Fire Extinguishers-types and recommendations

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by beaniegti, Jul 23, 2011.

1. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

I've done a little digging on this and from what i can see a handheld all purpose dry powder extinguisher would be a good bet as one to take around in the car. I've seen the FE-36 types (halon replacement) but i'm damned if i can find a small handheld one. They're quite pricey too. Anyone know where to find a small portable one?

I know some think they're a bit of a waste of time but as i may be taking the car to europe for a while i'd like one if only for peace of mind.

Anyway...

Are all extinguishers created equal or is it really worth spending twice the halfords price for a lifeline or SPA branded version?

When it comes to mounting them i've seen the pics of those that have had the VW mounting brackets but i'd imagine the chances of finding one are slim to none (unless someone wants to sell me one ;) )-has anyone found something quick and easy that doesn't involve drilling the body. Sadly metal work isn't somethiing i can do so a shoddy bit of bent metal and a few holes would be the limit of my bracket making skills.

Also, sizes. Are the small 1-1.5lt ones really adequate?

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. mark25 Forum Junkie

Check the best before date and get the one with the date the furthest in the future.

3. Sam.

Sam. Forum Member

I have a small fire extinguisher mounted on the holes for the split rear seat in my mk2 (mine isn't split). I'll get a picture tomorrow if you want?

4. TJ2727 Forum Member

The powder ones are all ok for use in and about a car but the small ones are not much use, as in they empty quickly and IF you are fighting a fire you don't want to almost put a fire out.

5. seanr68 Forum Member

Powder is good however, they are pretty bloody messy things.
    AFFF(aqueous film forming foam) is great for engine bay fires and volatile fuels.
    Carbon Dioxide is good for cabin fires and the like but it doesn't disipate heat adequately a lot of the time and, as a result, the flames can reignite, especially around a hot engine.
    I'd get at least a 2litre one, then at least you have a fighting chance.
    As for mounting, well just chuck it in the glovebox...

6. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

Thanks all.

Will be sure to get a decent sized one with a long time left on it.

Sean-my only reservation with AFFF is although its supposedly very good with fuels it doesn't seem quite as well suited to electrical fires which considering how old the mk2 is perhaps its worth taking into account. I guess it depends on what the most common cause of fires is in cars?

Sam-That was one of the places i was considering so any pics you have would be great. I was also thinking of doing the typical in front of the passenger seat mounting but that will be dependant on what sort of fixings i can work out.

7. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

Just found a bit of info from Hampshires fire dept website.

5. Extinguishers for car fires

Both AFFF and dry powder extinguishers can be used to extinguish small car fires. Tests have proved that dry powder can be effectively applied through the front of the vehicle without opening the bonnet. Each request for advice will need to be considered separately depending on the area to be protected (engine, cab or both).

5.1 Dry Powder
    More effective on engine fires in inexperienced hands.
    No cooling effect, greater possibility of re-ignition especially with pool fires.
    Can be discharged through the front of the vehicle.
    Stored pressure extinguishers should not suffer from settling and caking problems.

5.2 AFFF
    Has a cooling effect, less likely to re-ignite.
    More effective on pool fires, especially in inexperienced hands.
    Must be aimed directly at fire to be effective.

Also seems the MSA require AFFF extinguishers but with electric cutoffs and marshalls to hand perhaps it is preferable in those circumstances. Still, there seem to be quite a few stories on the net of people less than impressed by AFFF in motorsport.

Gotta say, from what research i've done so far it seems dry powder is a better bet for most if you want to try and save the car-shame it corrodes the then saved car so badly! :lol:

Anyone heard anything about these?

http://www.mangiafuoco.it/en/home.asp

I think sparco did/do a similar thing but i'm still looking for more info on them.

8. Sam.

Sam. Forum Member

I'm a bit late with the pictures, but heres mine (The bracket is mounted on a piece of rubber): [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

That looks ideal sam, thanks for that.

Does it feel securely fixed with that bracket? I've always thought they look a little flimsy but seeing as how many are sold with a similar setup i assume they are fine in the event of a big shunt.

10. Sam.

Sam. Forum Member

Yeah, there are no problems with the bracket. I did bend it a bit to make it tighter though.

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

If you're worried about electrical fires, and in any non-standard car, it's well worth fitting a cut out switch. I've got an AFFF handheld in the track car (mental note: must put it back in) that was a rally design special. I've also got a 1kg powder one that sits in the workshop, in case I set something on fire welding it, and trying to smother it with the welding gauntlets doesn't work!

12. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

Thanks for all the input chaps.

In the end i went for a disposable 2kg powder extingiusher from a local supplier.

Initially i had thought of getting a refillable unit but due to the fact i will most likely be ferrying clumsy, 'non-car' friends around i wanted something that wasn't likely to be accidentally snagged or set off in the car. I also felt a slightly larger one would be better seeing as i'm hoping to be doing a fair bit of driving in remote locations where response times will be slow at best.

Fingers crossed i never need the thing!

For anyone close to bournemouth/christchurch i can't recommend these people enough. They were very welcoming and took time out to talk me through the products.

http://www.fireguardservices.co.uk/

I'd give them a call first though as their location isn't a shop.