Or does the teeth end need to come in from behind the housing and the spacer sit that way around?

18. rubjonny

spacer goes on before the ign lock housing, with the toothed bit facing towardfs you. then fit ign lock housing, then fit spring, then fit adaptor :)

19. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

20. erantomer Forum Member

i did it it only spring and adaptor, and the steering wheel kept touching the combination switch, resulting in constant horn.
    so i had to put the thick metal ring and the "thimble" bit between the ignition lock and the spring.

as for the plastic spacer inside the ignition housing- i had the taller part both in my car without adaptor and in the car from which i took the adaptor.[:s]