ABF turbo inlet manifold

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by grry, May 11, 2011.

1. grry Forum Member

Started to collect parts for my turbo conversion and have been reading loads of threads there and on vortex about peopls builds and how they have built there cars

At first I was going to get a one off inlet made up and have an tube type shape intake but am now wanting to keep the bay factory looking so I'm gona go for the 1.8t manifold cut down and use the ABF lower part flange

So my question is this..... do I jusy get any 1.8t inlet or are the passat, golf and audi ones diffrent or are they the same in size??? Also what about throttle body's what would be the better one out of these to go for ???

Any help would be great. :)

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Click on my sig and read what is involved.

3. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Or mine. :lol:

4. grry Forum Member

Come on lads I've been around on forums for years now and know how it works an do read a lot befor I post

Like I've all ready posted I have read a lot of threads and the two of your build threads but was wondering if they are diffirent in size as they are a few 18.t enines to chose from

Depending on what I would like from the engines preformance would they all do the same job or would one be better then the others

I'm looking to get around 300bhp with running MS

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

It just depends on how you want your boost run. They will all support you target output. TT/s3 mated to kr 42mm is tried and tested. Obviously the later engines are small port. Where as left side entry agu are large port. Unsure of dimensions but we know that the above mates right.

You may have to do some measuring for others. Passat/ a4 are different as the throttle body is in the wrong place for a transverse engine.

6. Toyotec

You can use either manifold from the 1.8T and have no issue to achieve 300PS+ all thuings being equal.

I have been assisting and advocating the use of the 06A S3/TT/Cupra 225PS intake manifold when older S2 or AUDI I5 intake system where not available for 16v forced induced applications.

[​IMG]

The S3/TT 16v hybrid manifold for my turbocharged 315PS 16vT was the solution for an inlet system after much thought. This thought was shared with many other enthusiasts of 16vT and 16vK applications and it became quite popular as a budget solution.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can also used the manifold from a Golf 4, seen on steve r's NASP Golf 2, which was originally intended to have a turbo. This is an alternative solution depending on boost run but can result in longer charge piping , delaying engine response.

[​IMG]

Some facts about the manifold.

A. The manifold runners are 88mm spaced.
    B. Blends and integrates very well with 50mm or 42mm, KR/9A lower inlets.
    C. The BAM/APY/APX manifold exits on the left side, reducing charge pressure piping if the compressor exit is on the driver side of the vehicle (RHD).
    D. Many components come with the manifold, i.e. injector rail and FPR, MAT, Throttle unit.
    F. Provision for dipstick tube.
    G. Good plenum volume to support >350bhp of airflow.

Can be used with a larger throttle as in my case the ABF throttle body with some slotting and port matching.

My car has been able to achieve 330bhp@6400rpm so far with this set up and just short of 305lbft of torque on the Garage Streamline dyno when higher boost than its 1.2bar (315PS spec) is used.

KristianBG likes this.
  7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

How it goes together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. grry Forum Member

Now that be the kind of info I was looking for, thanks very much lads :)

I'm always dipping in and out of your two threads to see if I'm on the right tracks but some time I just need a little bit more info befor I go buying parts

Thanks again

9. mk216vrick Forum Member

i have been reading and gathering the information for years for this conversion, i have both the inlet and lower manifold, but is there a specific place to cut each, or is just a case of chop it up and weld back together, i only want to cut once and not buy twice!!

cheers

Rick

10. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

If you look at the pics I posted you can roughly see where to cut. But I've recently seen one where it was welded to high and throttle body caught the bonnet. So needs aligning with car in mind.
    A good guide is to have top (flat) section of plenum (almost) parallel with rocker cover but slight higher. As on original 20v . Toyotecs pictures show this. Also the cut out for dipstick should be fairly close to the dipstick.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  11. mk216vrick Forum Member

awesome cheers.

suppose i should grow some and get cutting!

12. KristianBG New Member

Hello guys, reviving old thread, but what is the difference between 1.8T 180 hp intake manifold and 225hp manifold.
    Because I am following the Golf R build but found 180hp manifold or dirt cheap from Seat Leon 1.8t 180hp

13. Skool New Member

Throttle body is on different sides.

Most K03/K03S 150/180bhp transverse on cambelt side.

All K04 210/225bhp on gearbox side.

14. Toyotec

WOLF R build?

AMK, APY, APX, AYP, BAM, BFV, AUL, AMU and BEA engines, have the manifold entry facing the left side of the car.
    The EU AUM/AUQ, ARY and so on, have the entry on the opposite side.

I used the left side manifold for a packaging reason. I had predetermined my charge piping and that was the component I chose.

15. KristianBG New Member

upload_2023-11-24_13-10-34.jpeg
    Yes I understand, got this one for like 6 pounds because I couldnt find with left side exit in my country. Are they any drawbacks expect the piping or its good enough for the job, the cable bracket seems a little bit awkward.