Does anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by gillmk2, Feb 6, 2014.

1. gillmk2 New Member

Anyone know what this blanking plate and lead is for on the front of my 1.8 8v pb? Its just to the left of the oil cooler.
    Ive just been labelling things up as I intend on doing an engine swap tomorrow but this appears to be different to my 'new' pb from memory (can't check as it is away in a garage).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BennyC Paid Member Paid Member

Is there a knock sensor located in that area been a while since I looked at a pb engine

3. gillmk2 New Member

That was my first thought although looking at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I50cNbqLkpo , I havnt got a clue [:s] as there is nothing even attached where he puts his knock sensor on mine.

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

knk sensor is nearer the alternator.

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

It is a blank for a mechanical fuel pump if the block was used in a carb application. Nothing to worry about :thumbup:

6. gillmk2 New Member

And the lead attached? as far as I can see there is NO knock sensor on the front of the block :o

thanks for reply

7. gillmk2 New Member

Anybody else got any ideas)

8. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

definitely blank for where a mechanical fuel pump would be, that sensor is looking at the intermediate shaft that runs by that hole turning the distributor so could be something to do with that

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

that lead looks to be the earlier type of knock sensor, though I'm not 100% as I have never actually seen one! certainly the wire colours look correct.

the knock sensor on the later ones is over near the alternator though, that one may or may not be wrong as again ive not seen an early type rto compare. or it could be someones bodged up effort from another random car? either way it looks well past it so my advice would be to get a new type knock sensor and fit it to the correct point for a later block, you may have to buff the mounting face flat on the knock sensor boss though as it'll probably be corroded.

a mk3 and other vw/audi knock sensor will work, look for mid 80s to 90s 4 cylinder engines in your local scrappy with good condition knock sensors, take the plug off the donor as well in case yours is missing or different. you should have a square 3 pin type plug but it may be missing

10. gillmk2 New Member

Thanks for the help. The new block has knock attached to correct place so should solve all problems.
    Nothings ever as easy as it is said tho, few snapped bolts, busted knuckles but now I just need to attach flywheel etc and box before putting in. Long days work and a steep learning curve. Who'd have a mk2 eh?

11. gillmk2 New Member

Thanks for the help. The new block has knock attached to correct place so should solve all problems.
    Nothings ever as easy as it is said tho, few snapped bolts, busted knuckles but now I just need to attach flywheel etc and box before putting in. Long days work and a steep learning curve. Who'd have a mk2 eh?