mk2 handbrake cable - fitting

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by dragonfly, Jul 13, 2011.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

On the driver's side of my mk2 GTi the handbrake is not releasing properly. I'm replacing the cables on both sides. So I loosen the nut under the handbrake cover and both the lock nuts. Unhook the cable from the rear caliper and from the clips/holders. After refitting am I best to set the handbrake at 3 clips and tighten the lock nuts and then the other nut?
    Any pointers/tips?

Ta

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

when i do it i just set it so there is just a little slack in both cables when the handbrake is off, works a treat for me

3. somafunk Forum Member

Check your calipers to ensure the handbrake actuator moves freely (lever thingy) and when at rest is sitting against the stops, if it is, fit the cables try and adjust for the following feel, you have to wind the pistons back slightly if you moved the actuator :

Tighten the adjuster nuts till the actuator lever barely lifts of the stops at the caliper
    On the first click of the handbrake lever the wheel should turn by hand with a slight resistance
    On the second click of the handbrake lever the wheel should turn with effort
    On the third click of the handbrake lever it should not be possible to turn the wheel
    When the handbrake is released the wheels should spin freely.

Job done.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

A quick update - managed to remove the cables no problem. But the actuator lever is not moving freely so I reckon either a new calliper or some time with it off to free it. Now the passenger side is sticking but I think this due to the fact the cable is a little too short. More fun and games as I try and sort all this out!