280mm G60 Brake Confusion

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by GTi-SA, Sep 14, 2011.

1. GTi-SA New Member

I am in the process of building a G60 brake setup for my 92 Mk2 with the 239mm discs, a bit difficult finding the parts here in South Africa but I have managed to get hold of the following:

Wheel bearing housing - 92 Passat
    Caliper - 92 Passat, originally used with 256mm discs - Girling
    Caliper carriers - 1995 Audi cabriolet - Lucas, originally used with 280mm discs

Doing research I have found conflicting info regarding pad thickness and master cylinder sizes. ETKA shows that the 22mm Master cylinder was only used on left hand drives, KR, PL,9A & PG vehicles ( PN 357 611 019 B). Elsawin however shows that the G60 & Rallye were equipped with 20mm master cylinders.

Elsawin shows that the 256mm & 280mm both used a 11mm pad thicknes, which conflicts with my research.

Am I correct in assuming that Elsawin & Etka info is correct?

2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

You will get pad clearance issues. I physically tried the same test and found the 256mm caliper will not clear the pads with a 280mm carrier as it's the way the carrier is designed that causes the problem. You will need the 280mm caliper which can also be found on early Mk3 Gti's too (Not sure if it is only the 16v model).

Regarding the 20mm Master cylinder, this would give a harder pedal than a 22mm one. However, most people don't seem to swap it and leave it at 22mm without issue.

Gurds

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The Discs for "280 brake converstions" are 280mm x 22mm vs 256mm x 20mm thick.
    This is one reason why a new caliper carrier is required, along with pushing the caliper further out.
    Pads to suit thicker 22mm discs are listed as 357698151B but for 256mm x 20mm discs etka lists the pads as 357698151A.

4. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Or you can sand down 16v pads by a mm or two and fit them, many falks on here have done that

5. GTi-SA New Member

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the Mk3's here only got the 256mm , vr6 went straight to 288mm ( no 16v ABF sold here). There were a few complete G60 brake sets imported for the Spitze project, but they are extremely scarce.

I can still get hold of the Lucas 54 calipers from the audi cabriolet, that I got the the caliper carriers from. Seems like a simpler option than sanding the pads down.

6. danster Forum Addict

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

and the rhd 16v/g60 with 256/280 brakes definitely got a 22mm master cylinder, etka is a bit messed up here. i suspect part supercession and bad data input over the years have confused things

another way to increase clearance is to grind down the bolt heads on the slider pins a bit. this means you may need to also grind down your spanner to fit though :lol:

8. danster Forum Addict

Now here is something when Passats are being mentioned. When I broke a Passat TDI it had vented 256mm discs, and it had the wider pads. Effectively the wider calipers like the mk3 Golf 280mm type. Could this be the case because the heavier car would need more pad to get it through service intervals safely?

9. GTi-SA New Member

:thumbup:The calipers are from a passat tdi, which had 256mm discs and surprise, surprise, I measure 61mm clearance.

Seems the passat tdi 256's definitely had the G60 girling 54 caliper, another combo to add to the 280mm Brake Upgrade list.

10. Toyotec

I suppose it is easy to order the wrong/thicker brake pads - 357698151B and fit to a vehicle with 256x20mm front brake setup. The pads for the Passat with the oil burner should be the same as 1990 Golf 2 16v - 357698151A. It is unlikely what your saw were OEM components or fitment.

11. danster Forum Addict

Dimensionally that is not the case.

Two caliper widths 53 and 61mm

Two pad widths 16.25 and 19.5mm

Two vented disc widths 20 and 22mm

Do some sums and it is not possible to fit the wider pads and the 20mm disc inside a 53mm caliper.

Still need to source the correct carrier for 280 discs though.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  12. rubjonny

what year was this? i cant see any references to this in etka. unless, all 256 calipers were replaced with larger ones after a certain date? be interesting to know as my calipers are passat 256 so it would be nice to know i can go 280 just by switching carriers...

I did find a difference in pads listed for pre/post 90 passat, but after some digging that is down to the pads being ever so slightly different shape due to a difference in the carrier

13. danster Forum Addict

Think it was around M or N reg RJ. It was a TDI Pretty original car with 120K on it when it got broke.
    A quick check of a Brake Pad and Discs application book from Delphi should list differences in pads.

14. rubjonny

reet i shall go to my car and check soon, see wat i have

15. Toyotec

That would be a "3A" Passat and was one of the models I looked at in ekta inorder to make the statement.

Would be interesting to get the part number off the caliper carrier to understand any changes for this specific application, if it is OE and aslo related to what the OP was suggesting in the first place.

16. GTi-SA New Member

The calipers are of a 92 or 93 Passat TDi stationwagon, I unfortunately never got to see the car. I got them from a friend whose father used to be a co-driver in a MK2 works rally car over here, which ran the G60 setup.

I will get the caliper part number tonight, at first I was quite surprised that a girling caliper fits a Lucas carrier. Some research shows that Lucas acquired Girling indicating that they just re-badged the products.

Another oddity, locally the only discs available are called "Polo Cup" discs, due to their use in the local one make specific racing series. The vehicles used were pre-9n polo's which were identical to the Seat worldwide. Their specs are 279mm x 22mm.

17. GTi-SA New Member

Caliper Part No:

357 106 F
    357 105 F

Re-measured and can conform 61mm clearance.

18. GTi-SA New Member

Carrier Part No:

a bit odd no vag number - CN5 2337/4 6172 Lucas

24.5mm width clearance for disc on carrier (the radius slot in the the middle of the horizontal carrier arm).

Radial clearance from hub CL to carrier slot is 144mm.

The carrier I personally stripped from a Audi 1995 quattro cabriolet which was supposed to have S2 twin pot G60 calipers!

Seems VAG South Africa fitted anything that was in stock!

19. danster Forum Addict

Was the donor car an automatic? The one I had was. They can have larger brakes due to no engine breaking. Stationwagon / estate version might also be a factor.

20. GTi-SA New Member

I will try and get some detail from my mate that sold the passat setup to me. You think you've got it tough in the UK, my MK2 with factory fitted 2E motor is not recorded on Elsa nor ETKA. Mk3 motor with MK2 wiring loom, 16v 020 2Y Gearbox etc, etc.

90% of the time I buy parts they don't fit[:^(]