back to a MK2 Golf GTI 16v..

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by bootsie, Nov 12, 2013.

1. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Well, after a rash on-the-spot decision I'm back in a 16v Golf after 15-odd years away.

IMG_0897.jpg

Never buy a car in the rain they say!
    I had a good look around, including underneath and it looks very clean. Has an interesting interior too:
    IMG_0909.jpg

Not really my cup of tea to be honest.. but also has this BBS steering wheel

IMG_0908.jpg

and this aircon button next to the heater controls
    IMG_0917.jpg

which seems to work fine.

Got it home, gave it a good clean so I could see what I was dealing with. Paint felt very rough so clayed the bonnet and wings just before the light gave out

IMG_0932.jpg

There's a Club GTI sticker in the front, perhaps someone recognises the car?
    Anyone know anything about the aircon? Doesn't look like the factory fit to me.

Things to do:
    De-Chav everything, so
    • Replace the OZ wheels with BBS RAs
    • Raise the ride height (it's on Koni adjustables with unknown springs)
    • Probably put a standard steering wheel back on
    • Sort the exhaust out (noisy Scorpion DTM fitted)
    • Do something with the interior
    • Put the front grille back to standard GTI with badges
    and anything else that would make me look like a sad old git driving it.

Wish me luck!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. Mjj4 Forum Member

You made a good move! Will look nice de chav'd you sound like you have very good intentions!

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

some kind of aftermarket a/c kit, these kits were fitted by the uk dealers as well as other companies. looks to be one of the better oens as the button looks 'nice' at least some are pretty poor :lol:

factory fitted a/c would have a different slider panel and no extra buttons as its all controlled internally by the slider unit. looks to be a proper MK2 leather interior quite a rare option especially in brown, give it a feed, repair the stitching and use one of the ebay leather repair kits to fill in all the cracks and you should get a pretty penny for it when you come to sell!

4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I don't like it...

..I love it!!! What were you driving before it and how are you enjoying it so far?

Get a flat cap and a whippet lol

5. BISSONE Forum Member

Thats a nice find, quite jelous apart from the max power parts :)

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Good work!.

7. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

(Aha-this thread is alive! Gave up for a while since it sat waiting for approval by the mods..)

Thanks all. My daily driver at the moment is an A2 TDI (something for my daughter to drive, but I love it!), my wife has a Mk4 2.8 4motion Golf. Previously had Audis - two S4s (B5 with V6 Biturbo and B6 with V8). My last MK2 was something like 14 years ago - a Rallye..

rallye_rear_right.JPG

It was quick (216bhp on AmD's rollers) but never really felt as exiting as my previous MK2 GTI 16v - too heavy I think. Someone stole it and I moved on to sensible (ish) Audis from there. Always had a hankering for a MK2 16v again though.

Back to this one..

I've just ripped out the horrible Clifford alarm - wiring and boxes everywhere. The arm/disarm noise was unbelievably loud and I just couldn't face it any more, my neighbours must hate me. I've put a standard 4-lamp grill back on (and sourced a 16v badge!) so it's looking better from the front at least. Oh, and I've cut off the dangly crap from the rear-view mirror..

I haven't driven it anywhere yet other than picking it up originally, but it's been down to APS (they're just down the road) and they've given it a good looking over. Everything so far seems ok. Amazingly rust-free, which was my real concern. It has some issues with bushes but nothing drastic. Turns out it has a stainless 4-branch exhaust manifold fitted along with the Scorpion, but the whole system is just noisy and blowing so it'll probably all come off and go back to standard. Have also picked up some mint BBS RZs which have been refurbed so they'll be going on soon. Ultimately I'd love to put a 9A bottom end on it - I don't want to veer too far from standard and at least the 9A still looks pretty much the same when you open the bonnet.

My biggest dilemma is what to do about the interior. The guys at APS have been arguing as to whether it's supposed to be there or not - the last owner told me it's all original but the door cards don't look like the usual factory ones. I don't have an PR codes so it's anyone's guess unless we can find the original supplying dealer and ask them!

The colour isn't immediately to my taste, but if it's original I'd like to keep it. But, it's going to cost 300 just to repair the driver seat, passenger one a bit less (especially if I do it myself with a kit). Colour matching may be a problem too. It's looking quite rough really:

Driverseatrightbackbolster.jpg

DriverSeatrightbasebolster.jpg

Most people I've spoken with want to completely re-trim those two front seats for around 800. That's just not worth it to me. I'd rather keep my eye out for another interior that doesn't need repair.

