MK2 Golf lightweight replacement bonnet

Discussion in 'Trackslag.com' started by Trackslag, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Trackslag

Trackslag Forum Member Trader

Some stories of lightweight bonnets are accompanied with a horror story, usually involving speeds of three figures or forgetting about the bonnet pins!
    Materials and manufacturing techniques have come on a long way since then.
    We're hoping that the only story you'll be telling, is the one about how you nearly throw it over the roof every time you open it!

I'm going to update the thread with technical details as we go, but for now we're making the moulds.

We are aware that the more hardcore amongst you will have raised your turrets. We want to make the new bonnet with clearance for this.
    This is where you come in. I would guess that everyone who raised their turrets, did so in a slightly different way, so it would be good to see what you've done with yours?

Does anyone have any other clearance issues with their bonnet? Have you ever completed your latest mod, only to leave an imprint of it in your bonnet frame? If so, please shout up!

Ps; I'm going to sort out some kind of offer for everyone once we get a feel for the best way to do it :thumbup:

2. barny Forum Member

16v ABF in a mk2 has some isues with the throttle body/cable hitting. Different frame work in that area would be a bonus. Ive shaved my engine mount to help this.

3. Trackslag

Hi Barny, thanks for kicking things off.

That's exactly the kind of thing we're looking to hear. Cheers :thumbup:

4. Admin Guest

I went out in the rain to take a pic for you, the front frame of my bonnet has a small section removed to make room for my ITB air filter. Also had to remove material left and right front frame for bonnet pins - I imagine most would have to do this on a composite as they will be running pins to stop flex/track damage etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2012
  5. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

click here for early to late inlet manifold differences, early inlet manifolds give clearance issues, late do not

6. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

The upper front strut brace and even the intake pipe (metering head to TB) on my ABF setup foul on the bonnet. Previous owner hacked a chunk out of the underside of the bonnet skin to limit this [:s]

7. Trackslag

Hi smudge, thanks for going out in the rain.
    You're quite right, some people are going to fit catches/pins but we're hoping that ours won't need them. We'll probably adapt and strengthen things around where you've fitted yours. Not sure about your filter clearance yet but it's on the list.
    Thanks for the pics :thumbup:

Thanks for pointing that out, it's on the list for the early style people.

Could I have a picture of your "modified" bonnet please? :lol:

8. jamesa Forum Junkie

Bonnet security ?

Could you please elaborate on your intended securing method as some people may wish / need to fit catches / pins for trackday / competition purposes.

Thank you.

9. Trackslag

Hi jamesa, we are intending to use the OEM catch, latch and secondary spring catch.
    Basically, you would be swapping all of the bits from your old steel bonnet onto your new composite one.

It has always been our intention to make it easier for people to fit catches/pins to the front of the bonnet but still have it hinged at the rear.
    Are you suggesting that we make provision for people wanting to make it a "4 pin clip on" arrangement?

Does this answer your question? :)

10. jamesa Forum Junkie

Yes ... thank you.

Realising that there is only so much that you can economically do to cater for people`s specific needs, be it:

- Road only ... requiring standard security
    - Road / Trackday ... requiring standard security plus front bonnet pins
    - Competition ... requiring 4 pin location

Given that people would install their own catches / pins will the bonnet be provided with reinforcement in those areas ?

You providing the product in the first place is great without me getting carried away :lol: and complicating matters ;)

Keep up the good work :thumbup:

11. barny Forum Member

I'll be fu..... didnt know that! Bare in mind im using kjet so have the throttle linkage on top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

You can sort of see the 'hacked' out section near the back edge of the bonnet in this photo. Although it's not very neat, it certainly serves it's purpose well and prevents any gross fouling of bonnet skin on TB/intake pipe/strut brace etc.

Will try and get a better picture for you in the next day or so....

[​IMG]

13. Trackslag

The plan at the moment is to have two framework moulds. One to be OE replacement and the other with features such as mentioned in this thread.
    Areas such as hinges, latches, catches and pins will be reinforced as needed, be it in the way of composite material or alloy plates.
    Thank you for your kind words [:D]

Hi Barny, thanks for those.
    I did wonder how we would work out the depth needed but your pics have cleared that one up.
    Cheers [:*:]

I can see roughly what they've done but you're right, a clearer photo would be better.
    Thanks for your efforts though :thumbup:

We're going to have the OE style framework mould ready by this weekend so we should have have some close panel weights by next week some time..

Thanks again everyone for your input so far.
    Mathew.

14. thegave Forum Member

Please say you are going to keep the OE vents between the washer jets.

15. Trackslag

I would love to keep the vents.
    We've got a feeling that it's going to be very time consuming putting them in so we'll have to see how that one goes...
    Ultimately it'll be down to cost but yes we do want them.

16. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Finally got round to it....here you go :thumbup: Bit of a bodge by the previous owner but serves its purpose ha!!

[​IMG]

17. Trackslag

Fantastic. I know it can be a hassle doing stuff like this so it's really appreciated :thumbup:

18. Trackslag

A little update

Here's a little progress report.

We've got the first bonnet out of the mould. It's a full replacement style with complete replica inner frame. The hinge fixing points and striker/catch areas are reinforced with alloy plates

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I need to weigh it properly but the initial weigh in on the bathroom scales showed about 7 kilos. The weight of an equivalent strength traditional style fibreglass bonnet could be as much as 14-15 kilos!

I'll update the thread again tomorrow after fitting it and seeing how it reacts at speed.

19. jamesa Forum Junkie

:thumbup: ... for the news !

20. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Looking forward to the test run results of this. :thumbup: