MK3 headlights not working

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by rubduckofdeath, Dec 30, 2005.

1. rubduckofdeath New Member

Hi guys, new here :-)

I've got a Mk3 Golf GTI and the headlights don't work. The side lights do. Anyone care to suggest the most common things to check, first?

Lee.

2. MrBen Forum Junkie

Presuming you've checked the bulbs, check the fuses - number 1 and 2.

If that doesn't help, check if the headlights come on dimly when the ignition is off, but go off when the ignition is on - I had this problem on my old GTI after an alarm fitter cocked up a bit of wiring, but a knackered ignition switch could also do this.

Beyond that, could be a number of things - dodgy earth, knackered switch, dead relay etc etc. Did they just stop working, or did you have any other problems?

3. rubduckofdeath New Member

Hey Ben,

Thanks for the reply. I've checked the bulbs and the fuses. The main beam works, as do the side lights, these run on the same earth as the dipped beam don't they? If so, earth should be okay. The dipped beams don't come on at all whether the ignition is on, or off. So that would mean it's probably a relay or a switch, right? Or wrong? :-)

Which relay are the dipped beams on on a mk3?

Thanks in advance :-)

Lee.

4. rubduckofdeath New Member

Quick question: does anyone know which pins on the back of the switch unit I should test with a meter for the dipped beam to see if the switch is leaving an open circuit?

Cheers :-)

Lee.