Brake question

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Vdub_Matt, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Vdub_Matt Forum Member

2. Chrisrpal Events Team

You can use MK3 hubs, I think the 8V and 16V will fit the mk2 but not sure on the S2 brake calipers. I know VR6 and G60 calipers would be upto the job. I would recommend fitting new wheel bearings in the hubs also.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

S2 brake calipers are fine on 16v hubs. Keep
    Checking the breaking ads. Think passat 3a hubs and some SEATs might be usable too. Check before you buy though!

4. Vdub_Matt Forum Member

i no the s2 calipers have same mounting point as the g60 calipers
    just finding some hubs is turning in to a nightmare lol

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

I know a guy who might be breaking a Mk2 16v, but someone else already has their name down for the hubs. I'll let you know if that changes, but don't hold your breath!

6. Vdub_Matt Forum Member

ok cheers mike that would be great pm if they dont have them ;)

7. thegave Forum Member

I got some spare 16v hubs knocking around but they have seen much better days and would need a good clean up, AND you'd have to collect them from London.

Let me know if you get desperate or ever pass through.

8. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I used SEAT Ibiza bits to convert her 8v GTI to 280mm spec. The legendary DaveD worked on the Audi s2 bits back in the day and found them to be a very bad design.

9. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

Really? I was thinking of getting S2 brakes off eBay but maybe I should find some g60's instead

10. Vdub_Matt Forum Member

Hey Gave i am never passing that way and no where near london but thanks for the offer =]

11. Vdub_Matt Forum Member

What is wrong with the s2 calipers
    i use to have a 280mm g60 setup on my old mk2 golf thought i would try something different this time

12. thegave Forum Member

From what I've read the S2 calipers are very heavy and do not offer significantly better stopping performance over regular G60 calipers. But you know what the internet's like... Everything with a pinch of salt.

I have to say a G60 setup with good pads makes for formidable stopping power. The Compbrake 285mm 4-pot kit is also reasonably good value for what you get.

13. Vdub_Matt Forum Member

i will try these calipers and see how i get on with them if not i will go for some g60 ones

14. Vdub_Matt Forum Member

also does any one know if 15s will fit over the s2 calipers ?

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

Yes I believe they will - the Audi 20v Quattros run 15" rims on the same brakes I think, so some 15" rims will fit.

16. Vdub_Matt Forum Member

cheers thanks for all the input guys much appreciated =]
    i will start my build thread soon lost half my pics though

17. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

During the works testing of the 90Q 20Vs and S2s the test drivers comments were:

"Graunch, graunch, graunch......"

My own findings were that the standard 90 Quattro 20V brake set-up, which is identical to the S2, were very unsatisfactory.

As the test drivers said, they "Graunched" badly when used in anger. The pads broke up very quickly and scored the discs. While the whole car shuddered when braking from high speed.

I bought new OE discs and pads and tried again with the same results.

In the end I got Mintex the make some comp. grade pads, I still have the drawings, and fitted Brembo Group N soft discs, which were Cross Drilled.

The brakes worked quite well then.

To my way of thinking, if you are spending a fortune, building a high performance Golf, then a set of second hand aluminium 4 pots off ebay is not out of the question. Those Audi calipers are uber heavy and make a mess of unsprung weight.

At the same time, if you are only increasing the Golf's performance slightly then do you need brakes designed to stop a 1500kg car from 150 mph?

Looking at it from an energy point of view: The brakes on the Audi have to absorb 2.5 x more energy than in a Mk2 Golf stopping from 120mph.

18. Vdub_Matt Forum Member

the golf will be running probably 130bhp so would a 256mm set up with good discs and pads be a viable option ?

19. Joe16v Forum Member

Thats what 16vs have and theyre meant to have 140bhp. Good pads should help though

20. turbotommy Forum Member

Too true,I remember 256mm's braking power to be awesome when new on a std valver back in the day. They are a very simple braking system,get it all working "correctly" with the right master cylinder and I see no problems at all,chucking a load of old un-serviced calipers is asking for trouble obviously.
    All they need is the sliders lubed correctly & the pistons free,along with the brake nipples free.