garage wiring questions....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AndrewF, Jan 30, 2006.

1. AndrewF Forum Addict

am running the wires for the lighting in my garage (an electrician will be connecting them up, but i need to run then to the lights first), and have a couple of q's...

does the wire coming out of the fuse box need to go to the switch, or to the light (and then another wire from there to the switch)?

is it ok to use 2.5mm squared cable?

2. Raider Forum Member

length of Flex in water pipe buried.... plug on one end and 4 bar socket on the other :thumbup: :lol:
    Edited by: Raider

3. damogti Forum Junkie

4. AndrewF Forum Addict

:lol:

i have a fuse box in my garage [:D] , but i don't even wanna think what happens beyond that considering the state of the rest of the wiring in this house.

5. prof Forum Addict

will you want to be able to swith off the same light from either end?

6. AndrewF Forum Addict

yeah, there will be two lights connected to same switch

7. Ramblin Forum Member

i have just fitted 2 strip lights and 3 double sockets with ring main and fuse box to my garage and it is a piece of urine. All i need to do is run a 6mm 3 core hi tuff cable from main board in house and connect to MCB.

sorted.

8. prof Forum Addict

16mm cable 70ft up to my garage.....there's loads of feck off industrial size switch units in there, i must have a good look at it at some point

9. AndrewF Forum Addict

ok...the wiring from the house to the garage is already there, i had lighting in the garage already but the wirign in the garage was a joke. so am re-wiring whole lot.

just i took the approach of ripping it all down and then starting again....so not sure whether the wire come out fuse box and goes to lamp, or to switch?...previously it when into what looked like WW2 junction boxes! :lol:

10. mark25 Forum Junkie

Wire to the light first. Use 1.5mm squared cable for lights.

11. markmk3 Forum Member

Hope this helps and use 1.5mm2, the colours of wires need to be in accordance with new BS standard - the actual colours will depend on what their are currently and what their is in the consumer unit.

[​IMG]

12. prof Forum Addict

if you have 2 doors to the garage then look at an intermediate switch so you can switch from either end, you'll want some 4 core for that tho
    Edited by: prof

13. AndrewF Forum Addict

damn it...that means i have to run a fair few more wires.

is there no way to send the power supply directly to the switch? i have two lamps running off one switch, so gonna be lots of cables everywhere:(

good idea prof, but isn't really necessary as the large doors bolt up from inside only, and i prefer the lights off when reversing in at night.

14. prof Forum Addict

well you can get it to work all sorts of ways, but best to stick to the regs,

oh and turn the whole lot off not just the breaker, as the neutral side is still connected even with the breaker off, which i didn't think of until TSC put me right [:$] :lol:

15. AndrewF Forum Addict

i'm not 'pluging it in' so to speak....just running the lengths of wire.

16. Ramblin Forum Member

i ran cable from board in garage to one side of the switch and then fed another 3 core cable to the first light and then 3 core from there to the 2nd light.

17. markmk3 Forum Member

consumer unit to light - 1 cable.
    light to switch 1 cable
    light to light 1 cable
    3 cables - a few cable clips, hammer and a cup of coffee job done.

18. AndrewF Forum Addict

oh i think i'm getting it now (i never thought i'd find it so hard to get my head around garage lighting...still, good to learn new stuff)

i don't need to run a wire from switch to both lights, just to the first light? right?

19. markmk3 Forum Member

yep you've got it

on the diagram i posted, this is for a two room scenerio or if you wanted two seperate lights and switches in a garage - maybe the lighting outside and inside so you could switch independently.

What you need to do is:
    the second light will take its connections from the ceiling rose of the first at the connector block with the red cable that comes down to the bulb as well as the connector that has the blue cable coming down to the bulb and finally the earth.

I will try and draw it on a paintbox file and attach - give me a while though.

20. markmk3 Forum Member

yep you've got it

on the diagram i posted, this is for a two room scenerio or if you wanted two seperate lights and switches in a garage - maybe the lighting outside and inside so you could switch independently.

What you need to do is:
    the second light will take its connections from the ceiling rose of the first at the connector block with the red cable that comes down to the bulb as well as the connector that has the blue cable coming down to the bulb and finally the earth.

I will try and draw it on a paintbox file and attach - give me a while though.