remap kr ignition ecu

Discussion in '16-valve' started by ivanro_jo, Apr 12, 2016.

1. ivanro_jo Forum Member

Hi all, thinking around the ignition timing of the kjetronic engines and its ecu and limitations... I would like to try to remap the chip inside the ecu:

[​IMG]

This is the chip where the ignition map is.

On kjetronic only can be modified the ignition map advancing or delaying the same in all the range of rpm and load, in my case advanced ignition is good for low rpm but I have problems on high rpm(engine knock) so that the reason I would like to make a tuned map.

Oem kr inginition map:
    [​IMG]

Would be easy and cheap with a eprom programmer like this:
    http://www.ebay.es/itm/High-Speed-T...916274?hash=item2ca7fcb032:g:bQYAAOSwGotWsAh3
    and eprom socket:
    [​IMG]
    and modifying the map by Winols.

Have someone tried something like that before?

I think it will be a very good upgrade for k-jets modified engines:thumbup:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    fasteddie likes this.
  2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Never looked at the binary information on these to be fair.
    Good point on cars with aftermarket bits or even an ABF engine fitted.
    Can look into this though.

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Would also be good for the twin carb gurus
    Jon

4. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

I though these were 6805 (or similar) CPUs with embedded PROM rather than separate EPROMs, hence the issues with remapping them? Could be (probably) wrong though..

5. Toyotec

Might be the digifant 2 of the 8v

6. Toyotec

Trevor, what can I use to read this?

7. ivanro_jo Forum Member

epromm programmer like willem for example and then read the file with winols.

8. Toyotec

I am a licensed Winols holder and have a professional e/eprom reader/writer.

The above is not an eprom, therefore other methods would be required to read the cache.

Hence asking electronics guru Trevor to chime in.

9. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

This is useful info: http://matthieu.benoit.free.fr/6805.htm and http://www.seanriddle.com/mc68705p5.html - how to dump the ROM using NUM mode.
    I've seen this done before using an ATmega32 controller as a "host" interface - in this case for a 6500 (basically an embedded 6502) which controls the keyboard on an Amiga: http://e4aws.silverdr.com/hacks/6500_1/

Sounds like one for Trevor.
    (Also sounds like a lot of effort for a 25+ year old dead ECU that could be replaced fairly easily with MS.. but still an interesting exercise perhaps).

10. ivanro_jo Forum Member

Yes, sorry I had no idea, I thougth it would be easier but could be a very good option for people who want to let original injection.

11. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

6805? that takes me back....
    Jon

12. ivanro_jo Forum Member

So if we could read the data of EF6805R2PV could be wrotten in the eeprom version 68705R3? for next readings and mods?

And the last question, when we will be able to read the datasheet could be then moded by winols?

13. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Yes, probably older than a good chunk of the members on here. Pretty impressive what you could do with 64 bytes of RAM.

Would be nice to be able to change the map in this ECU but we must be getting to the point now where these [ECUs] are going to start failing soon. Can't believe that many of the capacitors are any good after 25 years in a box under the scuttle panel.

14. Toyotec

Indeed sounds like hassle in hindsight.

A MS is now ~ 400 quid if bought assembled. If you are in the know and can build them, then all in ~ 250 for the broken down unit.
    Then the installation, debug and finally tuning. Once again if you outsource labour you pay.
    All things equal, you are now able to deliver a matched fuel and spark table for the money spent and log data for each iteration.

KR ECU 30-40 quid to even free!
    A competent person who deals with ECUs would already have made an investment in burners and editing software.
    The next step is understanding how to read the contents of device.
    Once the device is read, then the bin must be defined.
    Knowing the addresses allows changes on road or dyno ( preferably the latter), but the next obstacle is how you would validate what the ECU is chucking out?

15. Ben_s Forum Member

Kstar units offer the ability to manipulate the ignition advance based on rpm. Surely this is a better option as all you need is a laptop and a cable? You are also able to set the global advance 'start point' through the software.

The one I have also controls an additional fuel injector that allows for crude adjustment of the mixture based on rpm as well

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

16. ivanro_jo Forum Member

Yes it will be the best option, but kstars nowadays are rare and expensive, I were trying to find one, but its almost imposible here in Spain, so remapping oem ecu could be a very interesting point.

17. Ben_s Forum Member

I bought one from a member on here, never got it running though due to the ecu being password protected. I fiddled for a bit and then put it in a box in the shed.

I no longer have a car to connect it to lol

18. ivanro_jo Forum Member

would you sell it? although without the ecu password will very almodt imposible to make it run.

19. Ben_s Forum Member

I was planning to keep it incase I ended up with another kjet but I'm currently looking for a vr6 or a decent she'll to put one into so I'll probably never use the kstar. As you say, without the password it's not much use. I wouldn't want to sell it on knowing that it's password protected.

I'm pretty sure that it would be possible to remove the password by reflashing the chip in the kstar but without the proper equipment (and knowledge lol) it would be a bit difficult. I had planned to speak to stealth racing about it but gave up when the car died