16V MK2 No spark / no fuel pump prime

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Yorkiedub, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Yorkiedub New Member

Yeah when I removed my coil their was some ground from the coil to the head. The cable was attached to the bolt that holds the coil in place to the side of the head however the cable used was a ring terminal at one end but the other end was a weird frayed threaded material? Any idea if that is needed?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

it wont stop it firing but it can help with the dash earth as many have found it went a bit loopy without? I've run mine without for a bit and it was ok but put it on your list of jobs to do :)

3. Yorkiedub New Member

I bridged the ignition switch red to black with a wire like suggested and the car still didn't start. Grrrrrrr

I can't get my head around the fuel pump relay. With the original relay in, it does not prime, and also with the new replacement relay it does not prime. However, with using the 18 relay, it does prime. Have I been sent a dud new relay? (VW Heritage).

I still have not put a wire from battery to coil I will try this weekend. Any further suggestions?

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Do you have a spark yet?

5. Yorkiedub New Member

Still don't have a spark could my ecu be done?

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the ecu is what controls the fuel relay on the 16v, so no prime plus no spark suggests the ecu isnt powering up. does the car have an alarm or immobiliser? maybe that has packed in

7. Yorkiedub New Member

Right she is running finally [:D]

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. Basically ran a wire from battery+ to coil+ and it started. So I bought some new spade connectors and ring terminals, redid the ends of the coil connections, and ran a fresh earth from coil to side of the head as the previous one was very haggard! Started first time [:D]

blis likes this.
  8. blis Forum Member

Congrats, it's the best feeling to hear it fire after so much frustration!!

... I wonder if my complete ECU swap was necessary, the coil ground to head was what I did during the swap not before. My son and I had less patience than you did, there were other factors.