Dishwasher+Gearbox casings

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Brian.G, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

:lol:
    Pictures to follow, that is if the dishwasher survives, Its something Ive always wanted to try with a big part.........so why not:thumbup::o

2. danster Forum Addict

Nice one. :lol:
    Save getting splash backs off the steam cleaner at 120deg with detergent.

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Let's get these in early :lol:

Kitchen parts depot

Cam cover washing - click

4. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Its happened you so as well:thumbup:

Dishwasher seems ok about it, I put in two tablets things(dont they look like you could eat them? I may try one yet) I put it on the super dooper insane wash(the one you never use)...Hopefully Ill still have casings AND a dishwasher left after this:lol:

I Hope it doesn't pong of gear oil when Its done actually.....this is the ''good ware'' dishwasher too(In the kitchen).....How much are dishwashers these days anyways[:$]

5. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

I have to add my own '' House dis-organised'' photos to the first link, Ill do it asap:lol:

Looking at your link Im sorry I didnt spill petrol on it first to loosen things up...hmmmm..

(Just heard the two tabs dropping out of drawer now, they were never designed for this:lol:)

6. danster Forum Addict

Regularly got the full on face splash back when making sure every last bit of a block was clean.
    V10 merc diesels were the worst.[8(]

I believe freebasing cocaine is marginally better than eating dishwasher tablets. Although I hear the kids chomp on plant food these days.[:s]

You would just make a dishwasher if you break this one. Do not try and palm us off that you are a consumer.

ps. Sanitation is overrated anyway.;)
    All the best from the mucky pup.:thumbup:

7. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Dishwashers, and alkaline, dishwasher tablets, luv aluminium.

Wish you luck there Brian.G.

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

:lol: :lol:

9. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Dont lecture me on aluminium 'boy':lol:, the aluminium saucepans seem to be holding up well:lol::thumbup:

Its just to clean it so I can leave it in the bed beside me and take measurements off it, dont want to dirty the duvet now do I?!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im no good at photoshop, be glad.:lol:

10. nealey Forum Junkie

i think option number 5 makes a man come into your house whilst you are on the bog, he offers you a towel and sprays you with some cheap knockoff aftershave then charges you a couple of quid for it!

I should imagine the dishwasher equivalent is something similar!

11. Dave

I has tried everything to clean aluminium Brian. Turns out that the black stuff on the alloy is called 'Smut'.

I have found a place that sells stuff to remove 'Smut'. Costs too much for me!

12. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

was it not powernut who used battery acid on his gearbox casing? apply for a very short while and rinse carefully.

13. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

14. neil kaye Forum Junkie

i did mine with a mix of washing up liquid,some washing powder and water (all equal parts) ,scrubbed the casing and steam cleaned it,came up well,then painted it and laqured it
    will put pics up soon

15. danster Forum Addict

How long does this dishwasher take? [:s]
    I stayed up specially to see the results and still nothing.[:^(]
    Sod it. I am off to me scratcher.[:x]

16. neil kaye Forum Junkie

guess which bit has been painted :lol:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

It takes wayyyyyyy longer on superwash....the dial must go around 6 times[:$]

As for cleaning alloy correctly if anyone wants to,
    Soak in caustic soda 1 pt soda, 4 water ,for 3min, or until crap is gone, then dip in nitric acid diluted say 4 water 1 acid to de-smut, that'll have it like new.

The final pics,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other casing,

before,

[​IMG]

After,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All oil and crap is gone, few parts remain, but its not oily dirt, more crusty, if you get me...hmmmmm...A dip in caustic soda next should de-crud them completely.
    (dangerous, gives off hydrogen).:thumbup:

18. Dave

That is good Brian!:clap:

I obviously didn't do it right?[:$]