Ford Clutch Pedal Major Fault

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Brian.G, May 13, 2010.

1. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

So yesterday in Belfast when up with the bro in his wifes 05 Ford fiesta we encountered a major and dangerous fault with the clutch pedal. The slave cylinder push-rod came off clutch pedal pin when the clutch was held in causing the clutch to engage. Luckily we hit nothing and stopped the car in time.

The push rod is plastic and is located onto a pin the left-hand side of the clutch pedal. The pin is short and no push rod securing clip or existence of a clip was apparent.
    It seems as though the push-rod is just fitted to pin and stays there by nature. Well it doesn't, once the plastic eye in the push-rod wears a small bit the rod slips off pin causing clutch to engage.

A closer look at pin shows NO signs of any type of clip ever being there.

I later found out that the Ford connect van has the same set-up and there is also no securing clip present, therefore ruling out the Fiesta clip as being lost/mislaid. The Ford connect push-rod could be slipped off easily.

Ford have been contacted about this as and from 2hrs ago.

I dont know much about Ford models but if you have either of the above cars check the push rod to pedal pin now. If you find a securing clip let me know, if you dont see any signs of one Id say contact Ford immediately. It may also be the same set-up in the Focus also, I dont know.

Ill get a picture up later of said assembly so you'll know what your looking for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brian.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my gf has a 55 reg fester.

i recently had to buy a clip to "fix" the pedal mech

i was driving the car to work one day and started to hear a clicking when i pressed the clutch down.

the rod goes squiffy, one big issue is the rod in the master cyl is not being run straight so eventually kills the master

i got it sorted ASAP, got the car home and just left it be till it was done

new clip was 6p and 2mins to fit

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

allegedy a recall for this, that her car was not included in too

4. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Was there a recall? Mad how they dont contact everyone or make them aware! The connect is pretty new[:s]

Anyway, a general heads up on the problem:thumbup:

Brian.

5. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

They'd only recall them in the UK, Ford are joining the great alliance in ridding the world of you spud-chuckers, one by one...;)

6. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Well they'll never get me:lol:

7. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

It done it on my mums 53 reg fiesta and also on my 57 reg transit. Apart from that and an egr on the van they have both been faultless and have over 110,000 miles between them. Fix Or Repair Daily, not any more.