g60 conversion fuel pump running constantly when ignition first turned on

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by RichG60, Nov 26, 2014.

1. RichG60 New Member

I've just finished installing a g60 engine in to my mk1 golf from a corrado using a 25 pin digifant 2 ECU that came with the engine.

All earth's are brand new with oversized wire and in the correct factory positions as per a corrado g60.

I have the car running and timed up and its sweet as nut apart from one thing that is bothering me.

The fuel pump doesn't stop priming when the ignition is in the first position. I have checked pin3 on the ECU connector to the fuel pump relay and its not shorting and also replaced the relay but have the same problem.

Has anyone experienced this? Is this a sign of a dodgy ECU? The ECU has an sns chip I've fitted but everything is working fine as it should so baffled about this.

Any experience on this sort of issue would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Rich

2. RichG60 New Member

Does the fuel priming after run switch (not installed on my fuel rail) play a part in reading the initial fuel rail pressure when priming or is this just a timer in the ECU that says run for 2 seconds and stop?

3. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

wiring
    red/green from ecu is prime earth and red/ yellow in constant running earth from connector on bulkhead.these are what switch your fuel relay ;)

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Might be useful to look at pages 65 and 66 of "corpgecu.pdf" in Rubjonny's documents here.

The G60 fuel pump relay's coil is switched to ground via pin 3 of the Digifant-I ECU.

With the Corrado G60, looking at the PDF wiring diagram, it looks like there's an additional J206 "Fuel pump afterrunning control unit" which is is controlled by the pressure sensor on the rail. However, it looks like that control module doesn't actuate the fuel pump relay, but rather bypasses the relay, switching the ground to the fuel pump directly.

Perhaps in the first instance you could just remove / unplug the J206 unit to see if that's the cause? I confess I've no idea what the J206 module physically looks like! Another approach is to stick a DVM across the fuel pump relay coil to see if it's actually being actuated perhaps? If not, maybe it's the module doing it.

5. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

What fuel pump relay number are you using?

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

eddie the red/green wire is only live when the engine is cranking over on the starter motor so we can rule that one out, it seems to be the relay earth trigger from the ecu at fault here somehow.

we've gone thru a lot of discussion on this one on the mk1 oc and we have found that if the fuel relay trigger wire is removed from the ecu connector it stops the pump so it points to an ecu problem I think :(

7. RichG60 New Member

Hi john, i see you spoke to George on the mk1 oc about this issue as a friend wired a relay in and it had the same symptoms.

He actually wired to the mk1 fuse box.
    http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index...ist/modifications-and_2/g60-mk1-engine-wiring

I can't understand why the ECU would be broken, I bought it off a reputable individual off the mk1 oc with the engine and I have gone to town with oversized earths as I know how prone the ECUs are to failing.

The car is running fine which is odd. I haven't found anyone running separate relays so don't know how common this is.

John I really appreciate your help with this and know how knowledgeable you are with all vw. I just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem as there is nothing on the net about it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  8. RichG60 New Member

I'm using a 53 relay at the moment but have a 167 as well. Do these relays function in the same way?

9. rubjonny

yeah if wired up correctly either will work fine, they work the same way its just the fuel relay 67/80/167 has larger input and output terminals than a 53 relay.

Pin D/13 leads to the earth pin 31/85 on the 67/80/167 relay, the live and ignition feeds for it come from inside the fusebox. pin 87 of the relay is linked to pin E/14 via the fuel pump fuse and spade N unfused. you can use an external 53 relay or 67/80/167 fuel relay instead and the result will be the same so long as you wire it like so:
    30 - live
    31/85 - earth trigger from ecu
    86 - ignition live
    87 - output to fuel pump/injectors/lambda etc

maybe double-double check the red/green wire that eddie mentioned from ecu pin 1 is only live when cranking, it should either be spliced to the starter live wire or the spade wire hanging from C/18. it may be worth checking for power at this pin with ign on in case this wire is shorted in the loom or something

10. RichG60 New Member

Ah pin 1 from the ECU is combined with the other ignition feeds from both relays (ECU and fuel pump) to g5. Is that wrong?

11. RichG60 New Member

So keep both relays on g5 and splice ecu pin 1 to c18 and then all will be good :)

12. rubjonny

ah, yes that could be it. looks liek eddie was right on the money :thumbup:

13. RichG60 New Member

Sweet I'll give it ago later and tell you how I get on. Thanks John \ Eddie. I have a good feeling about this :)

14. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

hes right [:[]
    Just checked again with my glasses on lol and red green is spliced with starter circuit
    Red/yellow is your earth trigger wire from ECU

15. rubjonny

chances are you're right, he spliced it to ignition live :lol:

16. RichG60 New Member

Ha you guys are legends, what is a prime earth?? I heard live and thought positive.

17. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

There is no prime earth ..Your fuel relay is earth switching from your ecu ( should be yellow/red wire) which is positive fed from your ignition circuit..black wire to coil ;)

18. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

that would do it :thumbup:

19. RichG60 New Member

ta dah! It works and primes properly :)

thanks for all the help :thumbup: