Mk1 hub / upright / bearing carrier differences

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by danster, Jan 20, 2012.

1. danster Forum Addict

I have generally only had Sciroccos in the past, however a recent influx of Mk1 Golfs happened to enter my life. (drinking alcohol and looking at adverts is best avoided [:$])

So during some vehicle manoeuvres it became apparent that certain driveshaft outer CV joints when fitted to certain vehicles would not allow rotation of the shaft. I had put this down to corrosion build up around either the outer CV, or around the inside of the bearing carrier.
    However on closer inspection it appears the bearing carriers have been machined to a different size on the Mk2 Roccos (possibly late Mk1 Golfs too?). Basically machined to a larger internal diameter by approx 2mm around the very outer perimeter where the outer CV joint is.

This is a pic of a mk1 Golf bearing carrier and it measure 75mm across this area in question.
    You can see there is still 2-3mm of material around the casting edge.
    I am waiting on a fellow CGTI member to get his bearing carriers blast cleaned then a second dimension will be added to show that the other ones are machined to a larger diameter. These are identifiable by a thinner margin around the outer perimeter, it almost leaves a sharp edge because it goes so close to the edge of the casting. They also have a slightly different shape to the brake calliper carrier mounting lugs, the smaller diameter type having a more rounded shape.
    I know there are very early Mk1 platform bearing carriers that use a smaller bottom balljoint pin, but these are rare now so concentrating on the far more common later type with 17mm balljoint pin.
    Using the larger dimensioned bearing carrier will allow a wider range of outer CV joints to be used, this is because the joints seem to have a few different profiles at the point they meet the bearing carrier. Some result in contact and therefore binding.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  2. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Changeover to the larger wheel bearing housing was in 1984 - prior to that, all A1s had the smaller housing.

From what I remember the smaller outer CVs have been out of production for years now so most pre-84 owners would have encountered /will encounter this issue.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yars changeover due to 84 on cabrio and scirocco having 100mm shafts on the fuel injection models, the outer cvs are larger on these shafts hence the need to grind out the extra :thumbup:

4. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Gti's up to 84 don't have that hubs its only later mk1 cabs and Sciroccos
    That have them I posted the p/n up once

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  5. danster Forum Addict

Late carb model Roccos use 100mm inner CVs too.

This subject was brought to my attention when a Mk1 racer needed spare hubs / bearing carriers.
    I had various ones here but wanted to make sure they would be compatible with his needs. He uses the larger outer CVs so I sent some of the larger diameter types to eliminate any issues.

It is not impossible to have the outer CVs suitably altered in a lathe, to reduce the diameter / alter the profile where they would bind on the smaller diameter bearing carrier.

6. rubjonny

yes 1.8 carb models from 1988 onwards, i was just saying that from 84 on the 100mm shafts came in so thats why the big uns came in :)

could you have material ground out of the earlier bearing carriers too? or is there no room in the earlier casting

7. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I have the same verniers! [8D]

Gurds

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Great info. In years, I have never got to the bottom of this.

What puzzles me is I took a 1983 model year car and had no difficulty putting 100mm cabrio shafts on it.

So, questions to answer (!):

1) Is the outer CV on a 1300cc Golf/Jetta the same as a pre-84 Golf GTI outer CV?
    2) Is the outer CV on a pre '84 GTI the same or different size to a post '84 Cabrio/Scirocco?
    3) Which of these CVs match the Mk2 GTI outer CV? And 4-stud Corrado / Passat?

- or are they all the same, in which case which bigger CV are people fitting to the post '84 Mk1 hubs?

9. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

the change in the outer cv jonts is easy to work out
    they change to the same as the mk2 golf goes into production

to Q1 no different part numbers for mk1 gti gt and gli
    to Q2 see above they change to the mk2 cv's
    to Q3 as above only golf jetta Scirocco
    passat ones are fitted to some mk1's and Scirocco's

other cv outer joints should fit ie mk2 16v/g60 ones as the 16V Scirocco use the same one's 191498099BX

the post 84 mk1's gti use 191498099CX

mk2 gti's use 191498099AX fitted to late automatic mk1's

this is only based on the hi powered engines ei DX,EV,PB,KR,PL and so on
    i would say they all fit the mk1 hub

dan get fitting lol

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  10. fredybender Forum Member

This is what I do to 100mm axles, it solves this issue.
    Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

11. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Not everyone has your "cool tools" in their garage though, eh? :lol:

@ Chris - maybe that 83 had already had the CVs changed before? I remember one of the old VW mags outlining the procedure for adapting the housing and referring to a VW bulletin that contained instructions.

12. rubjonny

damn i wish my copy of elsawin had more info on the mk1/2, would be so much useful information in it like the outer cv parts bulletin :(

edit: I take it back! MK1 section of elsawin seems to be pretty much complete, even includes a significant section on the k-jet system and checking/diagnosing dash clock faults amongst other things. just mk2 golf data that seems very incomplete. oh well!

Edit: Just had a look, Elsa says 'a mixture of new and previous parts is not possible' so no bulletin here. it does tell you how to ID the new castings by a 'small lug on strut arm', which should be right where the outer caliper is at the bottom right of dansters picture above.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The '83 was bought from new by my Father and I've no recollection of them being changed. Possibly one, once I got hold of it, so it's near certain to be an anomaly in the logic here.

14. rubjonny

maybe the outer cv was just small enough to fit, were they oem or aftermarket?

excact chassis numbers for the bearing carrier switchover:
    Chassis No. 15 EK 006 507 (Golf Convertible)
    Chassis No. 53 EK 012 218 (Scirocco)

15. Admin Guest

I changed the shafts on an 83 carb for 100mm VAG complete shafts and then 100mm aftermarket without any problems.

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Pictures of six spare Mk1 hubs I have. All appear to be the same, just under 75mm ID across the back. I have never had a prob fitting Cabrio 10mm shafts to the last two.

I will add an extra post below this one of hubs on the car. These have not been measured, so just for scrutiny:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Hub on car:

[​IMG]

I don't think I've ever seen later spec Cabrio / Mk2 Scirocco hubs!

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Found another, same again: 75mm ID.