re-programming new remote key 2001 mk4 2.0 golf gti

Discussion in 'Security' started by jaydee242, Jul 3, 2013.

1. jaydee242 New Member

I have just purchased a 2001 mk4 vw golf gti 2.0, it has only come with 1 remote flip out key. I have bought a new case for this as old one is a bit battered so im going to swap over myself, I need to buy another key but apparently it will need re-programming, im new to this has anyone got any advice as I don't really want to go to main dealer and pay their prices thanks.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  2. corradophil Forum Member

The remote control can be re-programed using Vag-com if you have the full version.

As far as I know if you need the transponder for the immobiliser it is a main dealer job. They get a temporary code from VW to program the transponder.

3. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

You can reprogram the key if you get a new unused transponder as they can only be programmed once on the newer type.

If you get vag tacho you can do it yourself. ;)

4. corradophil Forum Member

It's been a few years since I looked into this, but don't you need the SKC (Key code) to program the immobiliser? IIRC if you have the original and it is a 4 digit code you can do it, but if it is a 7 digit code it has to be supplied by VW and has a very short expiry time.

I bought a brand new key on ebay, which matched up to the original key spec. The remote worked, but even VW could not program the transponder. In the end they supplied a complete new key programmed to the car.

5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

No. You can get skc from car. Very easy on the mk4 platform. You have to make sure it's and unused transponder though otherwise it won't work.

6. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

thats not 100% true you can use second hand transponders and code them to a different car or clocks
    you right some of the newer keys you cant but it's alway worth trying
    even if vag com said no

done exactly this when fitting r32 clocks to my 4motion

i need to do a thread about this sometime

also some clock are easier to get the immo pin from than others

i'v done a few clock and ecu changes and coding keys
    can also get the immo pin from the ecu on immo3 car
    whereabouts are you based

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  7. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

mk4's the easy one to do, and 'same' key you can tell from the MVB in the immob if it's ok, Mk5- the key is blank/partly coded from MY08 they are vehicle matched

have a look in the engine FAQ there was a vagcom listing, see who may be near and if they can help - some people have the extra leads to do this, others don't!

8. MUSHY 16V

Keys newer than 2001 tend to not be able to be recoded to a different car
    Anything older than that can
    As said above you can check them in vag-com before you code them

9. jaydee242 New Member

hi ive been away only just read your reply re coding new key for my 2001 golf gti, im based in Manchester just trying to figure key problem out as just purchased car and only 1 key supplied

10. MUSHY 16V

You can get new flip keys on eBay for few quid
    You need to get the ones with the immo chip in it lots don't so you have to watch

I found getting someone to cut the key the hard part
    Then you need to get someone with vag-tacho and vag-com to pull the pin from the clocks then code the key
    Some locksmiths will do the lot for you but it's finding one

The remote is easy you just need to get one the same frequency then pair it to the car
    It shows you in the handbook how to do that

11. Fray16v Forum Member

This cost my buddy 204 at T in the park this year as his missus lost the only key while pi**ed, There was a guy that came in on the sunday(to sort quite a few car's with this problem) took out the drivers door lock and read a code on the lock cut a new key and plugged in a little black box and a few minutes later the job was done a new key and reprogrammed in a field in scotland.