mk1 wheels

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by kitbpayne, Nov 20, 2004.

1. kitbpayne New Member

i've got a mk1 golf and want some wide as wheels on it. does anyone know how low i can go on what width wheels without to much work.
    Edited by: kitbpayne

2. AxlFoley Forum Junkie

it all depends on the offset, mine is lowerd about 40mm with 7" rims et 24, they rub on th eback with more than 1 person :)

how wide do you want to go ?
    Edited by: AxlFoley

3. kitbpayne New Member

what size are your wheels. I want to stay at 13", maybe push to 14". I want them as wide as possible without too much work!

4. mk1vdub Forum Member

riley has 9x14s on the back of his and reports no probs with srubbage, but with coilies on the hardest setting
    to be honest I don't think there would be much point in going past 9" as it would start to look a bit silly IMO

5. young dub Forum Member

Go for some 8x14's or 8x15's. I personally think cars look silly when they're on 13's and there sitting high, even thought there lowered something like 80-90mm, when youve got 13's youve gotta drop it atleast something like 110mm-120mm to get 'the look' and have it looking really cool, thing is its very impractical to drive round on 13's with a drop of 80-90mm and probably impossible with a 110mm-120mm drop! For example:
    [​IMG]
    this was at ed38 and is rolling on 8x13's, this was probably the lowest car there! But only because it was on 13's, im guessing he had a 100mm drop on it, and as you can see its very close to the floor but still has quite a big gap in his arches! Trust me this thing was looooow! The exhaust was something like 3-5cm off the floor :o

To run 8x14's and have 'the look' you still have to have it dropped 85-95mm, this will still be close to the ground and will still get you problems with ground clearance and such. Here a pic of Vw_Singhs car that was posted the other week, I think these are 8x14's with the perfect drop, but i still think he would have had to be careful when driving.

[​IMG]

I think your best bet will be 8x15's with 195/45's, dont have it dropped 80-90mm, just something like 70mm,run the deep GTi spoiler and have just the right gap between the arches. Heres a pic of a car that demonstrates this:
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps you with your decision.

6. kitbpayne New Member

cheers for your help. i like the look of the black one. 8x15 it will probably be. if dropped 80mm do you know if and what arch work would be needed.

7. MrBen Forum Junkie

Another superb answer from young dub - I can't wait to see what this kid builds when he hits 17!!

8. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

yep,i think that covers most options :lol: [:D]

imo 8x15 is the best size for a mk1... :)

9. Carbs4ever Forum Member

I phoned Eurotek for a price for ronal ls's he said only available as a 7.5" with an et of 25.

I would quite like these - can anyone see any major diffs with clearance - the bloke said run a 195/45/15 tyre and this would solve any clearance trouble???

10. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

im not a 100% m8 but i think you may be ok with that.
    i run an 8x14 et 35 on front with 195/45,if i didnt have coilovers they would catch the shocks... [:s]

11. Carbs4ever Forum Member

ET 25 pushes the wheel further towards the arch doesn't it?

12. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

yeah,so being 15" i dont know if youll have probs with arches depending on the drop you have? :)
    Edited by: riley

13. mk1vdub Forum Member

I run 7x15s et 26 with a 50 profile tyre and they don't really catch anywhere, the rears will with fat b*stards in but I think thats only 'cause my shocks are fecked :lol:

7.5 with 45 rubber should be alright depending on suspension choice :)

they can always be rolled fairly easily

14. Carbs4ever Forum Member

I'm thinkin of a 60mm drop - just wondering with the 7.5" rim will it clear the struts? Rub the spring seat or spring?

Anyone run a 7.5" rim with ordinary sports shocks i.e. not coilovers?

Thanks for replies and apologiose for high jack! :)

15. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

I think zak ran a 60mm drop without coilovers and 15*?? wheels?

Dont think he had any probs with them,

youd have to ask him tho, cant remember exaclty tho!

16. mk1vdub Forum Member

with an et of 25 I don't think you'll have to be worrying about hitting the strut, it'll be hitting/rubbing/catching the arch thats the problem - with a 60mm drop it'd probably be wise to get the arches rolled

17. fthaimike Forum Addict

im running 7x15 et32? with 195/50/15's & had to get the rear arches folded

18. young dub Forum Member

Yeah thats correct, there were Boge shocks with 60mm Raceland lowering springs. The wheels were 7x15 et25 with 195/45 toyos.

I think you should be find with a 7.5" with et25 because as the wheels are slightly wider the tyre will be more streched, therefore giving you bit more clearance in the arches.

19. young dub Forum Member

To be honest im not too sure on that one, your best bet would be to just do some archwork, just cut some slits into the arch on the inside where it folds, and bend it back, then using some of the remaining holes just use some rivets or screws to hold the plastic arch which goes on the outside in place, or you could run it de-arched.

Cheers mate [:D] :p

20. ManicGTI Forum Member

hmmm, i've got 7x15s, et36, 195.50.15 tyres and it scrapes my coilies on the inside..somethings dodgy there but I want it back down on 14s or 13s anyway :p

cutting slits in rear arches [:s]. hmm. Looks like I may as well do this when I get to sorting out the rears. Hadn't thought of cutting slits, good plan that man. i'll grind the paint off first and reweld once its bent back just in case :)