26/08/17 *post 262* Toyotec's 'JENVEE'. The 6 speed era

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Toyotec, Dec 1, 2011.

1. muppet9966 Forum Member

Great thread Eddie

2. Bundles Forum Junkie

christ! I shudder to think how well it's going to go and how good the economy will be after it has been tweaked then! [:^(]

Toyo, if you ever fancy optimising a mk4 1.8t, i volunteer mine! :p;)

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Bundles, the car was in the same condition as bought.

From what I have tested and witnessed it shows how well past owner logans_run looked after the vehicle.

I would have attempted to fine tune the engine but I was busy with other vehicles on the dyno and did not think any tweaks would have affected WOT performance significantly, more drivability, which can be done off dyno :thumbup:.

4. Toyotec

JORAN gets some oomph with an ABF engine and SEM update...all in a day!

JORAN has been running fine since purchased last year. The 8v PB engine was very faithful, returning 49-50mpg and achieving a healthy and near OE 113.7bhp@5100rpm at Garage Streamline, earlier this year.
    By modern day standards, I found the performance of this MK2 GTI to be just adequate and possibly similar to a 2011 Focus 1.6 TiVCT.
    As a daily driver this MK2 GTI could keep up with most traffic but without the creature comforts such as A/C, ABS and airbags.

How this all started

I have been commissioned to start consultancy on a EA827 16v project. In due course details and results of this project will be shared with the forum.
    This is a project involving multiple test iterations, many of which involving real driving impression. So a vehicle was reqiured to develop the powertrain. As a result last week Thursday the 9th, JORAN was converted in a drive in drive out operation to house this...
    [​IMG].
    ...Yes the good ol' ABF engine swap into a Digi 2 Golf.

The challenge.

Being the author of this thread I thought to make even more interesting, some challenge should be added...
    This swap was to be performed in a day including the conversion to an SEM ECU and drive away.

Pre prep

Some preplanning was required to allow the above objective to be successful.
    In pre planning, the base head and block was purchased and stripped of unwanted components.
    [​IMG]

Once the above step was concluded, the cylinder head was removed from the engine block and the cylinders/piston crowns were inspected for wear det etc.
    [​IMG]

Next the big end and small end bearings were inspected.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With all the internals looking in good health the engine was reassembled with a new cam belt and FEAD (front end accessory drive) 6PK975.
    [​IMG]

The engine control loom was construced and debugged off vehicle.
    [​IMG]

The ECU from H545XYK was converted to a wasted spark config and pre tested off vehicle. Config and base calibration from many ABF/MS converted
    vehicles and projects was used as the 'going in' calibration.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There was some 'dress kit' missing such as components as the alternator, intake manifold and a host of fasteners.
    Ben S donated pieces of manifold which consisted of standard runners and stock sized pleumn.
    [​IMG]
    and an ABF alternator was acquired from Stevens VW.
    [​IMG]
    HPR came to the rescue with many of the fasteners for the engine not found at Stevens.

As the engine will be run in wasted spark config, the dizzy will no longer be required.
    Duff supplied his "Tmount" dizzy plate
    [​IMG]

And a bracket was made to mount the Ford Sigma coil pack.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A 5.5kg 020 flywheel was sent to Hotgolf for treatment and came back a bit leaned out to 3.3kg lol.
    A Jetex 'catback' system was acquired for a song.
    [​IMG]

Let the work commence

With a day taken off work and the 16v engine more or less prepared, JORAN was loaded up then driven to Garage Streamline on a weekday to start the process.
    [​IMG]

My little 8 year old came along as a 'helper'.

With the Olympics in full swing the roads into Central london where a ghost town. A4 just after Hogart Roundabout 10:35am
    [​IMG]
    Olympic lane was not a concern this day!

We arrived at the garage at 11.00am.
    [​IMG].

