1991 GTI 16v - Update 10/02/2018 - It lives

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by sava001006, Nov 16, 2015.

1. sava001006 Forum Member

bare with me as this is copied from another forum, but I will start updating this is due course

hi all, i am new to the forum and new to golf ownership but i have been into classic vw's for a while a few years back i restored a 1973 beetle from this

[​IMG]
    19/04/2011 by Savage_photography, on Flickr

to this

[​IMG]
    B&Q (1) by Savage_photography, on Flickr

as you can see im not afraid to get stuck in, after fully restoring the beetle i can weld rather good spray wire etc, all done myself, right this isnt a beetle forum so

i have just got myself a little project its a 1991 Gti 16v in Royal blue (thats what the paint code says it is) its currently got not MOT as it does need some tlc. looking at it, its needs

- a good service belts job lot (it has come with FSH - so it has been looked after)
    - a little welding round the windscreen and some and the passenger side rear arch, nothing major welding so far.
    - a new passenger front wing
    - a tailgate as that has many holes in it
    - does need a new passenger door but got one of those just needs painting and fitting
    - new spot lamp on the drivers side as it is cracked
    - 4 new tyre's as these are snow tyre's (what do people run i normally go for T1R's?
    - drive side window motor

i'm sure after digging around when i can free the workshop up i will have many thing needed but generally its not it too bad nick

i have order full service kit and a toad alarm as I've got one in the beetle and they brilliant

right anyway thats enough blabber here are some photos when i just got it, and before i gave it a quick wash

[​IMG]
    Just Got Home by Savage_photography, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Just Got Home by Savage_photography, on Flickr[/quote]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  2. sava001006 Forum Member

Didn't really get chance to do much today, as i spent most of the time getting the beetle ready for the summer, but first think first was to remove the battery, the clamp was well rusty but after the used of a hammer its out, next up was the starter motor as on of the connections on the solenoid had corroded away.

[​IMG]
    20150322_172207 by Savage_photography, on Flickr

doesnt look too rusty just needs a good clean

[​IMG]
    20150322_172216 by Savage_photography, on Flickr

this needs a new one, but after looking round the mountain of vw parts i have i noticed a starter motor which had broke had the same solinoid on it, (gave it a lick of paint as i hate putting rusty parts and screws back in)

[​IMG]
    20150322_205112 by Savage_photography, on Flickr

will try to fit this tomorrow along with the new battery see it if can start under its own steam

3. sava001006 Forum Member

managed to start and strip the car, every bolt that need to be undone see to be the rustiest bolts on the damn car so progress wasn't the quickest, I've also got it say on axle stands so i can see whats what underneath, first inspections of the wheel arches are there's a little rust, but the discs and pads are like new.

then the dreaded rust after stripping the front bumper off front wings rear bumper and some of the interior I've found some rot that needs looking at, any way here are the photos

passenger inner wing

[​IMG]
    Strip down by Savage_photography, on Flickr

[​IMG]

the drivers side inner wing isn't too bad at all, will just put a small piece in there

[​IMG]

then the rear of the car, maybe i will put a pannel in here as it it might start looking like a patchwork quilt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the rear bumper support or what ever you call it is well gone, are you able to get them or it is a new bumper?

[​IMG]

and finally got round to the interior and managed to find a hole under the rear bench - this is only small so it a 2 minute job really

[​IMG]

and after cleaning the workshop up i left the car something like this

[​IMG]

4. sava001006 Forum Member

Nothing major to update but a little process, i'm still stripping down the interior. but today i managed to change the cam belt which seem to take more doing that it should be its done now, I've also started to weld up some bits on the car i naturally started with the fiddly bit first :roll: :roll: :roll: and i manged to sort it

I may add it doesn't look massively pretty and yes it does resemble pigeon poo but its the best part of 2 years since i've picked up a welder and i'm a little rust at best (well that's my excuse :lol:)

