Golf mk5 tdi radiator fan problem

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by sparky1972, May 11, 2013.

1. sparky1972 New Member

Please help
    i have a 2005 golf mk5 tdi ,
    The problem is the radiator fan , the larger one of the two stays on all the time . I have replaced this fan unit and replaced the coolant temperature sensor and still has the same problem ??? relay number 458 seems ok , clicking in and out and fuse number 8 isnt blown , PLEASE HELP

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Are you able to scan it for fault codes?

3. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

when you replaced the fan unit, did you do the larger fan, and left the small one (which often seizes up)
    The large one has the controlling electrics the small one

have a look in the diagnostics section for any owners of VAGCOM/VCDS or other scasn tools these are the first point of call on these later cars [:s]

4. sparky1972 New Member

yes the smaller fan is the slave of the larger, i did disconnect the smaller fan to see if this made a difference but no . The smaller fan runs freely and bearings seem ok ..
    Like i say relay ok , coolant temp sensor replaced and fan unit replaced , i have a schematic and it seems to show another sensor on the thermostat housing ?

5. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Just main sensor on the housing side of the head, and a radiator sensor related on the hose of some models. Normally.2 pin on both

Your correct its the slave, both should run at the same speed only seen once the large one faulty causing the small on to spin up

6. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I scanned a Audi a3 3.2 that had the pulsing fans / running all the time the the coolant sensor was what the fault code said was wrong
    Changed that still the same
    Scanned it again still the same fault code
    Cleared the fault and started the engine again and it fixed the problem fans work as they should

7. sparky1972 New Member

sensors G62 and G63 - I believe G62 is the coolant temp sensor , which i have replaced , does anyone know where the other sensor is ? Also the location of the radiator fan switch ? Many thanks

8. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

G62 is the coolant temp sensor, in the side of the head in a plastic housing, G63 will be the other one in the bottom hose of the rad, there is no stand alone sensor for the rads, they are controlled by mapped values from the ECM

9. sparky1972 New Member

Cheers Crispy , i will have a look and give that a go ! does G63 have a name / part No ? or is it the same sensor as the G62 ! Many thanks