Once at the garage Jerome got involved with some readiness prep...all supervised of course ;)
    [​IMG]

His thoughts about the 8v engine...
    [​IMG]
    :o

and the 16v ABF motor...
    [​IMG]
    [:D]

We continue with the engine removal...in the next note.
    [​IMG]

:thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  5. Toyotec

With the 16v engine prepared for installation, efforts turned to dismantling the vehicle in order to remove the 8v lump.
    [​IMG]

As with any major effort there were some obstacles. 2 of the exhaust nuts, actually the ones closest to the bulk head,
    would not budge.
    Some persuasion later and the engine could finally be removed. (I really did not care if the studs on the 8v manifold was broken)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once the engine was out, some of the supporting dress kit and components to be used with the original 020 AUG gearbox, were transferred to the ABF 16v engine.
    The parts:
    [​IMG]
    1. Starter and bolts
    2. MK3 PAS Pump assembly
    3. 020 8v VW clutch and flywheel system ( NB the clutch/pressure plate was in good condition and not replaced)
    4. 020 front starter/gearbox mount bracket.
    5. 020 gearbox inspection plates and splash shield
    6. Gearbox fasterners

In order to use MK2 PAS lines on a MK3 PAS pump, the pump adaptor for the MK2 must be transfered to the MK3 PAS Pump.
    Mk3 PAS pumps come originally with a banjo fitted as pictured below.
    [​IMG]
    Picture shows this MK2 PAS adaptor being fitted to MK3 PAS pump assembly
    [​IMG]

Also note:
    The MK2 direct drive starter was swapped for a MK3 020 planetary gear reduction unit ( more starting torque seen on the RH)
    [​IMG]

The automatic clutch cable was binned, in favour of a manually adjusted one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hotgolf's flywheel was used in place of the STD item
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As the original 8v RH engine mount will be reused, the 8v engine bracket was also transferred.
    [​IMG]

Powertrain complete.
    [​IMG]

Over to the chassis.

As this picture shows all the original 8v GTI engine and gearbox mounts were used.
    [​IMG]

In this MK2 Digifant vehicle, the engine control loom is separate from the engine bay loom.
    As the ABF engine would be controlled by Megasquirt, the Digifant 2 system would be made redundant.
    The ECU loom, with it's connections for the AFM, throttle switch, injection, engine coolant temp, hall sensor and TCI-h were carefully removed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No more digifant control.
    [​IMG]
    This left a main T5 connector, which would be later interfaced with the MS ECU
    [​IMG]

All done and the 16v engine was housed in it's new home.
    [​IMG]
    As with all installations in the past, that used the original engine mounts there were no concerns with the new engine’s height or levelling.
    The engine bay loom was reconnected to the dynamic oil switches and senders, starter and alternator warning light.
    The original MK2 8v water gauge sender was reused in the spare space in cylinder head outlet flange

The Megasquirt ECU was then connected to the T5 connector.
    T5/5 Red/Black - Injector Supply
    T5/4 Blk/Yel - MS ECU supply (Pin 28 on MS1/2 ver 3PCB
    T5/2 Red/Yel - MS F/P relay trigger.
    The same wiring format was followed in my " How to convert your digi Golf 2" thread.

A fly lead, that represented the middle pin on the Sigma coil pack as the ISCV supply, was then connected to T15 (keyed ignition), which orginally powered the original VW coil.
    Diodes where connected to the 2 spark channels and joined on the banded side, then connected to the red/black lead for the rev counter.

When the Digifant control loom was removed, the earth part of the loom, from T31 -ve battery earth was cut.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was used to supply the Megasquirt with an earth source ECU pins 7-19.

In all 5 fly-leads were required to power up the MS with pre-planning of course.
    ISCV/Coilpack +ve supply
    Injector supply + ve supply
    F/P relay trigger
    ECU +ve supply
    ECU earth rail - ve supply.

The Megasquirt ECU vacuum hose was attached and when the vehicle was keyed on.
    The fuel with the fuel pump primed did it start?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You betcha!! :thumbup:

With the engine running again, the good Garage Streamline guys came to the assistance to fit the exhaust.
    There was some minor welding to be done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    OE exhaust parts removed.
    [​IMG]

It is 9pm and the Jetex exhaust is mounted and cooling system complete, the grill, lights and horn where connected and I drove JORAN home, topping it up with 98 RON fuel along the way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As the calibration was desktop generated and really used for debug purposes, there were some driveablity concerns but no overheating or leaks.

It been a full day work but the job done for today!

Further work.
    • Tracking
    • Vehicle clean
    • Calibration.
    • Acceleration pull and compare.

6. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

Looking very good Eddie, I'm hoping to install my ABF in one day as well.

7. Toyotec

Something like yours maybe a few hours like 4, with pre prep though.

More notes about JORAN coming soon as you will see.

8. Admin Guest

Great work Eddie, looking forward to all the notes ;)

9. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Good start there Eddie. Should make a great fast road toy when it's done.

