Parts list for Eaton Supercharging an ABF.

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by PAB, Sep 28, 2010.

1. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Not sure if this ground has been covered already so re-direct me if it has.

Been running round in my head that my next project needs an Eaton Supercharger fitted to it, so I'm trying to put a list of bits together for it.

2,0ltr ABF
    Eaton Blower (Mini etc) Merc C220 Blower?
    4 Branch exhaust header
    ABF lower inlet manifold
    ABF fuel rail
    18t type plenum
    18t Cable TB
    18t injectors??BAM or bigger 440 injectors
    Intercooler/Charge cooler
    oil cooler
    Aftermarket ECU & Loom
    Boost pipe work
    16v G60 Alternator bracket
    2no head gaskets? Low comp pistons
    Belts etc
    OE g60 air box

Come on boys what am I missing.... I thinkin Toyotec with have all the answers :lol:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I think you will need a bigger charger than the one from a Mini. I am thinking Merc.
    Low comp? On 10psi? Nah :lol:

3. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Cheers Gurds, gonna keep modding the list... Merc C220 Blower??

4. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Here is some info on Eaton Chargers.

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Superchargers/M62/index.htm

The M45 is what you will find on Mini's. The M62 is more like what you will find on a Merc. Not sure on what model...

You will need to spec your pulley ratio in order to keep the charger spinning within its usable rpm and efficiency range.

I don't think ABF injectors are going to have enough fuel flow so at least BAM injectors or something near the 400cc level.

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Having delivered most of the controls, calibration and recomendations to drivefeel on these things, your list can be edited to;

Not all the answers though [:D]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  6. danster Forum Addict

KR or other k jet 16v lower inlet manifold may be a better choice, as they can fit more common and conventional injectors in 1.8T fuel rail.
    Mate that too a cut down ABF upper inlet manifold with it's tps TB.

7. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

WOW, lovin the big brains on this forum. :thumbup:

8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I'd like to see a pre charger TB setup. Can't stand that dodgy power steering pump noise. :lol:

9. AjVR Forum Member

Id get a copy of supercharged by corky bell , lots of useful information on calculating the flow you need ect and always good to read around the subject.

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I have that too [:D].

11. bigbeat

bigbeat Forum Member

I'm in the process of finishing mine off. I've made a mount myself using the abf alternator bracket with an extra bit on top for the charger to mount to. I'll have some pics up by the end of the week if interested?

12. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Sounds good, more info the better.

13. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

my mk1 had a 9a that was charged with a eaton m62 charger. the mini one is too small!

the M62 also has its own interanl oil supply thats filled for life.. the mini one needs to use the engine for its lube.

the fun is making the bracket to mount the charger and then working out a belt run with tensioners and making sure the water pump and power steering etc are running the right way.

if its done right I have been told its a nice engine, but personally I wansnt happy with mine and I much prefer turbo power... but if any one can help Eddie can! top bloke!

14. bigbeat

bigbeat Forum Member

Bit of an update. My mount is finished, and some pics of it assembled. This is made from aluminium as I originally made it from steel and it was a VERY weighty item.
    There are threads in the actual mount so the supercharger cannot move. The original holes on the left were supposed to be M8 but I drilled them out for M10 to make it abit more stronger.
    Obviously this is my design and I can get more made but the cost was rather high due to aluminium prices. Mine worked out at 180 for this. Due to getting one measurement wrong a post had to be redone.

The mount itself

[​IMG]

With the charger on.

[​IMG]

From the left side

[​IMG]

From the right. Slight clearance issue possibly with my water pipe

[​IMG]

Due to the interference fro the top water hose I've had the flange modified to face the other way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fully assembled

[​IMG]

I'm just a little concerned with the idle pulley. As whilst turning it a few times the belt was coming off. So I'm thinking of having a pulley with some sides to keep it inline. Also you can see from the water pump its a little disconcerning.
    I'm thinking of another pulley where maybe the PAS would go and use a v belt to keep it taught.

Any ideas or input helpful

15. danster Forum Addict

The ABF water outlet off the head aims towards the nearside. :thumbup:

I am sure it will be possible to mount another idler pulley so that the belt once it comes past the alternator then rises up and around a pulley then back down and round the water pump. Need to play around with belt lengths but there are plenty of idlers out there to consider.

16. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

you need at least a 90deg wrap round the water pump, pref more, so an extra excentric cam idler mounted as in the pic would work, then its checking belt length, as the idleer may need to be moved depending on the avaibale lengths

I would also be considering an extra idler on the longer run at the front too, see how it goes as the runs not as long as mine was.. mine flapped alot... but I would keep an eye on it

[​IMG]

17. bigbeat

bigbeat Forum Member

Due to the car not having PAS I was considering running a v belt setup for the water pump and locate it just under the crank pulley and water pump. but have it adjustable of course

18. bigbeat

bigbeat Forum Member

I couldn't use an ABF one due to the fact that it would have hit the charger. So I modified a mk2 one.

19. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

A Mini charger is a E45 think, this is something I had my hands on during the summer;)

E92 charger, on a G60 Engine. Just a tad bigger comparing with bigbeats

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've a couple more pics and info on this - at the moment it's back with it's owner and heading for tuning after a decision has been made to the type of system to use. Currently on OEM G60 ECU
    surprisingly it's coping with the turbo ..........

20. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

E45 is good for up to 1.6 or so capacity if you read the eaton site.(its been a while since I was looking)

like I said only down side is they need an oil feed from the engine.. on the old minis they have their own little oil system thats seperate of the engine oil as its too think in a classic mini. (a vag engine would be ok running 5-40 fully synth iirc)