Polo GTi Gearbox Whine

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by klmillard, Sep 15, 2010.

1. klmillard New Member

Hi guys and girls,

This is my first post on here and unfortunatly it is due to a problem with the gearbox on my 2000reg Polo GTi. So I come to you for advice.

I have had my polo for a little over a yr now, 12months ago I noticed that a slight whine had started in 5th gear. I believe this is common. Well the whine has got very slowly but surely worse and I think it is now time to get this sorted, hopefully before a full gearbox failure!

I remember researching this last yr and found a company who will supply and fit a recon box for 495. This company was found on Ebay and think they called themselfs Goldings Gearboxes. They are still advertising on ebay (see link below). Can anyone advise on weather these are very good? Anything I should be aware of?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vw-polo-1-6-gti-RECO...h=item2a0a2f380

Or does anyone have anywhere else they can recommend to do the work in the East of England ish area?

Thanks in advance.

PS the car is on its original box and has just shy of 117k....not bad going, or so I am led to believe.

2. daljsd Forum Member

I used 1st gear transmissions from ebay for the same price.

Is your car modified in anyway? Wheels or lowering?

If it is and you decide to take the car to them set the car back to standard for the new gearbox as they will not warranty their gearbox if the car has been modified. Then do whatever you want to the car lol

ALSO, BIG ALSO! They will probably NOT fit another GTI gearbox unless they have one in stock. The gearbox place will most probably fit a 1.4 box with slightly longer ratios.

3. klmillard New Member

Thanks daljsd,

The car is standard so will not be a problem. You mention the ratio issues. With me not being machanical minded, is the ratios being different an issue? What would I notice in day to day driving?

4. daljsd Forum Member

well I found the ratios are longer so general driving around town doesn't seem that different. Acceleration in 1st, 2nd and 3rd feel good also but I can feel the difference on low RPM driving especially on the motorway.

usually in 5th around 70mph I still had a bit of poke and could accelerate nicely but now with the new gearbox you have to drop a gear to get good acceleration. Good fof MPG but not acceleration.

its not that bad but If I were paying 500 for a refurbed box then I would want it a GTI unit (the AA payed for my box so I'm not that bothered)

if you can afford to take the car off the road then I recomend getting your box refurbed. Speak to the gearbox place and see if they actually have GTI or 1.4 gearboxes in stock.

You have done well with your box so far. I changed mine at 60K with a used box that also failed after 10K miles. God fed up and called the AA who payed for a refurbed box :o)

5. Eddie1984 Forum Member

I had no end of problems with my gearbox, similar to you.

As the whining got worse i decided to get a rebuilt box from these guys www.volkswagenspares.com which lasted about 2 months and sounded worse than the one I had taken out, they did replace it but still had the same problem. I would not recomend these people just to warn you! if i could go back and got mine rebuilt or got a good second hand box. I have since given up and broken the car.

6. James W

James W Motorsport Moderator

Would a 6 speed box out a Lupo GTI fit a Polo GTI without any modding? Or is there any other stronger boxes?

7. majic79 Forum Member

Not fixed a fifth gear whine yet, but the cost of parts to change the output pinion bearing is around 35 and is a bit of a pain, but if you've got the patience and the tools, will save you a lot of hassle. Mine lasted a year (just shy of 10K miles) but those were very heavy miles, including 4 full on road rallies, several clubman events, two track days and some general driving.

I've got 2 16V gearboxes to refurb sat in my garage, the 1.6GTi has a different set of ratios. The six speed has the starter at the front iirc so the block castings will get in the way (it won't fit!). You could take the engine and gearbox as a complete lump from the lupo and drop it in though?

8. James W

James W Motorsport Moderator

Is there any other options on gearboxes or do you just have to refurb the STD box?

9. majic79 Forum Member

pretty much restricted to the standard box, I want to swap mine out for something more robust for my rallying, but struggling as well (considering dropping a 1.6 lump out of a golf Gl and getting an 02 gearbox to go with it, but it's a bit much and will prevent me doing endurance events)