Oettinger 16v 2.0ltr in a Mk11

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Edd_W, Nov 24, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Edd_W New Member

Hi,
    I am technically a noob on this forum although I do post quite a lot on the Audiworld US site.
    I have a 1986 Mk11 which I have had since 1988. It has about 45k miles on it and is as you would expect, fairly tidy.

It has been stored for about the last 9 years in a garage on my parents farm but the time has come to do something with it.

I fitted a 2.0ltr Oettinger 16v out of an ex-Ted Toleman Mk1 I had before I bought the Mk11.
    I bought the correct Mk11 inlet manifold and had a four branch tubular exhaust manifold made up. It still use K-Jet. The rest of the car is fairly original except for full Bilstien kit and Ronal 15" wheels.

My question is really the what is the best thing to do with it?

It starts and runs well although I am not able to drive it until I do something about getting it road legal again.
    I would possibly sell it as-is but I feel it is probably worth more either as parts or at least with an MOT.

Any suggestions?

PS It is a white 3 door just pre-facelift with original deck-chair upolstery etc....
    I can post photo's.

HarryT likes this.
  2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Get it on the road and drive it!! That's the best thing to do with it. If you sell it as a non-runner, you won't get much for it.

Or did you have a more specific question in mind?

Is it one of the Oettinger 16v engines based on the VW 16v, or one of their specials from before the KR 16v was released? What's the engine code?

HarryT likes this.
  3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Sounds like the pre-KR to me, if it has had the 'right' manifold bought for it. They're mad inlet manifolds, with a water channel running through.

I'm surprised it's 2-litre though - if it started in a Mk1 (IIRC), it should be a 1600.

4. Edd_W New Member

You guys are spot on, it is an EG block with a

genuine and very rare Oettinger forged crank.

I think the bore is 82mm or 81.5, cannot quite remember without looking at my records but it works out at 1972cc with quite a long stroke. The pistons are Mahle made for oettinger, flat top with valve recesses and, obviously, a revised Oettinger head. Revised because it is the later modified one which has sleeves round the plugs to stop the problem with the alloy being porus and coolant leaking into the plug hole.

I still have the Mk1 inlet and exhaust manifolds as well so the engine could be fitted back into a Mk1.

Driving it no longer really appeals like it once did. I probably need to get it on the road then leave the A6 at home for a couple of days a week to get back into noisy, bumpy travel, but at least be able to feel the road again - C5 A6's have never had particularly good feedback throu=gh the wheel, even with 35 profile tyres.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  5. Neal H Forum Member

So Ed, did you get the car running and on the road in the end? I am very curious to see some pictures of the oettinger head...

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Me too! Pics, dammit!! [;D]

Or if you want to sell it as a non runner, it's worth about two hundred quid ;)

7. jamesa Forum Junkie

... could this be the start of an auction :lol:

8. Neal H Forum Member

Lol, I don't know what you are talking about... ;)

9. dubDREAD

dubDREAD Forum Member

NICE !! i am very interested in this

show us PICS[:D] [:D] please:p :p

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

He was last seen in 2007!

HarryT and radial like this.
  11. HarryT New Member

Can you help me with a mk1 toleman Golf I’ve stumbled across? Need help with provenance!

12. HarryT New Member

Hi can you help me with I’m trying to find the original oettinger engine for my mk1 toleman golf!

13. scirocco-turbo Forum Member