312mm Conversion - Completed

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by S1MMA, Aug 20, 2004.

1. S1MMA Forum Member

I've been busy sourcing the spacers/various bolts/goodridge hoses for the conversion, so It's not progressed past the workbench yet, but my Engineer friend has done a good job on some carrier spacers for me - and I have managed to find a good source for the longer carrier bolts (the standard ones are a bit short, I prefer to use longer ones, wouldnt be funny if they fell out!). The goodridge hoses didnt fit in the mk4 calipers (the goodridge guy said they hadnt made a kit for them yet) but I've found the right size banjo bolts, and just waiting on their delivery.

So, when the banjo bolts are delivered, I should have all the parts necessary for this conversion, and will only need to find a free weekend in which to attempt fitting the kit.

Will update when anything new happens.

S1MMA :)
    Edited by: S1MMA

2. simontwithers Forum Member

Good luck, be sure to keep us updated.

3. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

yeah sounds pretty mint, always good to have some pics too! keep us updated!

4. Chris H Forum Junkie

good job :clap:

you'll make my 305's look small [8(] :lol:

5. mattwelcer

mattwelcer Forum Member

Nice one S1MMA sounds like things are coming together nicely!

Looking forward to some more pics and details regarding the Anniversary rims! :thumbup:

6. S1MMA Forum Member

Matt, I put the details of the anni rims in the other thread, the calipers need to be ground down a couple of mm on the nuckles to give some extra clearance, see the other 312mm thread for details - explains everything. Unfortunately there's no chance for these babies to under 15's though! Just about fit under my 16's on the workbench!

Will pose some pics when I get around to installing them, or if anything else happens. :)

7. mattwelcer

mattwelcer Forum Member

OK cheers S1MMA :thumbup: i'll have a look at the other thread!

Shame about the 15" looks like its not that viable for me but still i do have the 288mm discs. :)

8. S1MMA Forum Member

Got some pics of the pads, 280's vs 312mm pads - notice how much more area the 288/312mm pads have:

[​IMG]

This pic shows the spacer now installed, which fills the previous gap, and aligns the carrier on the disc properly, mine are machined from hardened steel IIRC.

[​IMG]

Still waiting on my banjo bolts, hopefully get them early next week.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2018
  9. S1MMA Forum Member

Had some time today, so installed the rear braided hoses:

went from this:

[​IMG]

to this:

[​IMG]

In about a couple of hours for both sides - taking my time. I heard its easy to round off the solid line bolts, so did everything slowly and had no problems at all.

10. S1MMA Forum Member

Been v busy at work recently, hence the wait for the 312s to be installed, but I have got round to doing it now and they are on!

Job was quite straight forward, no complications which was nice. Good to be fully prepared before starting also! Spacer went on fine, bolts all fit perfect, used threadlocking compound on the carrier bolts just incase ;)

They've been on for a week now, and they're nicely run in. I've not really tested them properly yet, but early signs are good.

So onto the pics:

Got the new braided fronts installed, with the correct size banjo sitting in the new calipers:

[​IMG]

This one is the finished product:

[​IMG]

and woila:

[​IMG]

Here's a good comparison with my 280's:

[​IMG]

So all in all a good upgrade if you can source the calipers or carriers for sensible money and your rims can take them! Just need an engine that'll test em now.......

[:D] [:D] S1MMA [:D] [:D]

11. mk2fan Forum Member

NICE! but does it stop any better :p

12. Andy947 Forum Addict

Nah wouldnt think so:clap: [8-}]

13. S1MMA Forum Member

Well, I'm using OE pads - so they dont need any warming up like the pagid FR's on the 280's. Initial impressions are that they dont need as much pedal pressure to stop the car as the 280s did (put that down to the larger pad contact area) and obviously they wont overheat as easily as the 280s either, will update when I've really tested them.

14. mattwelcer

mattwelcer Forum Member

AWESOME!!! :thumbup:

They just fill out the anniversary wheels, you need to clean the wheels though. ;) :lol:

Just to confirm as i already have the 288mm discs and calipers i only need the 312mm discs, carriers and the spacers? Thats if i ever do it, maybe if i get a second car as a winter project ;)

Once again excellent job there S1MMA! [:D]

15. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

In terms of actual stopping distance, they probably won't make any difference. It's the tyres that are the limiting factor, if the 280's were capable of locking the wheels (more than likely) then bigger brakes aren't going to make you stop faster. The benefits will be in other areas, like less pedal effort, and less heat and stress related problems.

16. S1MMA Forum Member

This is true, the 280s are more than capable of locking the wheels on my car in the dry. The benefits of the 312s is actually for hard use of the brakes - they wont overheat anything like as quickly as the 280s and will give me consistent stopping power where I felt the 280s didnt when used hard. So - when my car goes on track (with a suitable pad) or when I'm driving it hard the brakes hopefully won't be the limiting factor, and I will have more confidence in the 312s.

Dont forget for pootling around town 239's or 256's would be more than sufficient of stopping your car, but if you are considering using your car v hard then I'd seek to upgrade. Larger discs generally take more abuse to overheat, which means the pads/fluid stay cooler for longer etc... etc...

17. S1MMA Forum Member

thx for the comments mattwelcer, the rims are clean now! :lol:

You will need the carriers, discs, spacers and really you should go for some longer carrier bolts.

I have a source for the bolts and the spacers if anyone is interested in carrying out this conversion. PM me if interested.

18. altern8 Forum Junkie

looks good :)

19. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Nice brakes but i can't help but feel sorry for the poor squirrel [:^(]
    [​IMG]
    :lol:

20. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict