repair kit for 02a shifter/tower

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by idlirp, Nov 1, 2011.

1. idlirp Forum Member

is there a repair kit for the mk3 box so that we can get the more precise and modern throw feeling as in the mk4? or just the precise one (like a new mk3). the answer would be the 02j shifter and tower swap, but i would look for a more cheaper option, like the one of the mk2 020, sth plastic/bearing/cable related.

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Nothing avilable when i looked. Best bet is replace the whole lot with MK4 stuff. Tower and linkage/cables.
    Alot of work but worth it.

There are MK3 "Quick shifts" about but no idea what they are like. Pricey too!

3. idlirp Forum Member

the quick-shifts are really rubbish, negative feedback all over the web. they dont work well on 02a either.
    the ultimate project would be the mk4 02J with the TT shifter, but that would be a lot pricey and if i get an used one, i wouldnt know its condition. a reconditioned 02a costs more than my car's value. i would think of it only after a couple of years, when the mk3 16V GTi will be a piece of history [:D]
    i've seen many junked mk4 golfs around, but mainly 1.4 with the cheapier 02k one.

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

any link to the mk4 tower swap?

5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

A search of 02j tower or shifter will bring stuff up. I've done it and it's fairly cheap and easy.

You can rebuild the towers with parts from dealer which are fairly cheap and you can add a TT short shift to it too.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

vw will sell you all the bushes, there is a thread on here somewhere with all the part numbers

7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Bushes dont do much for the shifter. Did it and it can't make up for a dodgy tower.

8. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

I think he means new bushes for the 02J tower:thumbup:

9. rubjonny

asking if 02a shifter AND tower can be repaired, or if not how to go 02j if you read properly :p

10. idlirp Forum Member

yes jonny i am asking for the 02a to be repaired. the 020 kit for the mk2 costs 9. sth like that, a temporary solution.
    ...anyway i know i will end up with the 02J, but i really need luck in finding a good one here in my country. another question, TDI mk4 boxes? they are 02j but different ratios, arent they?

11. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

O2a shifters aren't worth rebuilding as I mentioned earlier. ;)
    Tdi will probably won't have the right ratios plus they are slightly different in shifter design as they are usually 6 speed. There must be some mk4's being broken? What country are you in? Couldn't you find one over here and get it shipped.

I actually have a mk4 shifter spare. But without cables.

12. rubjonny

maybe if really buggered, but replacing the bushes can make a nice difference as per this thread plus shows a few parts you can get to make it even better

after actually driving an abf with SEAT cable clutch conversion and 02a shifter i dont see what all the fuss is about, it felt fine to me! even coming from a car with a missing linkz rod shift kit i didnt notice the 02a shifter and cable clutch was really as bad as the online hysteria makes out :lol:

13. idlirp Forum Member

thanx jonny, that i was talking about!!!!!
    im gonna copy/paste the part numbers and gonna order them at the VW representative here in Albania. i dont think they'd cost more than RJ'prices shown there cos they have fair prices, i.e an VW oem vehicle speed sensor for mk4 just 12.
    i really like mk4 shift feeling, the original mk3 one isnt bad either, but mine has a lot of gap between the shifters and a lot of parasitic movement.
    @tshirt2k: i have read a lot about the o2j conversion, the tt shifter, the cables and that will be the permanent step, meanwhile lets see sth more original and cheapier. many thanks to all of you.
    a rep+ for RJ!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  14. rubjonny

UK prices are all there, as you can see not expensive. course those are old prices, but as long as still available they wont have gone up that much. cant realy comment on prices in your country though!

15. idlirp Forum Member

YEP! i saw them and edited my post! cheers!

16. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

tried a mk3 shifter upgrade with new bits, and it didnt work, confirming earlier discussions. scratching my head now on the right way to get a decent change on a trackday cordoba....
    Even thought about going backwards to 020..

17. richard h New Member

Exactly the same problem mk3 vr6 197000 miles knackered o2a shifter had already had all the shifter bushes replaced it still felt as loose as a bad caser of the squits.I knew the box was coming out for a complete rebuild secured an o2j shift tower and selector rod via E bay( they were audi tt parts) and then from german recyclers got a nearly brand new o2 j shifter and cables for about 50,the benefit of the german recyclers is they tell you the mileage of the car the part came out of with identifying number and usually show a picture p and p wasnt much and delivered with typical tutonic efficency, I chose this because i just didnt feel after all my efforts i would ever get the o2a to work properly,then i added diesel geek hemispherical ends to the cables(as part of their short shift kit),though in fairness the o2a plastic ends are more substantial than the o2a ones and look like they will last the distance IMHO the shift is far superior it feels brand new admittedly not cheap using new parts but I am sure with a copy of EKTA and a computer it can be done very reasonably

18. idlirp Forum Member

can you post a video?

19. idlirp Forum Member

just ordered them for 9.

20. idlirp Forum Member

hello everybody, im about to post my diy in cgti but i have a serious question, everybody who did it, im begging to answer:
    this is a bushing with the part no 357 711 166 A

[​IMG]
    By senndogg

this was vital for the project cos it was nearly 10% efficient, but for changing it , I HAD TO remove the whole shift from the bottom of the car, that means removed also the exhaust :(
    it was IMPOSSIBLE to remove it from the inside of the car, meanwhile all other bushes cold be changed easily. did i do sth wrong? havent i tried enough? this, the cap, and 2 other bushes were nearly at the end of their lifetime so they were meant to be changed! i couldnt leave this (357 711 166 A) there with all that play and slop... should i write down the whole process so others can benefit, or i have made a mistake in changing it so i shouldnt? please answer.