So, do I keep and refurb this interior, or just source a nice original black leather set and bin this one?
    Opinions, please..

8. Mjj4 Forum Member

imho i'd be tempted to put a mint set of raindbow seats/door cards in it. I dont particularly like the cream with oak green. I think rainbows would set it off a treat and wouldn't cost too much. If you wanted something more sporty you could also get a set of front mk3 golf recaros and get them trimmed in rainbow to keep the mk2 look. All that in total would equal less than 800!

9. Scutler Forum Member

Bbs wheel looks like a copy one, genuine ones did not have carbon trim

10. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

I thought the same, but - because I'm a little bid anal and OCD - because it already has leather I'm tempted to keep it, especially if that was the original delivery spec. Black leather would be my personal preference - that's my perfect car spec then (Oak Green/Black Leather). Have thought about MK3 seats but then it's not OEM (plus the hassle of things not fitting quite right). The retrim in rainbow would cost more than the seats.

I don't like that wheel at all and am on the look out for an OEM looking G60/Corrado leather wheel. Perhaps I can sell the BBS on eBay or ED38 with "rare" in the title.

11. Mjj4 Forum Member

Does it have the white sticker in the boot? If so, on there will be a load of 3 letter or number (cant remember) codes. These codes relate to the spec that the customer ordered. Then you could find out for sure if theyre original or not.

12. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

No, unfortunately not. It's been suggested that I find the original supplying dealer and see if they have any records for it - seems a long shot to me.

13. rubjonny

if you're lucky there will be a copy of the sticker on the inside cover of your service wallet. though sometimes the dealers are too lazy to have a full copy and only have the basic vin information there without the full option code list.

14. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

No service book either. At least, not the genuine VW one.

15. rubjonny

16. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Price has gone up to 50! Hmm, 50 is quite a few replacement parts from the scrappy..

17. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Quick update. Looks much better with the original 4-light grille and badge:

IMG_1048.jpg

and VW have original MK2 mats back in stock, only 25:

IMG_1056.jpg

It's now at APS having various bits and bobs sorted - new rear beam bushes, new front wishbones (bushes again), new Eibach springs fitted to make the ride height sensible and replacement of the suspension top mounts and bump stops at the same time.

In the mean time, I'm still trying to work out what to do with that interior (fix or replace) and I've a few other parts to source. It seems to have picked up a coolant leak around the oil cooler (either the cooler itself corroding, or a split hose) which needs sorting.
    My next item to tackle is the exhaust - there's a 4-1 stainless manifold and a scorpion DTM system fitted that sounds nasty so I want to get something a little more OEM. I'm not sure what the GSF or Heritage exhausts are like, but I'm getting close to Jetex money by the time I've bought a full system anyway. Is the Jetex (even the 3-box resonated) going to be just as noisy though? Or maybe just source a few second-hand original parts via forums or the bay.

18. rubjonny

jetex exhausts are quite noisy yes, more so than the scorpion i took off! i found the scorpion sounded pretty nice actually just wasnt a fan of the dtm. wish I'd kept it and chopped the tips down now :lol:

19. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Ah, better disregard Jetex then.
    Mine sounds like a tractor when it first starts up and then settles down to just plain old noisy when warm. It's blowing somewhere at the back and the manifold appears to be a poor fit too. Sounds like I'm looking at going back to OEM then if I can source the parts.

20. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Car is finally back!

E8D4D85E-713C-48B8-B7BE-9916BC890829.jpg

Fitted:
    • Eibach springs, new top mounts & bump stops
    • Front wishbones
    • Rear axle bushes (shot!)
    • Standard exhaust manifold, downpipe and system
    • Gear linkage bits (bushes, weighted shift rod)
    • Steering rack boot (melted on old 4-1 manifold..)
    • Inlet manifold (old one cracked)
    • water/oil cooler
    • BBS RZs
    • G60 Leather Steering wheel

Plus it's had a general tune-up and service.

In for a busy weekend of cleaning, polishing and fitting all the parts that have been collected over the last 5 months..

1990 likes this.