8v Camshaft Query - ADZ swap for 2E/AGG

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Natedogg, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Natedogg Forum Member

Hi all, tried the serch engine but couldn't find what i wanted.

I ve been give a mk3 gti 8v Cam (not sure it its froma 2E or AGG - or if there any different) but i wondered what the duration and lift of the cam would be - or of both if they are different.

Also, does anyone know the duration and lift of the stock ADZ cam?

All i can find in the haynes book is the 2E is "A 026" and the ADZ is "Q 026" (same as an ABS - have no idea what that is as an engine)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Nathan

2. Nellis Forum Member

Nathan, the 026Q cam has a lift of 10mm, duration (measured @ 1mm) of 216 (actual 254), lift @ TDC of 0.72mm and a lobe spread angle of 111. The 026A is 10.2mm, 220.2 (258.2), 1.0mm and 110. These, of course, are "as designed" values and not as actually measured.

3. Natedogg Forum Member

Nellis - i have no idea how or where you found that but top notch info!

a whole 4.2 degrees duration and 0.2mm lift extra from a CL to a GTi cam - damn - no wonder the 8v mk3 was a bit pants out of the box if thats all it got cam wise over the 1.8 spi engine.

Still, its lairier (sp) than stock so worth a swap as i have all the bits and its free basically! lol.

i'm not sure if the stock intake manifold/single point injection would allow enough fuel for much more so this will probably be the only interanal mod it will get.

4 branch will follow (as i have one spare) and a VR/GTi cat (got to keep it legal) to fit onto VR6 jetex system.

Car also runs a drilled VR6 air box and K&N panel and make about 100hp at mo (so 10hp up from stock).

Will report back if cam makes any difference what so ever.

4. Nellis Forum Member

Ok, here's an actual measurement (let's call it a case study)
    [​IMG]

as well as the camfollower displacement graph

[​IMG]

This is not where it ends, as the angle of the keyway, relative to the centre of no.1 lobe is 640' on the A and 440' on the Q. Now here's some irrelevant info but also relevant to a certain extent. The Q and the L has the same "lobe part no", if one could call it that. The only difference being that the L has an angle of 810'. The L, our side, was used in the 1800 carb engine. Another case is the G which has the same lobe as the A with the only difference being the keyway angle of 410'

5. Natedogg Forum Member

Nellis - i have no idea what any of the above means - but looks very impressive and pretty!! Sorry mate.

Do i need to change the timing on the dizzy therefore?

Or on the belt by one tooth? Or do i need a vernier pulley (on a stock gti cam???)

Sorry - excuse my ignorance

6. spudboy6 New Member

Hello guys , just joined up as ive been looking for some information on a certain few things that has only been talked about in the thread !

i have to same above mentioned car 1.8 with an ADZ engine and want to fit a cam form a 2.0 8v 2E or AGG engine ,

now ive read all the above and wondered did the OP ever get a 2.0L cam in his 1.8 and how does it run or did the mod never get pulled off ?

only thing i read above that concerned me was the key way being in a different position so would like to have so more info and see if it was ever done ,

thread revival !

thanks

scott

7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

great info. why not buy a cheap secondhand kent/piper so you will notice the cam change? they do come up for sale
    Jon