mk2 20vt oil pressure buzzer

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by deebee, Apr 3, 2006.

1. deebee Forum Member

i have some wiring issues on my golf, after 20vt conversion i am have an intermittent rev counter, sometimes works perfect other times not at all; any ideas?

also i cant get the water tempertaure to work, everyone keeps telling me just to find the wire that fed the original water temp gauge, just ground it and the gauge will go up, and thats the one to wire the sensor to , but none of the wires affect the gauge at all?

any ideas more than welcome because im get jacked off with it!!

2. shane d Forum Member

Did you do the wiring yourself or get a qpec loom?

3. deebee Forum Member

no the engine loom came from voodoo with the dta managment, but the instrument loom im trying to do myself i have

a yellow wire
    a blue/black wire
    and a green black wire what do these wires work oil pressure/temp/water temp etc?

4. Davs Forum Member

if you're trying to use the stock mk2 clocks then i think you need to fit the TWO oil pressure senders from your old lump (or get some new ones). one is for 0.3bar and the other 1.8bar.

take the 20v one out and put one in there. then take the metal bung out of the hole thats also on the housing and put the other in there. join them to your mk2 wires.

for the rev counter, you need to get in touch with Jabbasport who will send you a unit that you fit inline to make the rev counter work, bout 60.

For the coolant temp gauge, you could get a mk3 1.9TD radiator top hose, this has its coolant temp sensor mounted there and im 80% sure the sensor from the mk3 will also drive your gauge properly.

HTH

Davs

5. rupe Forum Member

Yellow wire is oil pressure
    Blue/black is oil pressure
    Green/black wire is oil temperature for mfa

Yellow/red wire will be the coolant gauge, so need to find that one :)

6. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

I wish someone could have told me about the jabbasports box of tricks 1 year ago! I may have to contact them!

DeeBee - Are you wantin to use mk4 clocks?

I'm suprised you get the rev counter working at all with the dta unless someone has put something on your loom

7. bens_cab Forum Junkie

would the above wiring colours be the same as a mk1 cab gti 1988??

as ive got to do the same to mine aswell as find 12v feeds for the injectors and the coilpacks

8. deebee Forum Member

no im not using mk4 clocks just the original mk2 ones, the rev counter just connects from the dta loom to the tacho wire in the scuttle, i just connected it all as per voodoos instructions

9. deebee Forum Member

and thanks for that rupe, thats solved a bit of a mystery!

10. rupe Forum Member

Yes they're the same colour wires, not sure about the green/black for oil temp as I did'nt think mk1's had that on the mfa? The ignition live that supplies your old coil would be black if that would be suitable, alternatively you should find a few spare places on the rear of the fusebox if you want to run new wires in. Of course if your doing anysort of electrical work on your car, you've got a multimeter right? so you can check these things;) :p

11. rupe Forum Member

Just as a note, the oil pressure circuitry in the clocks that operate the buzzer over 2k rpm gets it's signal from the rev counter wire so if the rev counters not working right then neither will the oil pressure circuit function correctly.

12. shane d Forum Member

Find the multiloom plug that controls the dash. It is black with pink insert.There are 5 wires in it. The light green one is the rev counter the light blue one is the coolant temperature. The blue/green is coolant level. Hope this is of some help.Can you tell me what management etc you got and what it cost. I'm fairly sure that an AGU engine i.e. 1.8T with throttle cable can be wired in to mk 2 loom without much bother without the need for aftermarket management???

13. DarrenE Forum Member

Does anyone have a firm solution to getting the mk2 rev counter to work with dta management?

14. Rallye_Will Forum Member

You just connect the black wire that used to go to the coil to the relevant pin of the DTA, i can find out the pin number if you like. I've done a couple now and had no problems.

15. DarrenE Forum Member

It's pin 9 that you are talking about. The dta gives out a digital signal and my counter accepts an analogue signal so they are not compatible. Its ok though, I just made up a custom loom from the coil that has sorted out the problem.

16. DarrenE Forum Member

Hmmm slight problem, I connected 1 wire to each trigger wire coming out of the coil, each wire then runs through a 1k 3w resistor which then both join to a single wire that runs to my rev counter. The rev counter runs absolutely perfect, but the car was misfiring, the fact that after the resistors, the wires are joined therefore connecting both trigger wires and confusing the signals. I initially tried 2 1k 0.5w resistors which didnt work - can anyone help?