Checking the waxstat

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by coolerguy, Dec 17, 2010.

1. coolerguy New Member

So... What are the symptoms of a perfectly working waxstat for a 2e2?

What i've gathered from other posts, is that the pin should extend when the stat is heated, but should it also retract when it cools back down? Should it be difficult to push it back in when it has extended?

I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow to try and pick up some stats from the different cars there, and it would be nice to be able to check them for proper operation... Gonna get a brand new one after new years, but now i just need one that works until then... These things are expensive over here! Ranging from 61 (takes ages to ship) to 140(next-day delivery)!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  2. coolerguy New Member

I'm wondering what happened to the content of this post?

I was just asking how to check some of the characteristics of a fully functional waxstat. Should I be able to push the pin back inside, or should it retract by itself when the stat gets cold?

3. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

The waxstat has a central pin that should extend against a sprung lever as it heats up, then as the engine cools again after use, the return spring will push it back into the housing.

The test is basically to take the thing off the carb when the engine is cold, and measure how far the pin sticks out from the flange mounting face. 20C is the suggested test temperature, with a load pushing on the pin of 30-40 Newtons. There are two versions of the test info that I've seen, the first one just said 30N load on the pin at 20C. The second one suggest cooling the waxstat below 5C with moderate pressure on the pin, then warming it back up to 20 for the test, this time 40N is suggested. Not really sure why the change.

Here's a pic from www.ruddies-berlin.de which shows/describes the second version of the test (Section 2.8):

sen2e22.gif

Hope this helps. :)

4. coolerguy New Member

Thanks a lot!

That will definitely be useful to someone, i ended up just taking the one i found which extended the furthest :p Happy to say that it has performed flawlessly, even given the insane cold temperatures i've been subjecting the car to [:D] Even in negative 30, the car starts on the fourth crank attempt, and the waxstat regulates to around 900 rpm after a little while [:D]