My Second Home........

Discussion in 'Garages, workshops & DIY' started by SimonG, Jul 29, 2011.

1. SimonG Forum Member

............. for when i'm banned from the house.

Just recently moved house and now have a man zone to play in at last. The objectives:

Able to place a car inside and carryout work on it
    Must have a work bench that can store my tools underneath and room for a vice on top
    Plenty of storage amongst the roof trusses
    Reasonable lighting
    Painted walls and floor
    Room to store a fridge/freezer
    Extra storage on the walls

And all this is in a single garage. It was good to have a blank canvas to work off, so far the fridge/freezer is in and in the way. Sockets been moved to a suitable place and fluorescent lighting installed replacing the crappy bayonet fitted. The walls have been painted in white silk emulsion including the eaves and roof storage sorted, now holding a lot of junk and crap :lol:

Started painting the floor this evening and is really starting to take shape. Hopefully this will inspire others to make their garage another room in the house or part of the home etc.

2. danster Forum Addict

Need pics. As the way you describe it makes it sound like a s**t tip! ;):lol:

It there a cat litter tray present? [:s]

3. SimonG Forum Member

Controlled storing of crap in boxes but there's no logic to what's in each box. It's off the floor at least :lol: Some stuff will be stored in the bespoke shed build........ coming soon........

I'll post up some pics soon. I was hoping the cat would walk into the garage while the paint is wet and stick to the floor. Gives me a chance to finger its bum hole and roller it with paint. It showed itself by climbing on the fence this morning, thought twice and jumped back in next doors garden. Second coat of floor paint is on, let this cure and go for a third coat this evening.

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Fridge Freezer?? Have you bought a house with no kitchen?

5. danster Forum Addict

[​IMG]

C'mon Simon, how long does it take to paint the floor? [:s]

Or maybe the neighbour's cat has pooped a big one and jammed the door shut trapping him inside the new garage. :o

6. SimonG Forum Member

Essential alcoholic beverage supplies, no need to walk back into the house from man zone.

Got some images now; before, dark and not overly appealing to some:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Walls painted in white silk with up to three coats and floor cleaned using patio cleaner and wooden boarding in the rafters for extra storage:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then suitably sealed using a transparent floor sealer:

[​IMG]

Paint brushed on around the edges and rollered on, three coats for a good even finish using free good quality paint:

[​IMG]
    Possibly not to everyones taste, it was free and is nice and light in the garage now.

Started on the workbench today with assistance from Mr G; frame assembled:

[​IMG]

Then fixed to the wall:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The work surface fixed to the frame using an old worktop rescued from the old house and stored (knew it would come in handy one day):

[​IMG]

Then a couple of cupboard units and shelves also in storage/removed from old house:

[​IMG]

Still some more work to do and add some additional legs to the frame as i'm not quite happy using just the current fixings on the right hand side.

7. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Wow, That floor will hurt your eyes on a hungover Sunday in the garage:lol:

Must say, Poor effort on the walls. You have to slap that paint on thick to get into the block and it will look loads better:thumbup: I ended up using a brush to do a 5000 sq ft warehouse[:^(]

8. danster Forum Addict

You have been busy. :thumbup:

Bright colours do help light the place up. I dig yellow anyway so that is cool, plus the added bonus is that if you ever spill custard it will not need cleaned up. :lol:

9. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

It is very custard looking:lol:

10. SimonG Forum Member

I could've had a good go at that but decided to not bother; one, it breaks up the white and two, it was easier.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  11. SimonG Forum Member

Danster approves :) GF reckons I should paint a smiley face on the floor. Might also see about making some drawer units to go underneath the workbench when I get time, plus add a shelf or two. On the other side, will be kept clear for a tool cabinet that can be wheeled in and out, that's why the workbench might look a little high.

One important point, garages vary in size as well as cars; if you do decide to put a workbench in or fit out the garage, make sure the car will fit inside still. Mine does ok and I still have room to use the workbench, don't get caught out, do your measuring first.