VW Development Parts

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Dormeister, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Dormeister Forum Member

I've decided to split this from a previous discussion. http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?271176-Track-kit-for-vw-s

As its already been discussed there appears to be a small gap in the market for Track/Race focused parts for our beloved car marque.

I have almost finalised tubular wishbones for the MK2, and next on the list is a tubular front subframe.

If anyone has any other suggestions for products, I am happy to do all the development work and testing - and of course will offer them to CGTI members at a heavily discounted rate.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

2. KEE

kee New Member

these tubular wishbones, what are the advantages?
    ideally i'd be looking for adjustable camber, caster. do they fit rod ends/spherical bearings or can polymer bushes be used? this is for race regs

3. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I'd focus on bolt on parts to start with.

As my car is very track focused, I'm interested in things like replacing bushes with solid equivalents (engine mounts, top mounts, rear beam bushes, sub frame bushes, etc).
    I have tubular wishbones on mine, they're AW Tracksport items I bought from Chris Eyre.
    Gear levers would be nice.
    Triangulated rear beams. I'm hoping to have mine fitted before Curborough next month.

I'm sure others will have things they would like too.

4. Dormeister Forum Member

The tubular wishbones come with Rose Joints, so they will have both camber and castor adjustments. They are also 20 - 25% lighter than the OEM wishbones

5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

How bout rear beam triangulation kits. Ready to weld on?

6. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

That work with the original fuel tank :)

Bruce T likes this.
  7. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Small lightweight race alternator kit - light as possible
    External waterpump kits
    Electric powersteering kits
    tubular front subframe assemblies - thought of from a race geometry perspective - includes steering rack, wishbones, maybe even uprights (*)
    bolt-in 'works' engine mounts to hang the engine off the chassis rails (for mk2/3 etc cars and to work with *)
    uprated driveshafts
    blade adjustable arbs
    lightweight but stiffer rear axle assemblies
    pukka exhaust manifolds
    paired down minimal weight wiring looms
    aluminium front and rear hubs

etc etc etc etc

All of this can be made, but the costs are high for one-off products.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  8. murph81 Forum Member

Lower strutbrace for a Mk1 with 02J gearbox.

9. HummuH Forum Member

All of these plus lower ball joint extender/tie rod kit.

If someone made an off the shelf race spec wide-track (all parts required) kit for Mk2/Corrado I'd pay handsomely for that.