Gurds

10. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Estimated bhp/torque , Eddie?

11. Toyotec

Notes added to post 2 shows completion and driving home :thumbup:

12. Toyotec

Following in your wake lol

13. Toyotec

JORAN, cleaned, tracked,GTECH'd...Data is already pouring in!

With JORAN now ABF'd and safely home that weekday, work re-commenced on that weekend, to resolve some of the concerns noted in post 2, regarding it's maiden ABF drive.

Tracking.

With the work done to remove the engine, the left ball joint had been removed to swing the axle out of way. As the car also had the brakes updated to use 16v hubs when it was purchased, the tracking was very much out. The car would wander while cruising or acceleration or even braking and squeal around the slightest of corners.
    vw-singh and I have used some of his effective DIY alignment gear during on going WOLF R suspension development. However at the time he was out on holiday.
    I then remembered Chris Eyre had constructed some tools that could also be used.
    [​IMG]

A quick phone call and he gladly donated his time to the cause. With the car connected up this gear, it became very evident how badly toed out the tracking was.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After attempting to persuade the LH tie rod to turn in the outer end (with blow torch etc), we had success with the tracking.
    A quick drive around the block and the car was back to 'normal' :thumbup:

Vehicle clean

With the sun shining, the pressure washer was brought out and the vehicle was given a quick blast in the engine bay and exterior to clear off the crap.
    Exterior...pimmmp'd
    [​IMG]

Engine bay...pimmmp'd (Note: the crap mushroom filter is temporary)
    [​IMG]

Tach is happy with the diode signals from coil pack
    [​IMG]

Calibration

There were some issues with various modes of engine operation.
    The idle rolled, the tip-in was jerky, the back-outs were harsh and the engine response at any load delta plus accel in WOT felt muted.
    Some hours later an acceptable calibration worth saving was created and the vehicle felt subjectively much better. Objectively would come later...;)
    As can be seen in the pictures the engine does come with an ISCV and I have configured the MS to run this unit.
    With the base calibration more acceptable, this feature was switched on. It was calibrated with a bit of starting flare to aid the engine entering into idle.
    The calibration was robust enough to lead me to the next item

Acceleration pull and compare :thumbup:.

Now this is the part I thought would never be achieved that Sunday :o

Baseline data via GTECH [:D]
    [​IMG]

With the car now tracking 'true' I went to my favourite spot to gather the first set of characteristics of the powertrain.
    [​IMG]

And the result is illustrated in the below comparison with the car as an 8v.

JORAN 8v_digifant 2 vs JORAN ABF_MS Gs

[​IMG]
    ...A significant improvement with more acceleration force everywhere!
    I should also point out there is torque/acceleration plateau from 4300rpm to 5500rpm, A similar trait was also seen in vw_singh's 174 and 181bhp MK1 plots.
    [​IMG]

There is more driveablty calibration that is on going to constantly refine the shape of the torque plot and remove some of the negative dips as well as improve engine response. I would expect the dyno plot to be of a similar profile as seen in these G shapes.
    As I am beginning to like the feel the of the end result and use the Gtech to capture any improvements as a % difference, a dyno test will be performed on this vehicle once I am happy with the calibration.

Next steps.
    Brake update to 280mm MK3 GTI discs/calipers/carriers
    Master Cylinder update to 23mm MK3 GTI unit.
    More calibration.
    Baseline chassis rolls dyno validation.

Stay tuned...Stay optimised [:D]

14. Toyotec

Don't know...But subjectively what ever it achieves on a dyno sure does feel fun to drive on that 020 gearing!

Will test it on the dyno soon so it can sit with the rest of data gather during the years.

15. jamesa Forum Junkie

:clap: Excellent work & explanation `Toyo` ... thank you for your time / sharing :thumbup:

You`ll now have a `queue` at your door no doubt !

16. tommy16v Forum Member

Nice work Eddie ! Almost wrc engine change times but with toyotec +one ! :-)

17. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Nice work. That favourite spot reminds me of burnt brakes and feeling sick lol

18. Toyotec

^^Left foot braking to keep revs locked, load adjusted with right foot, Gs measured on ar..se.
    Human steady state dyno lol.

19. Toyotec

Goes to show the type of planning and strategy in 'real' motorsport teams where time costs championship points.
    Thanks got the comments.
    I am just a DIY enthusiast though...

20. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

more than a mere DIY Enthusiast , PaSTOR!