[​IMG]
    Strip down and weld by Savage_photography, on Flickr

also i've just put in a order for some weld in panels as i don't fancy fabricating the arches as there shot

5. sava001006 Forum Member

update time

got some rear arches delivered so cut the rear arches to bits and welded them all back up didn't get load of photos but you get the idea

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then grind them back

[​IMG]

and then blag over with primer, the guy who is spraying the car is going to fill the arches to make em look flawless

[​IMG]

6. sava001006 Forum Member

more update

the sill I ordered has eventually come some managed to weld that in, had to do a bit of fabbing of the bottom of the A pillar first

[​IMG]

and then on with the rest of the sill

[​IMG]

also with replacing the rear arch I had to tie that in to the sill, which went together rather nice

[​IMG]

one this had been done, it was the inner arch section and the top of the inner wing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and once all that was done I spray over some primer to stop the rust for a little bit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

once that was all done I but on the new wings, to see how they fit as they are not genuine parts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't fully bolted them up but the shut lines are rather good, not perfect but I can sort that later, any way this is how I left it

[​IMG]

not got much left to do just a couple of small parts on the back of the car and then it is done and ready for paint, I'm just having it blown over in the same colour otherwise I would end up taking the engine and everything out so this is the easier/cheaper way

7. sava001006 Forum Member

got pleanty of updates and big ones imo

first of all welded up the rear valance, this took some doing but after hitting and swearing it fit

[​IMG]

once that was done it was onto the prep of the car, this was to help the body shop as he is a mate and turning it round in next to no time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then it was into the body shop

[​IMG]

and every so often i keep popping in, and the guy whos painting has been sending the pics across

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then got a message say that the paint was going on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ that was the gun finish and today i go a message saying it was ready to pick up

[​IMG]

:brian: :brian: :brian: i cant wait,

also managed to re tim the headliner today which also has to be glued back together which was real fun :roll: :roll:

[​IMG]

as the eagle eyed will notice not all the holes are cut out, but i will sort this when i put the headlining back in

hopefully picking the golf up within the next couple of days and then i can start bolting things together

8. sava001006 Forum Member

having not updated this is a while as I've been silly busy, I wanted to get my car to DC15 and the week after Trax at Silverstone, not that important deadline but its best to work to something, but here the story is...

just got the golf back from the body shop and I generally didn't know which bit to start on first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the played with some hammers, start putting seats lights coil over on it

[​IMG]

then started putting more and more parts on the car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also while under the car putting the fuel tank on I spotted that the back box had a hole in it, so I picked up a stainless steel one - surprising the old one came off rather easy which was a bonus

[​IMG]

this is where the photos run dry, as I just started putting the car back together, the hardest bit was the sunroof which was a epic challage and one word of advice is to take you time its easy to mess things up

any way I got the car done for DC15

[​IMG]

and the week after I got some photos on the disused part of Silverstone track

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so now it is all on the road, legal etc

there were some bits that needed doing, the first been the sump seeped out from round the gasket so a quick replacement sorted that out.

There also is a wine which I do believe is the power steering pump, and I think that this is on its way out because the rack leak - it was the 2 pipe on the rack (steel one) and you cant get them but mk3 racks have the same pipes so I got a cheap ass rack and raided it for bits. as for the pump Im going to look in getting one soon.

There's a few bits and bobs that need changing with the car but it drives great, having not drove one before getting this I didn't know what to expect, its brill not the fastest thing on the road but in terms of smiles per gallon it tops the beetle (almost)

9. sava001006 Forum Member

I have now booked the car in for a track day at Cadwell :brian:

but before that there are a few bits that need doing on the car, the first on is the steam seals I wanted to run the car to see if the smoke was the steam seals and not just that it hasn't ran, and as luck has it, its the steam seals. so first thing was to jet wash the engine as it was oily and generally a mess

[​IMG]
    20150808_160156 by Josh Savage, on Flickr

used a good de greaser and the pressure washer.

then it was on to taking the head off, took some time as the exhaust manifold bolt (the one you cant see) was solid so took forever to get it out

