My 2 Litre MK2 16V Toy + my other tasty Vee Dubs!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by ianb, Jul 15, 2010.

1. ianb Forum Member

Well after being away for some months after selling my beloved APR Stage Edition 30 documeted on here now thought I'd post my new toy.

It's a car I' owned 6 yrs ago and was featured in VW Driver.

It's a special MK2 16V with a huge spec.

Here's some more detail of my pride and joy!

Spec of CFJ is typical of the early 90's Tim Stiles Racing / BRM / GTI Engineering theme although each used different ways to capacity increases and cam specs but the 2 litre set up was essentially all fairly similar.

I managed to source the cams from Bill after 16 valve cam specs had been extensively tested by a well known/ respected engine builder in the US...Bill/Chris may remember his name.

Rather than choosing the normal straight 264/266/ 268 or 276 route tests showed using 268/276 produced a good spread of torque and power up top!

The set up was fined tuned by both TSR and Stealth using the warm up reg mod and vernier but essentially I had a brand new metering head which was fettled by TSR following their experience of setting up the Slick 50 and RainX cars.

The engine a 9a block was stripped and balanced and ARP fastners were used where possible and a thicker steel head gasket was used in conjunction with the polished head which had been on the car in it's early 1.8 days.

The airbox was given the usual treatment and an oil cooler was fitted in the build. The rest I have documented below with help from Andy. Originally the car sat on TA Koni's with Eibach springs and ARB's but is now on the Eibach coilovers.

The box was a Maurice Reeves item sporting a Quaiffe which survived for years at Combe the only issues being a couple of clutch issues and flywheel failure due to the high revs. The box has been rebuilt by Andy with a shorter final drive which I'm looking forward too.

The plan is to further beefen up the clutch flywheel area with a plate and sourcing some stronger bolts to ensure nothing goes amiss in the future.

The car has done little mileage since it's been away but I will need to treat some minor bodywork on the arches under the plastic trim and possibly a new drivers door unless it's repariable where the dreaded tin worm has got to it.

Here's the basic spec:

1990 16v 3 door shell
    TSR 9A engine stripped lightened and balanced in conjunction with split duration Schrick cams on KJet (ARP fastners used where possible)
    201bhp (flywheel) & 160lbft @ Stealth 2004 with warm up reg mod.
    Magnex 4 into 1 manifold - Full Remus system
    Ignition setting 12` BTDC
    Ignition leads - standard
    Plugs - Bosch Super 4
    Airbox has the lower section mostly removed .. JR (blue) panel filter
    020 16V box & shortened FD
    Quaife ATB (Previously standard ratios)
    Eibach Coilover suspension (Previously Koni TA's + Eibach Springs)
    Eibach front and rear antirollbars
    Front wishbones - rear bushes Powerflex, front inner bushes standard
    Recent new MK3 Top Mounts
    Front camber 1.5` / Toe @ 0`
    Rear axle bushes : Poweflex
    280mm Brembo discs / Lucas 54 calipers / Pagid FR pads / braided lines (Now with MintexPads)
    Rear brakes standard
    Road Wheels - BBS RJ 6.5 x 15 ET33
    Road Tyres - Toyo T1-S 195/50
    Track wheels - Rial 7 x 15 ET37
    Track tyres - Dunlop DO1J 205/50 + 195 x 55
    Recaro recliner driver`s seat
    Momo 3 spoke steering wheel

The car has had a full glass out repaint and new door and factory wings together with a full under body restoration .
    Thought abot a half cage but I like the original look of these.

Been back at Combe already.....RS day....!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Must get my pipes sorted!![:D]

Enjoy:)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  2. ianb Forum Member

My previous runabouts:

Firstly my APR Stage 3+ MKIV....big spec with right bits done ie Forge FMIC Tarox 2 Piece Big Brakes Quaiffe Diff and full engine strengthening rebuild to 600bhp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and my Edition 30 on APR Stage 2 + KW Clubsports:

[​IMG]

Had the APR RSC exhaust fitted later on....brilliant bit of kit....will be getting back into one soon.

3. chrismc Forum Junkie

CFJ looking lovely and fresh mate. Going well at Combe too:)

Nice to see one of the original and swiftest k-jet valvers still about. All the better that it retains the original drivetrain but refined and improved with lots of careful development.

Too many folk nowadays are seduced by 1.8t conversions or engine swaps when a well fettled 16v still delivers the goods (and sounds so distinctly vw)

Let me know as/when you book it in with Stealth for a check up. You will have to call in for a brew or maybe il tag along?

Chris

4. Newey Forum Member

Car looks stunning! Glad to see another highly fettled valver ;)

5. coullstar Forum Member

That looks amazing. Sleeper!!!

6. turnipmuncher Forum Member

Wish my white mk2 gti looked that tidy!

7. ianb Forum Member

Thanks for the comments....I will get a few better pics uploaded when this rain clears

I'll let you know about Stealth Chris....will speak to arrange suitable date.

Ian

8. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Mk2 is looking better than ever Ian. :thumbup:

9. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

And looks soooo stealthy in road trim. Perfect.

Lookin good as ever Ian.

Gurds

10. vwp6n Forum Member

looks brillaint Ian, was this the car that was featured in the golf manual tuning guide?

itl be good to see if car still produces the figures it done several years ago,

you say TSR supplied a new metering head, do you know what was done to it or is no info been realeased on it?

cheers Mark

11. chrismc Forum Junkie

Mark, Its the same car!

As for metering head tweaks, I think TSR fit new heads and then tweak them internally to ensure proper fuel delivery at high rpm. I'm guessing something over and above a normal wur mod.

Crucial for the strong running of a tweaked 16v

12. ianb Forum Member

Yes it's the one featured in Tim's book / Haynes Manual.

Metering head was supplied new from the old AmD when they were at Oddington Oxford some years ago.

TSR does the 'thing' treatment on the metering head as Chris points out!

Feels pretty strong though......190-200 and I'll be a happy chappy.

13. Mark_B Forum Member

looking good mate, better than its former glory - Full respray! Posh.......

Get it on the rollers for that final bit, and all sorted.
    I will let you know how I get on Thursday at TSR, fingers crossed power is as before.

14. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

:thumbup: nice to see this back in circulation :clap:

15. vwp6n Forum Member

ok no probs, good to see the car is still going strong,

i wonder if the company i know that supply race spec metering heads are the same people that does them for TSR?
    they also supply brand new metering heads so could be on the same link,

16. azur Forum Member

i love CFJ... that and the tim stiles book were one of the main reasons i got into VW gti's!

remember seeing that MKIV for sale too..was around for a while!

17. ianb Forum Member

Thanks for the appreciation.:thumbup:

Will try and pop up to Autometrix day.

My MKIV with the APR kit was great but a bit too fragile for track with the usual heatr associated issues. In the end a good 2 litre valver does the biz on track on a budget.

For example the Tarox 2 piece discs and bells on the MKIV were 1000 plus vat and pads 200...v the MK2 280mm discs from Brembo @ 60 for the pair and under 100 for pads.

All that cost and still was slower than CFJ.

The Edition 30 was superb for both but ulimately I felt it was too cruel to rag such a nice new car on track....the MK5's do have alot a nice qualities. Again modding them for track is extremely expensive because of what you need to do once you're at stage 2 power.

We now run a nice comfy cheap A4 1.9TDI 130 Avant for everyday family duties and CFJ is my weekend toy.

18. ianb Forum Member

Which company is this?

19. vwp6n Forum Member

KMI, sure its Ken Mills injection, i got them to go over my metering head and check for fault, they found 2 faults with it and set the fuel supply to each injector spot on,

they also said at the time that they can modify it for more fuel if i was running cams different bottom end etc,

i spoke to the guys from TSR last year at edition and had mentioned the upgraded metering head they done and i had mentioned KMI, then they didnt say anything and spoke about other stuff, made me think..............

20. jamesa Forum Junkie