ABF Fault - Cylinder 1 Recognition Sensor (G145) - Updated findings

Discussion in '16-valve' started by jmsheahan, Aug 17, 2012.

1. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Afternoon all,

Was wondering if anyone could possibly help/offer advice on an ABF running problem. Basically I took my ABF'd Digi Mk2 for an MOT yesterday. Had a phonecall about 2 hours later saying it misfired on the ramps during the emissions test, cut out and wouldn't start. Popped round there to have a look, couldn't see anything obvious so towed it home for further investigation.

Didn't appear to have spark so tried a different coil and hey presto it fired up fine. Thought that would be problem solved however I spent a bit more time looking at it today and it appears to be running ok on the original coil again! Scanned it with VAGCOM for errors and it came up with the following fault code:

00740 - Cylinder 1 Recognition Sensor (G145)
    03-00 - No Signal

Cleared the codes and it was back again on the next scan. A search on here reveals it could possibly be a distributor fault. Checked the plug was getting power and it is however makes no difference to the running of the car unplugging it.

I was wondering if anyone could shed any further details or other areas to look at before having to fork out for a new dizzy. Hall sensor failure perhaps? I'm not ruling out the crank sensor yet (brand new but a Topran part, not genuine) but was under the impression that flagged a G28 fault.

The car appears to run fine on the drive, same as it did before but I don't want a repeat performance down the MOT station again and unfortunately I can't road test until that's done lol

Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the cam sensor wont be the cause of the cutout problem, it'll run ok without it but in batch fire. maybe the old coil overheated or something?

1st thing check the wiring you should get continuity between the brown/white on the tps, idle switch, hall sender and coolant temp back to the brown blue on the inlet air temp sensor, crank sensor, and also back to ecu pin 33. the red/black wire goes to ecu pin 45, and the green/black back to ecu pin 44. look at the pins on the plug too make sure they look ok and arnt bent out of shape.

finally check dizzy only has 1 trigger window, if all that checks out then hall sender could be dead!

3. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Thanks for the pointers, will have a look over the weekend.

The problem does seem to be when the car is hot so overheating coil is a possibility - picked up a new one this morning to rule it out regardless.

Would imagine the dizzy to a 1 trigger window one rather than 4 - it's the original still, haven't touched it since it came out of the 'beeza other than a new rotor cap.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  4. rubjonny

I also had a faulty crank sensor that behaved like this, car would cut out near 80 degrees then stay dead till the temperature dropped to 60

5. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Got today off so had a look this morning. Put a brand new coil on. Car runs fine but there is an audible miss every so often. Got the car up to temp, seemed to carry on running fine, revs cleanly, got the engine really hot, didn't cut out and hot started fine etc [:s]

Sorry to sound like a dunce but what should I be doing for continuity test? Just postive probe in one of the connectors listed above and negative to a good earth on the ohms setting? All wiring and pins look to be intact and ok, nothing bent or out of place.

Had a slight variation of the code when scanned - same fault but 03-10 - No Signal - Intermittent this time around.

Really hope it's not the crank sensor lol:thumbd:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  6. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Replaced the ECU 30 relay today just to rule that out as it's cheap. Rescanned with Vagcom today several times and no fault codes listed whatsoever [:s]lol

However, I did manage to replicate the misfiring symptoms the garage mentioned once it was up to temp and hot, misfire got pretty heavy and was on the verge of cutting out. Revs seems to hesitate, bounce and stick around 2k rpm if I rev whilst at idle.

So, checked over the wiring again, all seems to be ok as far as I can tell. By my reckoning I have two choices:

- Replace the crank sensor again for a genny
    - Replace the dizzy to rule out the hall sensor

Rather odd it's not showing the fault consistantly now. Gut feeling says go for the crank sensor first but if anyone could advise before I have to fork out it would be appreciated (money is a tad tight at the mo and both items are not cheap!) :thumbup:

Not the best vid but you can kind of hear the miss in this video

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  7. rubjonny

disconnect the hall sender plug entirely and see what happens, the car should drive ok but in batch fire mode so you loose a bit of power. it'll still pull ok but will feel slightly more 'rough' is the only way i can explain it. also try unplugging lambda to rule that one out.

check the measuring blocks to see if inlet and coolant temp values are as expected, also look at the throttle position. it does sound crank sensory to me though,mine never flagged any codes either it just cut out dead!

8. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Thanks RJ,

On inspection yesterday disconnecting the hall sender from the dizzy makes no noticeable difference to the running of the car. I've only been able to replicate the stalling issue since changing the ecu relay but this could just be coinsidence.

Read up a lot last night and lambda is first on the list to check today. Regarding the measuring blocks which number will those readings be under and what readings are deemed to be ok?. Uploaded label files but there are still things unlabelled.

I guess if the crank sensor is failing intermittently it won't always throw up a fault code.

Again cheers for the help in solving these abf issues!

9. rubjonny

cant remmebr off hand what the numbers are, but they are labled as temperature so you should find them no problem :)

10. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Cheers RJ.

Ran the car up to temp again today, very lumpy and misfiring all over the place right from cold all the way to up to hot. G145 code was back again and the car seems to stick at 2k rpm for a few seconds, kind of bouncing almost like a rev limiter before progressing through the rev range. All of the following was checked running on the drive:

Lambda - Unplugging this made no noticeable difference.
    Dizzy - Unplugging this made no noticeable difference.
    Throttle position was 0.00 degrees at idle so all correct there.

Measuring blocks were as follows:

[​IMG]

RJ or anyone elses thoughts appreciated before I splash out on a genuine crank sender :)

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

G40 = G145 (for Cam angle sensor (CAS)) is located in what is described as a dizzy. The sensor operates on the Hall effect.
    Once the cranksensor (CKP) has plausible signal strength and the TCI unit, KL87 and KL15 are in operation, then the rotor will distribution ignition to the leads regardless of a dopey CAS (G40/G145) MAT(G42) or CTS (G62) and so on.

The CAS is sync'd to the missing tooth (one window) of the crank 60-2 trigger wheel thus giving more infomation on the other cylinder positions.
    Cylinder recognition is extremely important as it is responsible for determining which cylinder is in a crank angle window for knocking, via stereo knk sensors, individual spark trimming, as well as the phasing of injection beginning and ending times.
    During part load operation, on ABF and VR6 engines, the removal of the G40 sensor will cause the engine remove spark timing significantly by default, and cause engine stumbles and hesitation during the drive as the features described above are disabled. As you can imagine fuel distribution is affected as you are likely to run lean on some cylinders, possibley not helped by temperture correction!
    Idle and WOT conditions are less affected as they are controlled by separate tables.

I am of the strong opinion, the ECU is not obtaining a return signal from your camshaft sensor (G40) or the "dizzy" on pin 44 of T68 allowing the diagnostics to show this fault.

My suggestion would be to inspect the 3 pin plug on the CAS at terminal "+" for ~5v and on the "-" for earth. Check the pins of the ECU connector T68 at pin 45 (TPS reference voltage) and pin 44 signal return, to ensure they have not worked themselves away from the ECU pin.
    This would also explain why pluging and unpluging the CAS makes no difference to diagnostic result.
    You may need to purchase a replacement dizzy if all checks out ok.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  12. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Thanks for that Toyotec, some really detailed information!

I an confirm the CAS (hall sender) plug is getting 5v but will check over the others details tomorrow. Apologies for a simple question but can I ask regarding the ECU connector pins how you know which number is which? I.e is it just a simple case of counting from left to right until coming to pin 44 and 45? Should I be getting 5v at the ECU plug end too?

I checked the pins/plug visually after RJ's comments above but got a bit confused with the continuity testing. I'm not the best with electrics!

