no spark or fuel pump in mk1 conversion

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Admin, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Admin Guest

got the engine turning over, but no sign of a spark and certainly no noise coming from the fuel pump when the ignition is turned on.

The ECU relay is getting the correct voltage but i don't know where else to look. Fuel pump runs when bridged out.

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

I would look at the fuel pump wiring;)

No really, I guess this is a modified loom, Standard ECU?
    What number fuel pump relay do you have, Working ok?

Do you have VCDS? Would be a way to check the ECU is powering on.

3. Admin Guest

modded loom by rubjonny, using the mk1/20v loom, checked the fuel pump relay, works ok off the car, don't know how you test it on the car. it s the standard 62 relay.( think its 62, what ever is stock on the mk1 GTI.

Stock ECU.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

how do jon! you need to replace the old k-jet pump relay with a 67, 80 or 167 from mk2 digi/16v or any mk3 petrol, plus most other 90s vw and seat. the stock one relies ona rev counter signal to work, which would be why its not working if your adaptor isnt fitted yet or isnt working for some reason.

you can rule out all fuel pump control issues by fitting a #17 or 18 relay in the fuel pump socket temporarily, this will make pumps come on with the ignition. the 17/18 is the x-over relay which powers wipers etc, so car will run without it while you test :)

tci is long gone ;)

5. Admin Guest

another forum another answer from RJ :lol:

will give it a bash tomorrow night, rev counter adapter is now in, though from a previous forum post i'm yet to find out if it is indeed getting the ignition live supply. that will be tested tomorrow to :)

6. Admin Guest

right fuel pump runs on relay 17

got myself 167 but no fuel pump running, try the other two or are they all the same?

7. rubjonny

67, 80 and 167 are all the same, could be your 167 is bust? if another one still no worky then that suggests ecu isnt powering up or the earth trigger wire from ecu to D/13 is damaged. does the car run with the 17 relay fitted? if so then suggests ecu is happy and its a wire problem, if not then something else isnt right with the wiring

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Try bridging out the relay with a piece of wire to prove that's the issue?

9. rubjonny

thats what fitting the 17/18 relay in the fuel pump relay socket does mike ;)

10. Admin Guest

Will have another check over the wiring, not tried the car with the 17 fitted, as i found whilst testing that out, that the fuel lines/pump needed attention as they were p*ssing fuel out.

11. Admin Guest

D/13 is a purple/white wire, can't see where it goes back to in the ECU loom harness to check its continuity.

On ignition live should you get continuity to earth on that wire? to check its all ok.

Is there any other way of indicating that the ECU is powering up?

12. rubjonny

d/13 should earth for a few seconds on the first turn of the key, then go to earth when cranking. this runs to ecu pin 65 if you want to test for continuity. if you could get the diagnostics going that would tell you if the ecu is powering up :)

check the ecu pins:
    1 - earth
    2 - earth
    3 - ign live
    62 - permanent live
    121 - ign live

coilpacks should have ign live to pin 1, and earth to pins 2 and 4. 3 i think is a pulsed live from ecu?

if you disconnect the ecu plugs and look at the front you can see a purple tap, if you slide that out you can pull the wire holders out the back for better access to test the wires. also the pi9n numbers are written on the wire holders which can somtimes be easier to read than the numbers inside the back of the socket?

13. Admin Guest

All ok bar the ECU pulse on the coil packs as i need another set of hands to test that one out.

Next step is to take all the wiring out and start again with connecting it up and see if I have missed something out.

14. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

just from the info I have, checking the coil pack

Coil Pack
    1 Battery Voltage (12V) from Relay 428
    2 Earth
    3 Pulse 12V or Earth to trigger Coil pack
    4 Earth

from relay 428 - Dins
    30 Fused Battery Voltage (12V)
    87 Feeds Coil Pack Voltage (table above)
    85 Earthed trigger from ECU
    86 Fused Battery Voltage (12V)

15. rubjonny

as above but on yours the ecu is switched by the ignition, so 85 is earth, 86 is ign live

16. Admin Guest

where is relay 428 then?

The info from Chris is similar to yours, which checks out ok bar me not being able to test the coil 3 on my own, unless i've missed a trick in doing that?

Is there an upper and lower limit that the ECU needs in terms of voltage?

17. rubjonny

428 is the factory mk4 relay, so dont worry about that. your ecu relay is the #53 at the top of the fusebox :)

the ecu wants as close to battery voltage as possible, the ecu relay takes care of the ecu and coil power and so it should see good voltage

18. Admin Guest

readings taken with ignition on

relay 53
    30 12.12v
    87 12.12v
    85 no voltage but showed earth when tested
    86 12v

Coil
    1 12v
    2 earth
    3 Can't test
    4 earth

Thanks for the help so far, when you turn ignition to on you can hear the 53 relay click open.

19. rubjonny

ok relay and coils seem to be getting power just fine then, maybe a faulty crank sensor?

20. Admin Guest

will have a look, other than replacement, how do you tell if its dead?