[​IMG]
    20150809_180617 by Josh Savage, on Flickr

one photo I got was this one. - stripped everything down got the steam seals out of the head and while there I checked the valve guides and they have gone, so ive phoned up the local machine shop and they are sorting it for me.

while the heads getting new valve guides and what not I have got some 280mm brakes off the G60 to go on,

here is the before photo

[​IMG]
    20150811_184834 by Josh Savage, on Flickr

then the old discs at the side of the new ones

[​IMG]
    20150811_194856 by Josh Savage, on Flickr

brilliant so on with the carriers, then the pads. and just my luck the wrong bad :frustration:

[​IMG]
    20150811_204845 by Josh Savage, on Flickr

so off to get them changed for some other ones

10. sava001006 Forum Member

11. sava001006 Forum Member

12. sava001006 Forum Member

Well did the track day and what a buzz the care was great and didnt skip a beat, oil temp never got much over 106c and the water was good too, im hardly the stig but it was a great day, even managed to get some tuition so i knew what i was doing.. ish

here a few photos from the photographer that was there

[​IMG]
    Cadwell Park 240815 by Josh Savage, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i have plenty if you fancya look click

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joshsav/albums/72157651472191932

got a video of the last session i went on too, i think this was the fastest but my lines on one or two of the corners are a bit off

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6D7-8pWY2Y[/youtube]

Toyotec likes this.
  13. sava001006 Forum Member

the power steering has had its issues since I've got the car and I've eventually got a new pump so off with the old and on with the new

[​IMG]
    Power steering pump by Josh Savage, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Power steering pump by Josh Savage, on Flickr

which fixed the problem so town driving is now a doddle

in other new on the way back home from the pub the car decided to break down, so a quick call to dad and he got my battery off the beetle and we fitted it to the golf to get me home, about a mile if that,

turns out the alternator has given up, lets hope this is the last thing on the golf ready for Germany as that's only 27 days away now :party!: :party!:

14. sava001006 Forum Member

so this happened today, i believe they are off Monkey's old BBM

[​IMG]
    New wheels by Josh Savage, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    New wheels by Josh Savage, on Flickr

there is a bit of rubbing on the front so i think i will have to go for a 195 45 15

15. sava001006 Forum Member

16. sava001006 Forum Member

right haven't updated this is a while, i did manage to get the car completely sorted on the Thursday it was just a ignition switch that was draining all the battery, so i did get it fixed in time for the ring.

after driving 1500 miles to Nurburg round the ring and the roads round there the car was faultless even up with the M3's S3's and a 4.4 V8 Volvo it gave them a good battle in the corners, anyway I did make a short video about the trip, took hours of video so might look at the other bits I recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yhG1Aes8tU

[video=youtube_share;6yhG1Aes8tU]http://youtu.be/6yhG1Aes8tU[/video]

and for those wondering how fast you can get on the autobahn in a standard 16v here is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmzpmLQ5Kok

[video=youtube_share;xmzpmLQ5Kok]http://youtu.be/xmzpmLQ5Kok[/video]

and one last video which was the quickest lap i did 12:35 which isnt quick but i did have fun doing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wICNnBKO77Y

[video=youtube_share;wICNnBKO77Y]http://youtu.be/wICNnBKO77Y[/video]

also got a couple of photos round the ring

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so yeah Germany is brilliant one on the list to do next year.

that leaves what for the car now? it was bought and built to go the ring and that's it. but in the blood sweat and tears that have gone into it i cant quite sell it yet, so the basic plan is to do more track days, with a few tweeks to the car, ARB's possible cams and just bits to improve its track capabilities.

so with that ive got some G60's at the powder coaters and i just got these to fit on it

[​IMG]

they are NS-2R's with a 120 compound

cant wait to try them, the first outing on them is in 2 weeks at Blyton park (1st Nov)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2015
    blis likes this.
  17. sava001006 Forum Member

Up date time, it track time

having the tyres already bought I got a spare set of g60s I had laying about powder coated in metallic grey so that on the track they wouldn't show too much brake dust, I got them done at dragon powder coating who has done a lot of work for me and manages to turn bits round in great time. I also asked if he could put a clear lacquer on them as this would give them extra protection with them been wheels.

any way here a pic

[​IMG]
    Track prep by Josh Savage, on Flickr

I also gave the car a quick once over make sure everything is how it should be and after a quick wash too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then its a quick fill up and ready for tomorrow

Sunday -

its time to head to the track, I set off nice and early to get a good spot and meet up with James (cope on here) having got 10 mins away James already messaged me saying he was there, I thought I got up early to get to the track. anyway parked up set pressures and moaned about the weather, any way a quick briefing telling us the usual's of flag colours and just be safe, no racing etc

[​IMG]
    Blyton Park 1st Nov 15 by Josh Savage, on Flickr

then the wait till the track cleared which was annoying but to pass time I walked the track having never seen it myself

[​IMG]
    Blyton Park 1st Nov 15 by Josh Savage, on Flickr

this was took at Lancaster

but after the long wait we did get back on track, got some video too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXCy8hntByw

[video=youtube_share;aXCy8hntByw]http://youtu.be/aXCy8hntByw[/video]

on this video I took a friend out who come to see us all there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9mu5rL2wv8

[video=youtube_share;h9mu5rL2wv8]http://youtu.be/h9mu5rL2wv8[/video]

I the tyres I was using were brilliant I never found the limit of the tyres - abide i'm not the quickest driver out there.

got the next track day at Cadwell on 21st so not too long wait this track day business is addictive.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2015
  18. sava001006 Forum Member

not much of a update but got the photos through from Blyton Park

[​IMG]
    Blyton Park 01/11/15 by Josh Savage, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Blyton Park 01/11/15 by Josh Savage, on Flickr

go a load more but I wont bore you

also took the manifold off the car and painted that because it was annoying me, haven't got any photos as it was dark by the time I was done last night

19. sava001006 Forum Member

not much of a update but on Saturday I was at Cadwell again

not got any photos up but they will come soon, the day started wet and been on the ns2rs wasn't as bad as I thought I was still lapping quicker in the wet with them than in the dry with t1rs. through the day the track dried up and got some real pace going

see the video

[video=youtube;h4FNPFkwl-g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4FNPFkwl-g[/video]

rather happy with the pace

last time on t1rs - 2:24
    on the nankangs - 2:06

I know its not fast compared to some but happy with progress lets hope I get faster

(before someone comments about timing on a track day its gps and I don't look at it till I get home so im never trying to beat my last time)

I was flying round Chris curve and then was a terrible rumble from the NSR so a quick pull into the pits, jack up and the wheel bearing is past it, also while checking the wheel bolt torques, popping the hub caps off the g60s and the wheel bolt fell out on the front, sheared at the hub

its 2 weeks before i'm back on the track and I've got a few bits to-do

- sort the rear bearings out (got new discs and pads to go on as well)
    - extract the bolt that snapped (got some new studs all round)
    - got a g60 front arb and poly bushes to go on
    - head shield rattles like you wouldn't believe so I need to bend that back or something
    - go a lower front brace to go on (picked it up cheap)
    - change the gearbox oil (never been don't and it wouldn't hurt)

so got a few things to-do before it is next out in 2 weeks time lets hope I can get it all done ready for the track

I will grab some photos when the parts I need turn up... I promise

managed to upload some photos from last weekend

[​IMG]
    Cadwell Park 21.11.15 by Josh Savage, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the above shot sort of shows how wet it was

in other news the parts have turned up so that I can sort the rear bearings out, and just got to create a mounting point for the harnesses at the tunnel side.

so hopefully should be back on 4 wheels again soon

20. Gup16v Forum Member

Great work! nice job on the paint work too! Any plans or she staying standard?

Miss tinkering with mine! :cry: