Gti front brakes

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Tommyk22, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Tommyk22 New Member

Hi am new to this forum so i apologies if its a question asked alot..

I have recently wide tracked my mk2 from a mk3 gti 8v that i bought for parts and am now breaking.
    So obviously i am using the brakes from the 8v and now want to upgrade them but looking online at ferrodo, ebc and black diamond. They all list brakes for a 16v gti but not for 8v so i was just wondering if the two cars have the same size front brakes?

Thanks tom.

2. Millhausen

Millhausen Forum Member

It will really depend on what year the donor car was. There are 2 different disk sizes o nthe GTI/VR6 models depending on year. 92-95/6 were all 280mm and I believe midway through (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) they moved onto a 288mm disk.

Worth just measuring the disk size when you have a wheel removed. Safest bet at least!

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yus pre-96 gti 8v, 16v and vr6 are 280s, post 96 they're 288. though I think the vr may have changed a little earlier than the lower models?

regardless its easy to tell by lookign at the calipers, if they have a big spring clip on the outside they're 288, if not they're 280. the 288 are similar in design to the mk2 239mm caliper, the 280s have 2 slider pins on the carrier

4. 2stroke New Member

It all depends when the car was made at the factory.

Golf Mk-III 2.0 GTI 16V ( 150 Hp )
    * <--- ( 1996 / 04 ) = 280 mm front brake discs.
    * ( 1996 / 05 ) ---> = 288 mm front brake discs.

:idea: