Exhaust advice golf mk2 20vt

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by shiggins92, Jun 28, 2013.

1. shiggins92 Forum Member

Currently im running a qpeng downpipe and a custom 2.5" pipe to a golf mk2 2" scorpion exhaust with two silencers. As the 2" exhaust is restrictive i am wanting to get a custom exhaust made from the 2.5" pipe. I have spoken to the person that will be making it and currently im looking at getting 2.5" all the way through with just the backbox and 2 twin 2.5" tips.

Has anyone had a setup like this before? Will it be too loud? Also will the 2.5" tips look too big?

I really wanting an exhaust that can only be heard when you put your foot down and it unleashes hell lol I really dont want to be listening to a drowning noise.

Any advice?

2. thegave Forum Member

If you want it to be quiet I would suggest adding a second box. My Jetex system has three and I still find it a little loud.

As for exhaust tip sizing, have a look at the 2.5" Stainless Exhaust thread in the TrackSlag section, there is a fair bit of discussion on what sized tips look good in the big bumper slot along with photo comparisons.

3. Earl1515 Forum Member

I have a straight through 2.5 inch with single box at the back and it's quite load, people always say to me ' I heard you coming' lol

4. Earl1515 Forum Member

Mines a k04 turbo, personally I'd go for a 2 box system. One box is loud

5. mk2bal Forum Member

Trackslag all the way!! It's a mk2 20vt must!!!

6. Gazt Forum Member

I've got 2 boxes on mine,fairly loud,not on the annoying side at all,wouldn't want it much louder tho,2.5" all the way from the turbo

7. mk2bal Forum Member

Trackslag behaves well sound wise, nice and quiet low down and at idle, and you know it's there when you thrash it.. Unfortunately if you want it really quiet you'll have to sacrifice some flow with extra boxes.. Does your intended fabricator use mandrel bends? They are a must!

8. shiggins92 Forum Member

where is the trackslag section?

9. turbotommy Forum Member

Its here;
    http://www.clubgti.com/forumdisplay.php?252-Trackslag-com

I've ran 2 x 2.5" systems on mine,1 was a 3 box system that was very quiet but had too much restriction flow wise for my needs and future goals so I reverted to a 2 box trackslag system (mostly after seeing one for myself and the construction & comparing the two) its only slighty louder but I gained approx 11 G/S extra over the old exhaust (and secured it better when swapping them)

10. mk2bal Forum Member

I've got no test results or data etc to compare, but from a construction point of view, I.e it has to fit mk2 body, be 2.5" throughout, mandrel bends and good flowing boxes, stainless for longevity, sound good and secure well to the body, well it ticks all those boxes so I find it hard to beat? I will be taking car to r tech this year sometime so will eventually get feedback from people who map these engines all day long and might be able to comment on any differences to the 'average' setup?

11. shiggins92 Forum Member

UPDATE:

A few month ago I finally decided on the Trackslag exhaust. I was a little unsure at first as I had never heard of them but after reading all the fantastic reviews and about the great service I thought I would be missing out if i dont. So after speaking to Mathew on the phone I sent the payment direct through Paypal and he said he would post it the very next day and he will keep me up to date on what is happening. The next day he rang me and said he looked at the address and realized that he is not that far from me and can he personally drop it off. I thought why not! So 12 hours later after paying for it he was at my door talking me through it and the best way of fitting it etc

[​IMG]

I was really happy with the quality! It came with everything I needed to plug it in! I was going to wait a few weeks but i couldn't resist and I went the very next day to get it plugged in :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was plug and play with no problems! As some of you know with exhausts most need adjusting to the car etc and they are never perfect but I had no problems with this system!

I am really happy with the system as the sound is perfect and gives off a nice burble! Its the sound that makes you wonder whats round the corner and what the hell is in it! Its not the sound of a Corsa waking up next doors cat. Its not too much and its not too little...its perfect for what I want it for. I do a few track days and some of them being 'quiet' track days I needed a system that would be within the limit.

So the real test:

[​IMG]

I took the car to Croft and it got tested at 86db at 4800rpm and the limit was 88db. Perfect!

A daft video my friend got on his phone, not the best but it gives you a bit of an idea.

[​IMG]

So overall I am really happy with the quality, fitment, sound and look of the exhaust but most of all the service. I still speak to him to this day as my car pops up every now and then and hes still offering his advice etc. So if you are looking for a system for your car I would highly recommend Trackslag exhausts and don't be scared to call up for advice etc if you are still unsure.

Thankyou!

Richard Mk2 likes this.
  12. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm definitely buying one for mine too :thumbup:

Did you retain your Qpeng downpipe and did it fit ok mated to the Qpeng ?

:)

13. mk2bal Forum Member

I agree shiiggins, from when you order through to delivery, and even after wards the service is 110% with Trackslag. Top product from top company!!

14. shiggins92 Forum Member

Yes and no problems at all! :thumbup:

15. Richard Mk2

That's perfect then, as my Qpeng isn't that old really.

It's payday this Friday ;)

16. mk2bal Forum Member

Richard, do you have a local rollers you can prove power on pre and post fitment? All other things being equal to see if there's much difference prior to fine tuning? I have no comparison as I've only used their system from day one, you have drivers 'feel' to notice any gains/improvements over your current setup, but a roller print would be ace. My local rollers does a power run for 20

17. Richard Mk2

That would be a good idea tbh :thumbup:

The only one I would use that's close to me would be Garage Streamline.