Part number - Heavy Duty Exhaust Hanger

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Gloves88, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Gloves88 Forum Member

My jetex exhaust keeps knocking of the rear arb bolt while driving and I think it's because the rubber exhaust hangers are stretching too much for the weight of the exhaust.

Have heard VW did rubber hangers with a chain in them - anyone know the part number?

C&R do them but at 12.25 each they're pretty pricey.

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I think it's 893 253 147 D
    They are off Audi's

I'll look it up later or if John see's this he may do

Gloves88, Nige and G28OPN like this.
  3. Gloves88 Forum Member

Cheers - will give TPS a call see if they can get a few in for me.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the jetex supplied rubbers are pish, they start out nice and stiff but crack up and die within a year or so.

I'm now using 2x 893253147D 1 for mid box plus another for the end of the back box, this one is the same shape as a mk2 rubber but with a chain in. the one I have on the mid silencer was pinched off an audi in scrapper a few years ago, it must be close to 20 year old now and still perfect :lol:

plus I'm using 2x 8A0253147A instead of the orings for the rear of the backbox to help stiffen it even more. Also try loosening both mid box clamps then twist it to get the part over the beam as high as possible and crank the clamps tight again.

This twisting trick helped with mine for a bit but i think the clamps weren't quite tight enough as its gone back to banging after just under a year, rubbers still all fine! I'm going to get under there and bend the mid silencer bracket now as I think its just not quite the right shape

Gloves88 likes this.
  5. Gloves88 Forum Member

Thanks!

That's what I'm finding - box is pretty much new but hangers are already starting to crack. Have put cable tie's round them for the time being which helps a little.

I seem to have decent clearance over the beam (that's the first thing I thought when I heard the knocking) but I think it's knocking off the lower strut bolt.

Because I have a rear H&R arb fitted, it puts the bolt out closer to the exhaust - then because of the amount of flex in the hangers its being allowed to move about too much and keeps hitting it.

I've put an order in for both hangers - will go for the same set up and see if that sorts it. Knocks, bangs, rattles really annoy me.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah is a common one that, you may have to bash a dent in it to clear the strut bolt worst case

7. Andy947 Forum Addict

Dent the box. Faffing with hangers is fine, but ultimately you'll still need to dent the box.