Many thanks!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  13. rubjonny

continuity testing requires a multimeter, you set it so it beeps or goes to 0 when you touch the pins together. then put 1 pin on the dizzy pin,. the other on the ecu pin. it should go to 0 or beep. if not either wire is damaged or you got the wrong ecu pin. note the ecu pins are tiny i find it helps to poke a paper clip in the pin :)

to find out the pin numbers look closely at the ecu the end pins are all labled, so its a case of counting up or down from there. you can also remove the back of the ecu plug then you can see the wire colours which helps to double check you have the right pin. if you look on the side there is a wee tab, carefully lever that up and the back of the plug slides off. you'll have to cut off the zip tie at the wire end if that is still fitted too.

you know the earth and the signal wires are good since you get 5v at the dizzy, so you only need to check the return. I'm not convinced the dizzy is at fault because i have driven mine without it plugged in for a good few miles and it drove perfectly fine, down on power and not quite so smooth on the throttle but it certainly didnt missfire or anything like how yours is. unless the return wire is damaged and earthing out somewhere i suppose that would do the trick!

also a mate of mine drove from gilford all the way to brighton and for god knows how long before that with his unplugged and he didnt even notice till i pointed it out when we got there :lol:

14. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

There you go!

T68 ABF/ADL female connector.
    [​IMG]

The ECU has an internal supply rail with +5v dc. The plug/loom just transports this supply.
    You have already confirmed the ECU can supply the Hall (+) with 5 Volts. Now you want to ensure the wire lead from the 3 pin hall plug (0) to pin 44 on the T68 connector is intact with a continuity tester.

Set the tester to the lowest resistance, which may also have a buzzer/beeper function.

Open circuited
    [​IMG]

Closed circuit with beeper in my case.
    [​IMG]

15. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Thanks chaps, really appreciate the help and the images :thumbup:

My multimeter doesn't beep but I'll just put it on the lowest resistance ohm setting. Will report back tomorrow with the findings! Again cheers!

16. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Ok had another look this evening. Following the helpful pointers and pictures above the results are:

Stripped the ECU plug covers back and all pins look ok and undamaged.
    Pin 45 to the red/black wire on the hall sender plug = 0 so continuity checks out here.
    Pin 44 to green/blue wire on hall sender plug = 0 so continuity checks out here too.

With the ignition on I got 11v at the red/black wire on the dizzy plug rather than the 5v I got before!

Car really does run like a dog now even from cold so something is definitely packing up/becoming more apparent.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  17. rubjonny

maybe unwrap the wiring for all the sensors on the engien, perhaps there is damage here? i cant remember if i repaired this section for you or not?

18. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Do you mean the section that runs behind the back of the cylinder head above the manifold to the TPS etc RJ? If so that looks to be original judging by the material wrapped around it so I could strip it all off. I did send that to you though so I'm sure you probably went over it when you worked your magic on the loom :)

Is there anything else I should be checking with the multimeter?

19. rubjonny

ah yeah i think i remember your one, it was absolutely mint never seen another one so nice so i left it, might be worth unwrapping it anyway just to be sure :)

have a look at the ring terminal on there make sure its got a good clean earth connection, it should be on the back corner of the head under the dizzy. if cylinder head was painted then make sure you clean the pint off under it where you popped it on so its got a good clean contact direct to the head.

has it had a new ecu relay? if not they're less than 20 from vw so may as well buy one. its a #30 you need ask the dealer for a gti 8v/16v mk3 ecu relay. im still thinking crank sensor failure mind, but hopefully its something a little less of a pain in the ass to change :lol:

20. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Haha oh right I see lol. I'll take the covering off today to have a look.

Yeah I changed the #30 ECU relay earlier in the week for a new genuine one just to rule it out. Interestingly it seems to have exaggerated the poor running problem once changed.

The two earth ring terminals that go to the side of head are clean and the cylinder head is unpainted. I will double check again though.

So just to be on the same page the wiring checks on continuity all seem to check out ok then and there's no other multimeter tests I should be carrying out?

Thanks again for the help. One day I may get to drive this car lol