Mk2 Seat Base - to - Recaro Mounting

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Dave, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Passenger Seat Base from my Mk2 PB donar car.

[​IMG]

Removed most of the ancilliary bits. I will remove the rest later.

[​IMG]

Measure the height and angle of the seat in the EV.

[​IMG]

Put the base back in the PB to check the reference height to the slider lock pin.

[​IMG]

This is the mid 1980s Recaro LS I have used in my Audis. The pukka Recaro base is at the side.

[​IMG]

What will it look like when re-covered, a-la Gti? I prefer the original Recaro material. Wonder if it is still available, to re-cover the rear seats?

[​IMG]

Measure the height and angle of dangle!

[​IMG]

It has these fixed brackets on it.

[​IMG]

They fit to the frame. The total weight of the frame and brackets is 6kg. The modded Mk2 base is 3kg. Guess which wins?

[​IMG]

Remove the brackets, and you have 6 mounting holes.

[​IMG]

Try the seat, sans brackets, onto the base. It is spot on!

Now I need to finish the frame with brackets to bolt on the seat properly.

[​IMG]

This is a Recaro Designer Sport seat. I have two of them to go into the stripped out Audi 90.

[​IMG]

They have built-in front/back sliders. The passenger's seat will use these sliders, bolted to fixed lugs, welded to the floor. The driver's seat will be fixed, without the sliders.

[​IMG]

This is a 1973 Recaro Brochure and price list. Has anyone got a mid to late 1980s brochure? I need a drivers seat, similar to the top left picture, to go with the LS!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  2. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Make some brackets. I used 35 x 15 RHS. It was from an Hitachi TV stand.(I keep everything)

Cut the brackets using a 25.4mm hole saw. The tube is 26mm dia., but the cutters usually cut big, and you will need to open out the shape as the tube on the sub-frame is distorted due to Recaro's bending. Note that the drill bit has a double point. De Walt. These bits don't wander. But you can't re-grind them, only as a single point. Also, note how far out it is. This to go right through the RHS, for guidance, before the saw teeth hit.

[​IMG]

I located the new brackets using the seat brackets from the LS.

[​IMG]

I squared them up.

[​IMG]

And, tacked them in postion. I can't finish the welds yet.

Cos.: The wire is rusty, and, I can't see sod all these days, through the visor window. New wire required and a less dense glass!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010